Broncos Best Ever NYC Team

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Thought I'd post these here as it's the off-season and there's not much else footy related to talk about. The Broncos website is celebrating the end of the NYC by releasing one position per day to fill out the best team of NYC players we've had in our U20 team.

I'll update it daily as they continue to release the names.

Team -

1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. Dane Gagai
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. TBA
15. TBA
16. TBA
17. TBA

Last edited:
Day 1 - Fullback https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/12/20/broncos-best-ever-nyc-team---fullback/

Kodi Nikorima was always going to be a star in the National Youth Competition, but he has gone on to do much more than that.

That is why he earns the fullback’s spot in the Broncos’ best team of 10 years in the National Youth Competition, a series that begins today and will run over the Christmas-New Year period.

It was a difficult team to select with the Broncos having some great players that have played through this competition since its inception in 2008.

But for argument’s sake – and with the competition going back to State League level in 2018 - the team was chosen based on what the player did not only as an NYC competitor, but also what they have done in the NRL and in senior representative football.

Subsequently, Nikorima has been chosen as the fullback for not only his play in the under-20s, but for what he has achieved in his short career to date.

He beat out some handy fullbacks – who may or may not make the Broncos’ final NYC selected team.

This includes players of the calibre of Jordan Kahu, Josh Hoffman and his own brother Jayden Nikorima, as well as current NYC fullback Corey Allan.

After making his NRL debut for the Broncos fresh out of the NRL in round two of the 2015, Kodi Nikorima entrenched himself as a utility off the bench.

He went on to play in the NRL Grand Final in his first year.

He has covered hooker and fullback and this year cemented himself as a long-term half for the Broncos.

He made his Test debut for the Kiwis in 2015, and once again suited up for the country of his birth at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Day 2 - Wingers https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/12/21/broncos-best-ever-nyc-team---wingers/

They are two very different styles of wingers, who were both destined for early stardom.

Corey Oates and Jharal Yow Yeh were instant hits when they played in the under 20s, and were soon slated to head directly the NRL.

That is why they earn the wingers’ spots in the Broncos’ best team of 10 years in the National Youth Competition.

It has been a difficult team to select with the Broncos having some great players that have moved through this competition since its inception in 2008.

But for argument’s sake – and with the competition going back to State League level in 2018 - the team was chosen based on what the player did not only as an NYC competitor, but also what they have done in the NRL and in senior representative football.

Back in 2008 Yow Yeh was almost immediately identified as a ‘try sneak’, having an innate ability to get over the line.

In the first year of the NYC he scored a try in the Grand Final that defied belief – dispossessing an opponent of the ball almost casually, then turning around and running back the 40 metres to the try line.

He would make his NRL debut by the age of 19 and score in his first game, playing for Queensland and Australia by 21 before a shocking dislocated and broken ankle effectively ruined his career.

Oates on the other hand was more of a forward in the NYC competition, before his freakish combination of size and speed moved him to the wing soon after he made his NRL debut at age 18.

It did not seem right that a player this big could move that fast, and the open pastures of the wing paid dividends for him.

He would make his Origin debut at age 21 for Queensland, and has become one of the most damaging hit-up wingers in the game while showing off his accomplished finishing skills.

I would have had Gagai, in attack he was exceptional in his 61 games on the wing and fullback. 39 tries and 74/113goals.

If I was picking a side, I’d go:

1. KNik
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Opacic
5. Yow Yeh
6. McCullough
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. JNik
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Taylor
15. Arrow
16. Joffa
17. Su’a

1. KNik
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Opacic
5. Yow Yeh
6. McCullough
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. JNik
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Taylor
15. Arrow
16. Joffa
17. Su’a

McCullough at six? Did he play there a lot coming through the ranks? Same with JNik, did he play 9 a fair bit?

**** that's a good team, though.

1. KNik
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Opacic
5. Yow Yeh
6. McCullough
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. JNik
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Taylor
15. Arrow
16. Joffa
17. Su’a

Fifita literally didn't play a game for the NYC team, so he won't be there lol.

1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. Dale Copley
4. Dane Gagai
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Jai Arrow

14. Jayden Nikorima
15. Pattrick Carrigan
16. Tariq Sims
17. Caleb Timu

That'd be my best guess.. Under the assumption that we're picking the team based on how they performed in the NYC, not how they've performed since the NYC.

1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. Dale Copley
4. Dane Gagai
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Jai Arrow

14. Jayden Nikorima
15. Pattrick Carrigan
16. Tariq Sims
17. Caleb Timu

That'd be my best guess.. Under the assumption that we're picking the team based on how they performed in the NYC, not how they've performed since the NYC.

That looks good. Pretty much every one of these players was heavily hyped in the 20s, they were killing it I guess.

Broncos had 17 players in the teams of the year.

Yow Yeh
Hunt
Gagai x 2
Sims
Clayton
Baptiste
Timu
Oates
Drew
Taylor
Berrell
Ofahenguaue
Arrow
Nikorima
Su'a
Carrigan
Haas

Berrell is my dark horse at hooker, he was exceptional. Most capped Broncos' player 82 and second most for the comp. He was just great at doing his job.

I would have had Gagai, in attack he was exceptional in his 61 games on the wing and fullback. 39 tries and 74/113goals.

4524 metres in 2010 and breaking 275 tackles.
Three times he broke 20 tackles in games.
Only guy named at two positions in team of the year- wing and fullback.

Berrell is my dark horse at hooker, he was exceptional. Most capped Broncos' player 82 and second most for the comp. He was just great at doing his job.

What happened to him? Why hasn't he been given a shot? Is he even still on our books?

McCullough at six? Did he play there a lot coming through the ranks? Same with JNik, did he play 9 a fair bit?

**** that's a good team, though.

Yeah Macca played mostly 6 in the 20s from memory and JNik was a bit of a Mr. Fixit but I loved what he did at 9 when he went there, hence why I would love to see us sign him if he can show he wants it next year.

1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. Dale Copley
4. Dane Gagai
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Jai Arrow

14. Jayden Nikorima
15. Pattrick Carrigan
16. Tariq Sims
17. Caleb Timu

They are picking based on NYC and NRL and even rep performances.

Last edited:
1. Kodi Nikorima
2. Corey Oates
3. Dale Copley
4. Dane Gagai
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Ben Hunt
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Jaydn Su'A
13. Jai Arrow

14. Jayden Nikorima
15. Pattrick Carrigan
16. Tariq Sims
17. Caleb Timu

Caleb timu... what a waste of talent that was.

Edit: Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:

Unread

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • Scorchie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  • scobie
  • theshed
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.