Broncos cap spending

Macca, Oates, Fleg and Offa were some of the dumbest desperate deals in recent times.

Add milf for "bang for buck" and you have comfortably chewking up 1m above what they should be.

Last edited:
Macca, Oates, Fleg and Offa were some of the dumbest desperate deals in recent times.

Add milf for "bang for buck" and you have comfortably chewking up 1m above what they should be.
I dont really understand how Oates managed to get $500k-$600k.

Didn't he sign in like October before he would've been out of a contract??

He was basically the last player we signed into our top 30 and literally didn't have a job lined up in a couple weeks (had he not signed), but somehow we give him top dollar and 2 years of PO!!

Again how the **** does anyone in recruitment and retention still have a job???

Probably have to be prepared to lose Flegler, as he's absolutely not worth keeping on this kind of money again (assuming he's really on 600K). Next thing we hear is Coates being re-signed for 700K or something.

Last edited:
Then they'll sue Nashy for illegally reproducing their article.

E:Also as far as I know Macca is off contract for 21.

Double edit: apparently you already know that as it's in the text but the image has him as 2q, 22?
Yep you’re correct. I’ll have to edit that. Strange because I did know he was off contract after 21.

I dont really understand how Oates managed to get $500k-$600k.

Didn't he sign in like October before he would've been out of a contract??

He was basically the last player we signed into our top 30 and literally didn't have a job lined up in a couple weeks (had he not signed), but somehow we give him top dollar and 2 years of PO!!

Again how the **** does anyone in recruitment and retention still have a job???

because when he signed he was scoring 15-20 tries a season, and getting bigger offers from rival clubs

How tf did lodge get 700k

because he was one of our best props, on the fringe of Origin selection (he probably would have been selected if he was playing for a NSW club) and getting offers of $1 million a season from 2 or 3 clubs.

with Lodge you need to think of 2020 as an anomaly, given he was rushed back from a serious knee injury and playing on a broken fucking leg.

a fully fit Lodge is worth every cent of that 700k

because when he signed he was scoring 15-20 tries a season, and getting bigger offers from rival clubs

because he was one of our best props, on the fringe of Origin selection (he probably would have been selected if he was playing for a NSW club) and getting offers of $1 million a season from 2 or 3 clubs.

with Lodge you need to think of 2020 as an anomaly, given he was rushed back from a serious knee injury and playing on a broken fucking leg.

a fully fit Lodge is worth every cent of that 700k

I remember lodge being solid with a bit of aggression but never setting the world on fire. I could be seriously mistaken though. What were his numbers like?

But he had no bargaining room... he most likely signed 2yr worth of PO because he thought he had more salary to gain, which would mean Broncos thought that $500k was cheap for what they were getting.

$500k-$600k is absolute top tier for a winger and I wouldn't consider him to be top tier.

He's been serviceable as a winger, but to me he's always been suspect under the high ball, is the Queen Mary when chasing a ball kicked behind him, has no agility and despite playing on the left wing still has no awareness that maybe he should carry in his left hand to fend off incoming defenders.

I think he would be a serviceable second rower, but his quotes suggest that he's adamant about being a winger

He fell into a wing position and has stayed there because of a dearth of wingers at the Broncos since Wendell and Lote (JYY being the exception)

Our best wingers right now are Herbie and Coates, and Coates still has a lot of work to even become a good winger... at the moment he's just tall.

Last edited:
I remember lodge being solid with a bit of aggression but never setting the world on fire. I could be seriously mistaken though. What were his numbers like?

2018 (first year back in the NRL after a 3 year absence)

Games Played:
Tackle Breaks: 55
Post Contact Meters: 1126 (Avg: 45m per game)
Total Meters: 3332 (Avg: 133 per game)
Total Tackles: 571 (Avg: 22 per game)
Missed Tackles: 49 (Avg 1.96 per game)

Games Played:
Tackle Breaks: 74
Post Contact Meters: 1078 (Avg: 49m per game)
Total Meters: 3372 (Avg: 153 per game)
Total Tackles: 644 (Avg: 29 per game)
Missed Tackles: 54 (Avg 2.4 per game)

so not only did he improve in his second year back from his enforced NRL absence, but he did it under Seibold

Last edited:
But he had no bargaining room... he most likely signed 2yr worth of PO because he thought he had more salary to gain, which would mean Broncos thought that $500k was cheap for what they were getting.

$500k-$600k is absolute top tier for a winger and I wouldn't consider him to be top tier.

He's been serviceable as a winger, but to me he's always been suspect under the high ball, is the Queen Mary when chasing a ball kicked behind him, has no agility and despite playing on the left wing still has no awareness that maybe he should carry in his left hand to fend off incoming defenders.

I think he would be a serviceable second rower, but his quotes suggest that he's adamant about being a winger

He fell into a wing position and has stayed there because of a dearth of wingers at the Broncos since Wendell and Lote (JYY being the exception)

Our best wingers right now are Herbie and Coates, and Coates still has a lot of work to even become a good winger... at the moment he's just tall.

at the time we signed him, 500k wasn't overs, it was about right (especially given he was a rep winger) ... he went backwards under Seibold, but he was hardly the only one

View attachment 10533

I used media reported figures and then I tried to use conservative estimates. Players that have had quite a few games or have had new contracts since debuting I've tacked on a bit. 400k for Staggs current contract is probably too high now I think about it. I'd be surprised if Pie's got Kennedy at min wage.

Let me know if there is any huge issues. The concerning thing is that we have a lot of players that are now open to offers, and we don't have a great deal of cash to upgrade them:
- Riki
- Coates
- Staggs
- Turping
- Dearden

Thats a few hundred k there for upgrades. We do potentially rid ourselves of Glenn, Macca, Flegler, and Milford at the end of 21 if needed so that could free up close to $2.5m if reports are to be believed.
We cant be honestly paying Flegler that much surely.

Feel bad for Patty and Haas though, they are our best players being paid peanuts.

at the time we signed him, 500k wasn't overs, it was about right (especially given he was a rep winger) ... he went backwards under Seibold, but he was hardly the only one
Yes, but to me the issue is that they paid him as if he was a top tier winger and I've never considered him to be a top tier winger (as per my reasons above)... he just happens to be a second rower that can finish really really well.

Doesn't mean he isn't an NRL level player and I think he looked really good for us as a second rower (although I do question his commitment to make it as a second rower).

His comments suggest he's become complacent and sees himself as a top winger even though he's not (to me).. otherwise wouldn't he be in origin over fucking Sami??

I've said a few times that he has a great opportunity to make it as Glenn's replacement now that Fifita is gone and to me TPJ is a middle forward.

Piakura is the next coming through, but who else do we have for 2nd row.

People are pissed about Offa getting $500k (as am I in hindsight), but Oates is probably $100k-$200k overpriced as well... and he literally didn't have a job within about 4 weeks if he didn't sign somewhere.

It just seems an inability by the R&R team to adequately assess a player's value on the market and within the team.. which should be the primary requirement of their role

Last edited:
The only data we have for certain is the contract lengths and player options accumulated on sites like Zero Tackle. Unless we have a player agent hidden among the members here, dollar figures would be speculation. The only amounts we can really be sure of are Milford's million a year, Boyd's 800k that he thankfully won't claim and Flegler reportedly being worth about 600k.
Really? You're certain Boyd was going to get 800k? Source please(bearing in mind you claim the source is unimpeachable)

Active Now

• Alec
  • sooticus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • LGH
  • Lurker
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.