Broncos cap spending

2018 (first year back in the NRL after a 3 year absence)

Games Played:
Tackle Breaks: 55
Post Contact Meters: 1126 (Avg: 45m per game)
Total Meters: 3332 (Avg: 133 per game)
Total Tackles: 571 (Avg: 22 per game)
Missed Tackles: 49 (Avg 1.96 per game)

Games Played:
Tackle Breaks: 74
Post Contact Meters: 1078 (Avg: 49m per game)
Total Meters: 3372 (Avg: 153 per game)
Total Tackles: 644 (Avg: 29 per game)
Missed Tackles: 54 (Avg 2.4 per game)

so not only did he improve in his second year back from his enforced NRL absence, but he did it under Seibold
His defence noticeably declined.

Lodge is a Rep level prop, it's more or less his value, this season shouldn't give you a short memory.
I think at the time he MAYBE was. But $700k would make him one of, if not the highest paid prop would it not? Other high paid forwards are locks and second row.

Second to that, the rules changes and he is too slow and doesn't run hard enough in my opinion. Same goes for Offa, new rules do not suit either player due to slow leg speed.

Looking at the top rich players thread and comparing other similarly priced middle players to Lodge's 2019 (who is on 650K according to that thread).
Should also be noted that Lodge has missed more tackles than most of these players.

52. Sio Siua Taukeiaho - Sydney Roosters - $680,000.
Comparing their 2019 stats, Lodge was a little better in attack, while SST was a little better in defence. I'd still say SST is the more proven player who delivered in big games.

56. Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders - $660,000.
Papa is undoubtedly better at club level.

58. Dylan Napa - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - $650,000
Lodge definitely beats Napa.

59. Josh McGuire - North Queensland Cowboys - $650,000
Lodge's 2019 is better than McGuire's 2019 and similar to McGuire's 2020. Probably not a whole lot between them, but McGuire has shown he adjusted to the new rules pretty well.

62. Paul Vaughan - St George Illawarra Dragons - $650,000
I felt like Vaughan has been declining a bit, but statistically he's had one of his most productive years, even if he only played 15 games. Probably not a lot between them.

63. Junior Paulo - Parramatta Eels - $650,000
Paulo has been incredibly dominant this year and won a NSW spot. Most would take him over Lodge.

65. Shannon Boyd - Gold Coast Titans - $650,000
66. Jarrod Wallace - Gold Coast Titans - $650,000
Lodge pretty much smashes them, but Titans fixed their mistakes.

67. Matt Lodge - Brisbane Broncos - $650,000
Way too hard to compare.

68. Adam Blair - Warriors - $625,000
Lodge beats him.

72. Aaron Woods - Cronulla Sharks - $600,000
Statistically he's been OK, Lodge beats him in attack and Woods wins in defence.

75. Addin Fonua-Blake - Manly Sea Eagles - $600,000
AFN is arguably the best front rower in the NRL when he's switched on, he wins for me.

79. Dale Finucane - Melbourne Storm -$550,000
He's playing for NSW, but none of his years compare to Lodge's 2019 statistically.

82. Joe Tapine - Canberra Raiders - $550,000
Had his breakout year this year, so he's definitely adjusted to the rules. Doesn't average as many metres in attack, has more offloads, tackle breaks and less missed tackles.

84. Nelson Asofa Solomona - Melbourne Storm - $550,000
Similar stats to Tapine.

Lodge might be a bit overpriced if he's on $700K, but not by a whole lot.

thought mcguire was @800k a season for four years

really it was the rule changes and a broken leg this season that has made the 700k seem a bit pricey
Exactly. You can't blame the club for either of those two things nor can you really blame lodge. Blame the nrl for the shitty rule changes

Exactly. You can't blame the club for either of those two things nor can you really blame lodge. Blame the nrl for the shitty rule changes
i think with out going back and watching 2019 again we never really had issues with making meters was the fact our halves couldnt organise a root in a brothel.

Which deals come into effect this year? Considering we're shedding between 1.5-2.5 (depending on Bird) this year, surely some of those are way too high.

Just my take on Lodge but I think the claim about him being unsuited to the new rules is hard to justify. In my opinion he hasn't had a fair chance to play under the new rules. I can't understand how people can buy into the narrative that he's not suitable when he was so severely hampered by injury.

I think he'll be great value in 21 given an injury free run.

Just my take on Lodge but I think the claim about him being unsuited to the new rules is hard to justify. In my opinion he hasn't had a fair chance to play under the new rules. I can't understand how people can buy into the narrative that he's not suitable when he was so severely hampered by injury.

I think he'll be great value in 21 given an injury free run.

I agree. Some people think he ‘can’t run fast enough’ but seem to ignore that for part of the season he was playing on an undiagnosed broken leg and for a large part, was playing with a partially torn ACL.

I doubt at any other club but ours, he even would have played, under these conditions, yet some ignore this situation and declare regardless he is no longer suited to the game...

Give him an injury free run and then decide, perhaps? Nah, too fair on him...

Last edited:
I agree. Some people think he ‘can’t run fast enough’ but seem to ignore that for part of the season he was playing on an undiagnosed broken leg and for a large part, was playing with a partially torn ACL.

I doubt at any other club but ours, he even would have played, under these conditions, yet some ignore this situation and declare regardless he is no longer suited to the game...

Give him an injury free run and then decide, perhaps? Nah, too fair on him...
Yes, Wayne wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of getting him here via Redcliffe Dolphins and sorting all the concessions required to start him in the NRL if he considered him anything less than a first class player. He‘s got some on field mongrel in him, something every team needs and what young players look up to.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.