Broncos Confirm 2018 Trials

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/01/08/broncos-confirm-2018-trials/

THE Brisbane Broncos will play trial games in country Queensland and Papua New Guinea after matches were confirmed today.

The Broncos’ final spot of February 17 will be filled with a match against the Gold Coast Titans in Toowoomba.

The two south-east Queensland rivals will meet at the Clive Berghofer Stadium on the Saturday night at a time yet to be confirmed.

Broncos’ chief executive Paul White said the 2018 warm-up program continued the Broncos’ long connection with travelling for trials to give communities a chance to experience an NRL match.

“The Broncos have always believed in trying to get out to regional centres to play trial matches,” he said.

“It is quite a few years since we have been to Toowoomba for a trial game, and we have always had a close connection with the Darling Downs city.

“That dates back to even before the Clydesdales were the Broncos’ feeder club.

“We are certain it will be a big night for Toowoomba and the surrounding communities, and are looking forward to playing another local derby against the Titans.”

The Broncos are expected to pick their full squad against the Gold Coast, as it is the only trial match against an NRL outfit.

The Broncos’ other two warm-up games will be played against Intrust Super clubs the Central Capras and PNG Hunters.

The Broncos will face the Capras at Theodore in Central Queensland on Saturday February 10, with kick-off at 6pm.

The final trial match before the Broncos’ March 8 season opener will be in the Papua New Guinean capital of Port Moresby, against the Hunters on Saturday February 24.

BRONCOS’ 2018 TRIALS

Saturday February 10 – Brisbane Broncos v Central Capras (Theodore, Central Queensland – 6pm)

Saturday February 17 - Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans (Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba – Time TBA)

Saturday February 24 – Brisbane Broncos v PNG Hunters (PNG National Football Stadium, Port Moresby – Time TBA)

It used to be Redcliffe and Storm pretty much every year before, wasn't it?

PNG is a good move though. Get some Broncos fans building up in there. Hopefully in the future some talented guys will want to play for us above all else.

Are we playing in the World Club Challenge as well?

Absolute bullshit that they aren't playing in Redcliffe this year.

Are we playing in the World Club Challenge as well?

I believe Bennett said no.

Then again, it's in Australia this year so he could decide to. I think he just said no because of the travel to the UK.

Anyone know what the go is with the ticketing for Theodore, or is it a freebie just-turn-up kind of thing? I'll be in the vicinity, so might go along and get the season started.

Did anyone else go to the trial game in Toowoomba against the Roosters where it was so foggy you couldn't see two metres in front of yourself?

Did anyone else go to the trial game in Toowoomba against the Roosters where it was so foggy you couldn't see two metres in front of yourself?
I'm not sure if it's the same match but I attended one at least 10 years ago (probably more) against the Roosters in Twba in those terrible conditions. We sat in the Nigger Brown stand and whenever we heard a cheer, we'd see Chris Walker running through the fog towards us. We went to another game a year later (vs Melb, I think) and the conditions were exactly the same. Maccas at Gatton on the way home was the highlight of the trip.

Sure did traveled from the Gold Coast, I would have rather been at that Raiders Tigers match with the snow, at least you got to watch the game. I think Nashy might have come along with myself and my old man for that one?

I'm not sure if it's the same match but I attended one at least 10 years ago (probably more) against the Roosters in Twba in those terrible conditions. We sat in the Nigger Brown stand and whenever we heard a cheer, we'd see Chris Walker running through the fog towards us. We went to another game a year later (vs Melb, I think) and the conditions were exactly the same. Maccas at Gatton on the way home was the highlight of the trip.
This one was about 17 years ago now but Chris Walker was only with us from 99-2002. He was my favourite player haha

Hasn't the relationship with Redcliffe soured? correct me if I'm wrong. Might be a reason why.

This one was about 17 years ago now but Chris Walker was only with us from 99-2002. He was my favourite player haha

Didn't graduate from putting the ball down to make it a certain try school though. My favourite player of that generation of players was Shaun Berrigan, also thought Ben Walker was going to really come of age in 2000 after a big season in 1999 but he fizzled. Shame I felt if he did he would have really made Lockyer's job that much easier when Kevin Walters retired. Scott Prince also but that shocking run of injuries killed that.

Last edited:
Yeah, 17 would be more like it. God, I'm getting old. Was also a fan of Chris Walker and I predicted greater things from him than actually occurred. We met Scott Minto and Phil Lee at Maccas after one of those matches. They were really nice guys. Despite the fog, those are great memories.

Phil Lee was an underrated player, handy and a good workhorse at the time could slot in at hooker or the back row. but on Toowoomba games, in general I miss our link with the defunct Clydesdales and the trial match we would have there.

Last edited:

Storm game Broncos lost 58-10 in 2006.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.