Broncos fan down...

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
For reference broncos fans down 9.5% from 2019. Thought Penrith would be higher lol

Not as bad as I thought it would be for us.

ROY MORGAN’S 2020 NRL FAN BASE PER CLUB

Broncos (930,000)

Storm (901,000)

Cowboys (535,000)

Rabbitohs (470,000)

Tigers (409,000)

Dragons (354,000)

Eels (334,000)

Roosters (298,000)

Knights (238,000)

Sharks (237,000)

Sea Eagles (237,000)

Bulldogs (218,000)

Raiders (209,000)

Panthers (184,000)

Titans (150,000)

Warriors (144,000) - Warriors figure only includes Australian-based fans

How do they calculate this?
Math 🙂

giphy.gif

How do they calculate this?
They do an annual survey of 50k Aussies each year and ask them a bunch of questions. And then math.

For reference broncos fans down 9.5% from 2019. Thought Penrith would be higher lol

Broncos (930,000)

Storm (901,000)

Cowboys (535,000)

Rabbitohs (470,000)

Tigers (409,000)

Dragons (354,000)

Eels (334,000)

Roosters (298,000)

Knights (238,000)

Sharks (237,000)

Sea Eagles (237,000)

Bulldogs (218,000)

Raiders (209,000)

Panthers (184,000)

Titans (150,000)

25 years of sustained success with 5** premierships and half a dozen** minor premierships, origins down there, 2nd most populous city in Australia by a large margin, millions of dollars in investment in QLD (a state that did not need their investment to grow the game)....

They should be ahead of us, and after this year, they should be well ahead of us.... what's going to happen to that club when they start losing? Does the NRL seriously think their fans in rockhanpton and Ipswich, or the 100's of Victorian fans who follow Richmond or collingwood 1st would seriously stick around?

I've said it time and time again, a successful 2nd Brisbane team will effect melbourne and Sydney teams QLD fan bases more then it will the Broncos...

25 years of sustained success with 5** premierships and half a dozen** minor premierships, origins down there, 2nd most populous city in Australia by a large margin, millions of dollars in investment in QLD (a state that did not need their investment to grow the game)....

They should be ahead of us, and after this year, they should be well ahead of us.... what's going to happen to that club when they start losing? Does the NRL seriously think their fans in rockhanpton and Ipswich, or the 100's of Victorian fans who follow Richmond or collingwood 1st would seriously stick around?

I've said it time and time again, a successful 2nd Brisbane team will effect melbourne and Sydney teams QLD fan bases more then it will the Broncos...
You been to Melbourne?

Most of them don't even know the difference between Union and League the game is completely invisible.

I would bet most of their fans are outside Victoria.

Broncos (930,000)

Storm (901,000)

Cowboys (535,000)

Rabbitohs (470,000)

Tigers (409,000)

Dragons (354,000)

Eels (334,000)

Roosters (298,000)

Knights (238,000)

Sharks (237,000)

Sea Eagles (237,000)

Bulldogs (218,000)

Raiders (209,000)

Panthers (184,000)

Titans (150,000)

Panthers are top of the table
Raiders are now a consistent top 4 team
Titans are getting a big push forward
Sharks recently won a premiership*
Roosters have won 2 in a bloody row
Eels are now a top 4 level team

I mean, ffs. Combine 5 of those teams. YES FIVE, and our fan base is still bigger then them, after a bloody wooden spoon year! How the **** does the salary cap benefit the growth of the game?! That is the objective of the NRL, to grow the fucking game. The EPL and NBA (and the all blacks as well actually) learnt long ago that brands build fan engagement. And some simple maths would show the NRL that if the Broncos had the success of the roosters the last few years there'd be more fans coming into the game. Broncos would have 1.5 million at least if it had the storm or roosters success

Panthers are top of the table
Raiders are now a consistent top 4 team
Titans are getting a big push forward
Sharks recently won a premiership*
Roosters have won 2 in a bloody row
Eels are now a top 4 level team

I mean, ffs. Combine 5 of those teams. YES FIVE, and our fan base is still bigger then them, after a bloody wooden spoon year! How the **** does the salary cap benefit the growth of the game?! That is the objective of the NRL, to grow the fucking game. The EPL and NBA (and the all blacks as well actually) learnt long ago that brands build fan engagement. And some simple maths would show the NRL that if the Broncos had the success of the roosters the last few years there'd be more fans coming into the game. Broncos would have 1.5 million at least if it had the storm or roosters success

Aside from the salary cap, that isn’t actually the NRL’s fault entirely. Our club has been mismanaged badly from top to bottom.

How many Victorian players are in the storm team again?

The Storm are the smokescreen that have allowed the games leaders to hide what true failures they have been with expansion. Instead of trying to recruit politicians to their leadership ranks the NRL should be taking lessons from the AFL.

I think the storm are a joke of a team. Melbourne is just this amazing sporting market that is likely to do better for fans (2nd team support after their fave AFL team and expat QLDers) compared to Sydney with their crazy number of teams in areas with no fans and no juniors. Despite the number of supporters the storm have they still don't have any junior pathway to success and are basically another QLD side, also combine that with top notch leadership and once in a generation talent and coaching... It's a sad joke on the NRL unfortunately.

Last edited:

The Storm are the smokescreen that have allowed the games leaders to hide what true failures they have been with expansion. Instead of trying to recruit politicians to their leadership ranks the NRL should be taking lessons from the AFL.

I think the storm are a joke of a team. Melbourne is just this amazing sporting market that is likely to do better for fans (2nd team support after their fave AFL team and expat QLDers) compared to Sydney with their crazy number of teams in areas with no fans and no juniors. Despite the number of supporters the storm have they still don't have any junior pathway to success and are basically another QLD side, also combine that with top notch leadership and once in a generation talent and coaching... It's a sad joke on the NRL unfortunately.
Agreed, the Storm onfield success has blinded people on how much of a failure the franchise has been for the game in Melbourne and Victoria.
They have no junior program for any youth in that state and its reflected in the fact the whole state only has 700 registed players from kids to adults and I bet you most of those players are in clubs near the NSW border.

Instead they just leach talent from QLD put them in their Brisbane and Sunshine coast Feeder clubs and then ship them to Melbourne for 1st grade.

Basically every player in their system who isn't a solid first grader is based in QLD.

This here is why the club has allowed the culture of indifference and zero accountability to creep into the joint in the first place. The clubs first wooden spoon in its history and we're still comfortably the most well supported side. What do they have to be concerned about exactly? Organizing some intern to run out onto the training paddock and collect up all the spoons and spatulas all over the place before our pea hearted players catch sight of them and crawl up into a ball in the corner?

I'm already on the Redcliffe bandwagon and they're not even in the NRL yet!

CARN DOLPHINS.

Finally someone else said it. I've been the only one banging this drum. That club is a false premise and a blight on the competition. I don't care about their onfield successes, everyone knows they've gotten a leg up in 90% of their games for the past 10+ years, getting away with murder in the ruck, babysat through more than one finals series to get them to GF day, all in the hope that when the AFL season ended, bored Victorians would finally be persuaded to watch a game of league just this once.

Contributed zero local talent to the game that I'm aware of (correct me if you know of any. I mean I heard of some bench utility who was born in Melbourne but he vanished after a couple games). Guess I am a weirdo for thinking that a team which is representing a city or region should have at least SOME local talent in it. And not be 100% imports for its entire history.

I'm already on the Redcliffe bandwagon and they're not even in the NRL yet!

CARN DOLPHINS.

Finally someone else said it. I've been the only one banging this drum. That club is a false premise and a blight on the competition. I don't care about their onfield successes, everyone knows they've gotten a leg up in 90% of their games for the past 10+ years, getting away with murder in the ruck, babysat through more than one finals series to get them to GF day, all in the hope that when the AFL season ended, bored Victorians would finally be persuaded to watch a game of league just this once.

Contributed zero local talent to the game that I'm aware of (correct me if you know of any. I mean I heard of some bench utility who was born in Melbourne but he vanished after a couple games). Guess I am a weirdo for thinking that a team which is representing a city or region should have at least SOME local talent in it. And not be 100% imports for its entire history.
Future immortal Mahe Fonua.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • john1420
  • Allo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • Kev_Guz
  • heartly87
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.