NEWS Broncos in no rush to tie up David Fifita as Darren Lockyer admits: We underestimated him

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Rivals may be about to queue up for David Fifita but Brisbane director Darren Lockyer says they are in no rush to re-sign the in-demand teenager despite being surprised by his blockbusting 2019 form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he knows a bit more than us and that is why he isn't as concerned as we are. At least i hope that's what the reasoning behind what he is saying.

Cause Gillette just retired and they got 750k extra to extend guys with.

Cause Gillette just retired and they got 750k extra to extend guys with.
Not quite.

That 750k is not entirely deductible as a component of it will still impact our salary cap. This is definitely the case if Gillett is given a role at the club going forward, which you have to think is likely, similar to how Inglis was given a role at Souths which goes on their cap. Even without this though the NRL will likely allocate a portion of any payout to Gillett onto our cap.

Then you have to replace his position in the squad with another player. Even at the minimum wage this is still around 150k, so you're down to around 600k in cap relief for the Broncos, minus whatever portion of Gillett's salary will still count to our salary cap.

It'll definitely help as we should have several hundred thousand dollars available, but we certainly won't be getting anything like 750k of cap relief.

Last edited:
Man, I'm not looking forward to ten thousand posts over the next six months demanding Fifita be resigned immediately and asking what the club's waiting for and talking about how badly they're managing retention, until he is inevitably resigned in June or July...

Not quite.

That 750k is not entirely deductible as a component of it will still impact our salary cap. This is definitely the case if Gillett is given a role at the club going forward, which you have to think is likely, similar to how Inglis was given a role at Souths which goes on their cap. Even without this though the NRL will likely allocate a portion of any payout to Gillett onto our cap.

Then you have to replace his position in the squad with another player. Even at the minimum wage this is still around 150k, so you're down to around 600k in cap relief for the Broncos, minus whatever portion of Gillett's salary will still count to our salary cap.

It'll definitely help as we should have several hundred thousand dollars available, but we certainly won't be getting anything like 750k of cap relief.
It shouldn't count. They announced his retirement October 31st so he hasn't received a single pay check for the 2020 season, so his entire salary should be okay. WIth Inglis, he didn't medically retire, he walked away and got given a job, thats why it counted on the cap. I don't think any thing from Gillett will count on the cap.

As for his position to be replaced, that will likely be by Brody Croft, who will likely occupy around $350k, the remaining $300k will likely go to Fifita.

It shouldn't count. They announced his retirement October 31st so he hasn't received a single pay check for the 2020 season, so his entire salary should be okay. WIth Inglis, he didn't medically retire, he walked away and got given a job, thats why it counted on the cap. I don't think any thing from Gillett will count on the cap.

As for his position to be replaced, that will likely be by Brody Croft, who will likely occupy around $350k, the remaining $300k will likely go to Fifita.
If we get Croft for 350k it's an absolute steal. Personally, I doubt that. I think 400k would be a good price but I'm expecting something closer to 450k to pry him away from Melbourne.

As for Gillett's salary, I'm not sure exactly how it will unfold but I really doubt it will have zero impact on our cap next year. This is the NRL after all.

"Underestimated him."
"In no rush to sign him."

Uhh Locky, are you sure you're done underestimating?

Something like:

Parra - you foot 100% of Watmough
Broncs - you foot 50% of Gillett
Rabbits - you take the 150% of Watmough and Gillett, also you foot 0% of Burgess AND we give you the 'warchest' money to keep Fifita in the game
Reading into the Burgess injury I don't see how they get compensation.

He's basically just injured for 2 years so he's calling it quits. He'll be healthy to play in the last year of his contract FFS

But nah NRL will give them all of it because souffs

No if anyone gets the ring it's Russell Crowe

images

I'm seriously starting to think that Lockyer is totally out of his depth in his roles at the club nowadays.

There’s really no one at the club that inspires much confidence. Are they gonna be capable of locking down one of the most talented young players the game has seen? Remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Bronco bob
  • Aldo
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.