Broncos Needing Rebuild

• Thread starter Marty Deutschmann
  • Start date
To me, the ponga ship has sailed.

Papenhuyzen however.. hasn't yet.

I think instead of needing to pay 1mil + for Pongs... Paps to me would be a 500+ player just before prime on a 3year deal
Fair point. I just think Ponga is the next superstar to build a team around and not many of the talent level he is at. I think he is worth the money. We have struggled because we haven't had any of the top 5 players for a long time

I think instead of needing to pay 1mil + for Pongs... Paps to me would be a 500+ player just before prime on a 3year deal
If it is true that he was being shopped around at the start of the year by the Storm, whoever is responsible for recruiting at the Broncos should be taken out and shot.

when’s Thompson off contract? He’s getting better by the game

Fair point. I just think Ponga is the next superstar to build a team around and not many of the talent level he is at. I think he is worth the money. We have struggled because we haven't had any of the top 5 players for a long time
True.. but I'd rather the 2nd 5th and 10th best to the top player then the next is 30th

True.. but I'd rather the 2nd 5th and 10th best to the top player then the next is 30th
Value for money is how you define a salary cap. Not all out on 1 player. Injuries can be cruel in those instances. Plus you want to build a team around a spine! Not 1 player. How Melbourne have had so much success

Slater Cronk smith Slater were top 4 of 5 players.
[automerge]1562325654[/automerge]
Sure. I get that. If not Ponga who do you think though?
[automerge]1562325740[/automerge]
Slater Cronk smith Slater were top 4 of 5 players.
[automerge]1562325654[/automerge]

Sure. I get that. If not Ponga who do you think though? To get value you have to pay top dollar for a player or two. It's the whole squad value that matters. Ponga for a million is value to me

Last edited:
Boyd Gone,
Macca moved on
Glenn Captain.

The rest will work its own magic and turn into gold. We have a good squat, plenty of ability, it just needs a leader and heart.
DBF27DB3 7CD5 4BDB A0E5 D94B9DDE11D2

Value for money is how you define a salary cap. Not all out on 1 player. Injuries can be cruel in those instances. Plus you want to build a team around a spine! Not 1 player. How Melbourne have had so much success
Agreed. Ponga or holmes would break the budget and cripple the cap for the rest of the squad. This is where papenhuyzen (and previously drinkwater also) made sense as they are currently very good players with good potential, from a good system and could be bought for a fraction of the cost.

However, i think our recruitment is dependent upon where milford and bird play.

Looking at the team, it could be very good with some tweaking (firstly getting macca and boyd out of first grade) and playing to their potential.

Should sign Sonny Bill for 12 months replacing Gillo or Glenn.

Just on Billy Walter's, what system did he come through?

Was he followed by Broncos scouts etc?
I know we can't keep them all etc.

DIdn't come through any system, never signed with anyone until this Storm deal. He was/is a genuine ISC player. Played Colts with Easts in 2013 and won the premiership, BRL with Easts and then ISC debut for Easts in 2015- eventually when he got his Queensland Residents spot in 2017. Storm were impressed and offered him a deal.

Broncos did talk to him in 2017 but it was too late.
[automerge]1562361452[/automerge]

Problem now with Papenhuyzen is that he like a lot of players feel a loyalty to Melbourne, he was a Tigers junior and they punted him because they were definitely keeping Teddy.

Storm gets him end of 2020 puts him at Sunny Coast last year where he missed half the year with concussion problems and this year few injuries and he fires- loves the Storm for life.

Same with B.Smith- Cowboys 20's and Storm do their due diligence and take him and he is signed until 2022.

They feel rescued by Storm.

Last edited:

Papenhuyzen hasn't done anything yet and you want to give him a 3 year deal @500k , instead of chasing a player who could end up being a immortal??

DIdn't come through any system, never signed with anyone until this Storm deal. He was/is a genuine ISC player. Played Colts with Easts in 2013 and won the premiership, BRL with Easts and then ISC debut for Easts in 2015- eventually when he got his Queensland Residents spot in 2017. Storm were impressed and offered him a deal.

Broncos did talk to him in 2017 but it was too late.
[automerge]1562361452[/automerge]

Problem now with Papenhuyzen is that he like a lot of players feel a loyalty to Melbourne, he was a Tigers junior and they punted him because they were definitely keeping Teddy.

Storm gets him end of 2020 puts him at Sunny Coast last year where he missed half the year with concussion problems and this year few injuries and he fires- loves the Storm for life.

Same with B.Smith- Cowboys 20's and Storm do their due diligence and take him and he is signed until 2022.

They feel rescued by Storm.

Sounds like we should just sign the storm’s recruitment and talent scout branch and the rest will look after itself.

Yes. Plan for Ponga. No short-term fix will work. Offload Boyd macca turpin taga fensom etc . Seggy to start cheap backup of bench. Maybe Paix. Bird to fullback next year. Overhaul game plan. Stop the dumb footy. Play less one out will go along way. Hopefully young players like Deardon flegler fifita Haas and carrigan keep developing.
Nope, do t rate what I’ve seen of Bird at all. Cut him loose.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.