Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drops? From how much to 600k? From what I understand there is a role (dealing with mental health) for Boyd after his playing days are over as a part of the contract. I don't believe for a moment the reported 800 pa but hey, who knows for sure. If it was so Bird must be on even more and I just don't imagine WB was okay with spending that much on a centre/fullback. I know it wasn't just up to him so I suppose the board might have been okay with it. Seems unlikely though. The Broncos have always been frugal.
He had to be on something like 800k for the last season or two just gone. If he wasn't then where the hell is the rest of our salary cap going?

If you wind him back to under 800k and you do the same with Bird, I honestly think you'd struggle to total our players up to enough to get close to the cap.

Last edited:
He had to be on something like 800k for the last season or two just gone. If he wasn't then where the hell is the rest of our salary cap going?

If you wind him back to under 800k and you do the same with Bird, I honestly think you'd struggle to total our players up to enough to get close to the cap.
You may be right, we are all guessing. It would be interesting to see starting with a million for Milf and then working backwards from Tagatese etc.

You may be right, we are all guessing. It would be interesting to see starting with a million for Milf and then working backwards from Tagatese etc.

Nice!

BACKS:
1. Anthony Milford: $1m
2. Brodie Croft: $400k
3. Corey Oates: $500k
4. Cory Paix: $100k
5. Darius Boyd: $800k
6. Tesi Niu: (Development)
7. Herbie Farnworth: $100k
8. Ilikena Vudogo: $100k
9. Izaia Perese: $100k
10. Jack Bird: $800k
11. Jamayne Isaako: $400k
12. Jesse Arthars: $250k
13. Jordan Kahu: $400k
14. Kotoni Staggs: $400k
15. Richie Kennar: $100k
16. Sean O'Sullivan: $150k
17. Tom Dearden: $200k?
18. Xavier Coates: $100k
TOTAL BACKS: $5.9m (approx.)

FORWARDS:
1. Andrew McCullough: $500k
2. David Fifita: $250k (currently)
3. Jake Turpin: $250k (got upgraded?)
4. Alex Glenn: $300k?
5. Jamil Hopoate: $100k
6. Joe Ofagengaue: $500k
7. Keenan Palasia: $100k
8. Matt Lodge: $500k?
9. Patrick Carrigan: $200k?
10. Payne Haas: $550k
11. Rhys Kennedy: $100k
12. Tevita Pangai Junior: $550k
13. Thomas Flegler: $100k
TOTAL FORWARDS: $4.0m (approx.)

Obviously these numbers are speculation from reports etc. and it's hard to give numbers to players who are new / haven't been resigned on upgraded deals etc.

BACKS:
1. Anthony Milford: $1m
2. Brodie Croft: $400k
3. Corey Oates: $500k
4. Cory Paix: $100k
5. Darius Boyd: $800k
6. Tesi Niu: (Development)
7. Herbie Farnworth: $100k
8. Ilikena Vudogo: $100k
9. Izaia Perese: $100k
10. Jack Bird: $800k
11. Jamayne Isaako: $400k
12. Jesse Arthars: $250k
13. Jordan Kahu: $400k
14. Kotoni Staggs: $400k
15. Richie Kennar: $100k
16. Sean O'Sullivan: $150k
17. Tom Dearden: $200k?
18. Xavier Coates: $100k
TOTAL BACKS: $5.9m (approx.)

FORWARDS:
1. Andrew McCullough: $500k
2. David Fifita: $250k (currently)
3. Jake Turpin: $250k (got upgraded?)
4. Alex Glenn: $300k?
5. Jamil Hopoate: $100k
6. Joe Ofagengaue: $500k
7. Keenan Palasia: $100k
8. Matt Lodge: $500k?
9. Patrick Carrigan: $200k?
10. Payne Haas: $550k
11. Rhys Kennedy: $100k
12. Tevita Pangai Junior: $550k
13. Thomas Flegler: $100k
TOTAL FORWARDS: $4.0m (approx.)

Obviously these numbers are speculation from reports etc. and it's hard to give numbers to players who are new / haven't been resigned on upgraded deals etc.
I think I've read on here that the minimum is over a 100k? Or is it a 100k?

I think I've read on here that the minimum is over a 100k? Or is it a 100k?

$100,000 (from 2018) for players 1-26 increasing $5,000 p.a until 2022. $70,000 (from 2018) for players 27-30 increasing $2,500 p.a until 2022.

Yep, that's essentially what I tried to do in my maths. If you take Milford at 900k as the highest paid and work backwards, with all our rookies, it's basically impossible for us not to have at least a couple of guys on or around the 800k mark so for me that can really only be Bird and Boyd. I just don't see anyone else in our roster who could be on that much and if neither of those two guys are, the rest of the numbers just don't get us close enough to the salary cap limit.

Yep, that's essentially what I tried to do in my maths. If you take Milford at 900k as the highest paid and work backwards, with all our rookies, it's basically impossible for us not to have at least a couple of guys on or around the 800k mark so for me that can really only be Bird and Boyd. I just don't see anyone else in our roster who could be on that much and if neither of those two guys are, the rest of the numbers just don't get us close enough to the salary cap limit.
Yeah, I think my approximations are relatively accurate, but remember some of those players salaries would be supplemented by different concessions / TPA agreements as well. E.g. Milford on $1m, but perhaps only $900 or so count on the cap.

My approximation brought total spend to $9.9m. So we definitely don't have much / any cap space at the moment.

Moving forward, the easy targets to let go IMO are Boyd, Macca, Kahu and Bird. Yes Milford is on $1m, but you're not going to get anyone much better for any less or anything like that so I would retain him, albeit hopefully on a slightly reduced deal.

Losing Boyd, Macca, Kahu and Bird would be approx $2.5 mil, probably about $500k of that would be increase to David Fifita. Then there would likely be a couple other players needing upgrades leaving us with around $1m left. If Isaako doesn't work out at fullback, that money should definitely be spent on a fullback. I think a spine of Milford, Croft and Turpin is pretty good, the main question mark is Isaako at fullback. I have a feeling he could absolutely kill it this year though.

If Bird has a really good year, i'd still look to move him on. Anywhere near $800k is just too much for a centre.

Last edited:
However it seems to me that we have quite a few on 100k or thereabouts so if they were on, say 10k maybe 20 more then it would soon add up and Boyd and Bird would each come down.

However it seems to me that we have quite a few on 100k or thereabouts so if they were on, say 10k maybe 20 more then it would soon add up and Boyd and Bird would each come down.
Yeah, so all the players on 100k should really be 110k (as that is the new minimum for 2020), but 4 players who i listed at 100k would actually be at like 80k. So it works out about even. I don't think we would be paying many of those $100k players more than the minimum contract. Also, as I mentioned there are some concessions and exclusions. I think the 2020 salary cap is around $9.5m + about $500k or something of different concessions.

Puddin's list has 10 players on 100k but it would seem more likely to me that at least 5 of them would be on 130-160 a year but 10 at 100k seems improbable. Anyway, it's not really important and I'm going to continue to think Boyds somewhere between 650/675 with Bird 750+ but not more than 800 k. Be nice to know though.

Puddin's list has 10 players on 100k but it would seem more likely to me that at least 5 of them would be on 130-160 a year but 10 at 100k seems improbable. Anyway, it's not really important and I'm going to continue to think Boyds somewhere between 650/675 with Bird 750+ but not more than 800 k. Be nice to know though.
Yeah, but 4 of those players would actually likely be on $80k (Niu, Hopoate, Palasia, Vudogo most likely). Flegler, Kennedy, Perese, Coates etc were all signed well before their debut so would be on basement deals surely.

Yeah, but 4 of those players would actually likely be on $80k (Niu, Hopoate, Palasia, Vudogo most likely). Flegler, Kennedy, Perese, Coates etc were all signed well before their debut so would be on basement deals surely.
According to some, minimums aren't that low. I just don't know. Anyway, we're not going to sort it !

Perese walked away from the reds with an offer on the table from the ARU to be a wallaby contracted player. So I could see him maybe being one on more then 100k but he did sacrifice a bit to come so maybe not much more.

According to some, minimums aren't that low. I just don't know. Anyway, we're not going to sort it !
Should also be noted that we have very few players that would qualify for the veteran's allowance... which I believe is $300k across the squad.

I can't remember the criteria, but you'd say in our squad only Boyd, Macca and Glenn would qualify for it. Given Glenn is on a pretty low deal and Macca is around that $400k mark, Boyd is potentially taking a fair chunk of that

Should also be noted that we have very few players that would qualify for the veteran's allowance... which I believe is $300k across the squad.

I can't remember the criteria, but you'd say in our squad only Boyd, Macca and Glenn would qualify for it. Given Glenn is on a pretty low deal and Macca is around that $400k mark, Boyd is potentially taking a fair chunk of that
It's actually only $200k I believe, and it is a veteran or youth player allowance.

"The $200,000 veteran/development player sum can be spent on either a veteran who has spent eight or more seasons at the club or a development player contracted to his current club for two or more continuous years before they are handed their first NRL contract. The development player is only eligible for the payout up to the age of 22. " Also, this would have Boyd only being ellible for it in 2020 as 2019 was his 8th season (pretty sure it counts as time since NRL debut for club). Glenn and Macca are both eligble.

Reactions: 007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • Maroon4life
  • mitch222
  • scobie
  • Ozired
  • NSW stables
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.