Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Boyd doesn’t play, does that mean he hands his remaining salary back, therefore we have one spot to fill with a fair amount of cash? I’m sure we’ll save most for upgrades, but it just occurred to me. I’m a bit slow.
Presuming that he would retire then I guess we'd get some cap relief for his contract value. We'd also have a roster position we could fill. The NRL will need to make the call though because it may not just be Boyd that isn't prepared to play either, and not all those guys might necessarily be ready to retire, so something has to be done to allow them to sit out 2020 if they choose to without disadvantaging the clubs.

So if Boyd doesn’t play, does that mean he hands his remaining salary back, therefore we have one spot to fill with a fair amount of cash? I’m sure we’ll save most for upgrades, but it just occurred to me. I’m a bit slow.
We would only get relief if Boyd forgoes his salary this year... however Kooley raises an interesting question on players who decide they don't want to play despite the NRL indicating they can.

Presuming that he would retire then I guess we'd get some cap relief for his contract value. We'd also have a roster position we could fill. The NRL will need to make the call though because it may not just be Boyd that isn't prepared to play either, and not all those guys might necessarily be ready to retire, so something has to be done to allow them to sit out 2020 if they choose to without disadvantaging the clubs.
This is a good point, because you'd imagine the player choosing not to play should therefore forgo their salary for the year.

However, this then impacts on the team, but they aren't paying the player so they should theoretically get that salary cap back.

It may raise issues if the player who decided not to play suddenly wants to start playing again later in the year, if say the state borders open back up, etc. but his club has filled the roster spot and salary cap.

It's a very tricky situation, but I'd say if the player chooses not to play (despite being capable of playing) then they effectively forgo their salary for the year and they cannot back flip... in a sense they are somewhat voiding the contract for 2020.

Last edited:
If he's fit to play, can play, but is simply refusing to, I would have thought he might be repudiating his contract (the Broncos could accept and elect to terminate same). If that was the case, then he probably doesn't get paid.
You'd need to review the contract (and probably the EBA) very carefully.

Players have already received 40% of their wage by now so with the cuts added in as well, if Boyd was to retire you're not going to save too much.

If he's fit to play, can play, but is simply refusing to, I would have thought he might be repudiating his contract (the Broncos could accept and elect to terminate same). If that was the case, then he probably doesn't get paid.
You'd need to review the contract (and probably the EBA) very carefully.
I'm not sure it's so black and white.

It's easy to assume we could just terminate the deal because Boyd is close to retirement and we'd perhaps prefer him off our books anyway, but for example what if it was Payne Haas who for personal reasons does not want to relocate and be isolated from his family for the season? Are the Broncos just going to enforce a termination of his contract? Of course they won't.

It's going to involve plenty of give and take from clubs, players and the NRL to get the comp going fairly and without forcing players who cannot or are unwilling to go through the isolation to be penalised for their choices.

If the NRL was perhaps agreeable to setting aside individual contracts on a case by case basis when requested by the player then perhaps that would allow clubs to recruit to fill those gaps provided they still fit into the value of the salary cap overall. The 30 man roster might need to be set aside for the year as well to allow players to draw on a larger pool of guys who could even be rotated in and out of the squad based on their isolation requirements. There are two state competitions not taking place currently and I'm sure some of those guys would relish a shot at the NRL for a limited window if the clubs could afford them and make it work.

Last edited:
I doubt that the NRL would approve a bottom dollar contract for a player with his record.

He wouldn't have been on big money before he left League. All of that was going to their bigger names in the Souths pack.

He's at the end of his career (33) and has been out of the game for years. His market value would have dropped significantly.

Minimum wage is a bit of a stretch but getting him on a bargain deal is very realistic.

Big Mal is pulling out all stops. He’s using their evergreen trump card- he’s mates with Fa'asuamaleaui...

Cant blame him. We probably did the same thing with Lodge and Tevita and their contract signings.

It would be news if they weren't trying to chase him. One of the best backline prospects coming through and has ties with David Fifita. Even if Dave is committed to the Broncos for this term, they could use Tesi down the track.

I still think the Gold Coast have to beat the Broncos in the trenches and target more AJ Brimson, Phillip Sami, Moeaki Foutaika types. Instead of buying back the farm, demonstrate your capacity to develop talent and hold onto your star recruits.

I can't begin to imagine how big a loss Payne Haas was for them.

I can’t say I’m concerned about losing him. Even if he is very talented, we still have a lot of talent in our backline that still have years in them.

There are probably bigger signatures to be concerned about than Niu to be honest.

I believe so it's been said that all teams outside of nsw are to relocate and Boyd has stated he isn't going anywhere. I'm sure Siebold would be happy with that he seams to hold Arthurs in high regards.
Given the way things are going, have we seen the last of Darius?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.