Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oates really is ideal in that bench role as a spare Outside Back/Edge Forward. It would allow us to play two middle Forwards and a Dummy Half/Utility off the Bench to cover for Turpin, with Oates as the spare guy to be used anywhere across the park.

The scary part is, if we ever actually made it to full strength, carrying a Utility and then an Outside Back like Oates as well means we only have two middle Forward positions spare, so one of Flegler, Offa or TPJ would be missing out each week.
Yeah I was thinking that... unless Glenn is moved to left center 👍👍

Other than that Offa can be dropped, but Flegler looks like he needs some rest as the new rules are not agreeing with him

Wait, Graham has been terrible for a few years now. Why would we want him? We may as well bring in Sam Thaiday from his last season and everyone hated that. Just because he’s older doesn’t mean he would be good for this team. Sounds like you guys want him in a coaching role and nothing more

For anyone who thinks Milford isn't too bad for the money and worth persisting with, it's worth remembering now that you could have bought Ponga for basically exactly the same money.

I certainly know where I see more upside in that scenario.
$900k isn't $1.2m , not that I'm happy paying milf $900k but there's a bit of a difference.
I'm not sold on ponga yet either, your still paying for potential.

If the side was at full strength, it would look something like this:

1. Isaako
2. Coates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Farnworth
6. Milford/Dearden
7. Dearden/Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Luke/Paix
15. Flegler
16. Teo
17. Oates

So that means that Joffa, Boyd and maybe even Isaako are the odd men out. Now, Bird is never not injured, Boyd is retiring and Isaako has shown HEAPS of ability defensively, if only he can provide something / anything in attack, this side above starts looking super threatening but the whole at 4 is huge, it is literally a cripple (in terms of footy ability / injuries) between Bird, Boyd (sigh), Kahu and Arthars.
[automerge]1592446647[/automerge]
$900k isn't $1.2m , not that I'm happy paying milf $900k but there's a bit of a difference.

Would it be worth inquiring about Hoy? That kid seems to be destined for great things too and 2 young, gun fullbacks don't fit into that Newcastle side.

Last edited:
Granted 900k isn't 1.2 million, but 4 million (or at most 4.4 million) over 4 years also isn't 1.2 million a year either.

Last edited:
Granted 900k isn't 1.2 million, but 4 million (or at most 4.4 million) over 4 years also isn't 1.2 million a year either.
4.5m , 1.125 mil which isn't exactly the same is it ??

4.5m , 1.125 mil which isn't exactly the same is it ??
Where'd you pull that number from?

It's been reported at 4 million and 4.4 million, now you're saying 4.5 million as well? On that basis MIlford's salary could be so elastic we can just call it a million too.

The 4 million dollar figure came from Barry Toohey himself and I'd say that's about as reliable a source as you're likely to get for Newcastle related news, so yeah it is basically the same as what we outlay for Milford.

When you then also consider that one million dollars a season is for four years forward from now including salary cap inflation, and Milford's 900k is from 3 years ago under a lower cap, it essentially means adjusting for inflation that Milford's relative cost was higher than Ponga's new deal.

Where'd you pull that number from?

It's been reported at 4 million and 4.4 million, now you're saying 4.5 million as well? On that basis MIlford's salary could be so elastic we can just call it a million too.

The 4 million dollar figure came from Barry Toohey himself and I'd say that's about as reliable a source as you're likely to get for Newcastle related news, so yeah it is basically the same as what we outlay for Milford.

When you then also consider that one million dollars a season is for four years forward from now including salary cap inflation, and Milford's 900k is from 3 years ago under a lower cap, it essentially means adjusting for inflation that Milford's relative cost was higher than Ponga's new deal.
Screenshot 20200618 141459 Samsung Internet

Either way he's on more than milf and I think both aren't worth the money.
What exactly do you think top 10 players (Ponga, certainly not Milford) in the competition are worth then?

Every one of them commands around a million dollars or more. If you want elite players, that’s what you have to pay in 2020.

Last edited:
What exactly do you think top 10 players (Ponga, certainly not Milford) in the competition are worth then?

Every one of them commands around a million dollars or more. If you want elite players, that’s what you have to pay in 2020.
I don't consider him top ten , there's quite a few players in front of him imo
Tedesco, Smith, Munster, wighton , turbos, cordner, lolo, Hodgson, RTS, cook .... just to name a few .

Last edited:
Tedesco, Smith, Munster, wighton , turbos, cordner, Hodgson, RTS, cook .... just to name a few .

I would take the current version of Ponga over every one of those players except Smith, Tedesco & T.Turbo.

That's not even factoring in the improvements that he'll make over the next 4 years. He's comfortably a top 10 player in the NRL and has potential to be the best player in the league within a few years (Once Teddy starts slowing down a touch).

It's a great deal and we should be jealous.

I would take the current version of Ponga over every one of those players except Smith, Tedesco & T.Turbo.

That's not even factoring in the improvements that he'll make over the next 4 years. He's comfortably a top 10 player in the NRL and has potential to be the best player in the league within a few years (Once Teddy starts slowing down a touch).

It's a great deal and we should be jealous.
Well I'm not jealous , and let's see if it's great when best and hoy need decent upgrades. Ponga won't drop his price , he's all about the $$

Yeah i think ae we will be alright financially. One thing i like about this club is we dont really lose the players we want to keep... its just the players we want to keep suddenly get shit.

I also dont think the club will make a milford mistake again. Granted, at the time, i wasnt upset about his contract ... but if youre shelling out 7 figures, maybe dont make it 4 years (Bird, Boyd as well)

well...thats a half truth....yes we "can" keep the guys we want but then when we want/need to move them on they smash down on the negotiating table the player option on last year that WE GAVE THEM!

Does Ponga have that in his new contract I wonder?

We seriously have to give these out to maybe 2-3 utter studs and only when they specifically ask for it.

The decision to remain at this club should be made by THIS club, not the fucking player...

Tedesco, Smith, Munster, wighton , turbos, cordner, lolo, Hodgson, RTS, cook .... just to name a few .
Two of which (Smith and Hodgson) are in their twilight years, plus J Turbo And Wighton who aren’t even close to Ponga. That’s before we even touch on upside potential which Ponga has In spades over almost your entire list.

Ponga is elite level talent already and if you can’t see that yet then I’m sorry but Rugby League might just not be the sport for you.

Last edited:
Well I'm not jealous , and let's see if it's great when best and hoy need decent upgrades. Ponga won't drop his price , he's all about the $$
Best and Hoy type players are dime a dozen. Ponga is a once or twice in a generation all our freak.

I’m 100% certain now that you’re the kind of bloke who would have backed Sherwin and Anansta back when JT was at the Bulldogs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Mr Fourex
  • Hurrijo
  • Organix
  • bb_gun
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.