Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the story with Riki? He only played the opening 10 minutes against the Cutters before coming off - how long is he slated to be on the sideline for?

It seemed like he was ahead of Bullemor on the pecking order as well.

No they don't, they nearly all went home. They have pulled out of the Canterbury Cup this year and are part time footballers full time workers they went home after the Newcastle game.

They have a squad of 24. Three are development and two outside the 36 who don't even have NRL contracts.

All of them? They didn’t have 1 (or 6) Australian based player in their squad?

How many exactly is ‘nearly’?

It would be a very odd experience if say we let someone like Niu go on loan to the warriors.
That would mean his first grade debut would be for the Warriors rather then the team he is contracted to and who are paying his salary.
Then there is the possibilities of injuries ie an ACL.
I just cannot see how it’d be a good thing for the team loaning the player. It has the potential to disrupt the players development/opportunities at their current club.
Bullemore was a development player who we were able to get dispensation for as a result of current injuries at the club.

I think we should loan them Niu. He wont get a look in here, he isnt even in our top 30 right now iirc. No ISC means a lack of game time and a lack of development. Makes sense to me to give a young bloke who wont get much game time for us a chance at the warriors. He is currently behind Isaako, Oates, Coates, Arthars, Boyd, Farnworth and Staggs for a spot. I dont see the issue as long as we have a recall option if we have a crisis.

It would be a very odd experience if say we let someone like Niu go on loan to the warriors.
This whole year is shaping up to be pretty odd. In the broader context of a global pandemic and international travel being essentially shut down, loaning reserve players to the Warriors so they can continue to field a team while being stuck on an unplanned trip to Aus which may go for months instead of the intended few days barely rates a "huh" on the scale of 0 to "holy fucken shit."

What happens if we end up needing Niu and he's with the Warriors?

You got to plan and prepare for the worst. We had a bad injury toll last season and it doesn't appear to be letting up this season.

There are a ton of players from the QLD and NSW comps the Warriors can choose from. They can pick those.

Not sure if it’s been said, but my only real concern with these loan arrangements is potential for poaching on a permanent basis.

Player x goes on loan to club y, performs well, gets an offer, grass is greener etc. and asks for a release.

Also as a couple of side issues; injury, suspension, can we have them back any time?

It’s a good idea in theory and will no doubt help keep the suffering clubs afloat during this very unusual and unprecedented time, but it would need some ironing out first.

What happens if we end up needing Niu and he's with the Warriors?

You got to plan and prepare for the worst. We had a bad injury toll last season and it doesn't appear to be letting up this season.

There are a ton of players from the QLD and NSW comps the Warriors can choose from. They can pick those.

Pretty simple really, have a recall option. Its kind of a unique situation right now so i think due to the sacrifice the warriors have made i could see the NRL allowing something like this to happen.

It doesn't help that the Warriors have one of the worst injury tolls in the league right now. Of their 29 man roster, 8 are out injured and 2 of them are back in NZ for personal reasons. Of the players who can return I believe only Beale and Curran are Australian citizens.

That's a 23 man squad, and that's counting two non-NRL contracted players in Tuimavave-Gerrard and Vuniyayawa.

I believe clubs should be open to the idea of lending them players, it's just logistically, how many players want to relocate to the Gold Coast at this time? It really puts pressure on the Broncos and the Titans, and neither side can really afford to lose anymore players.

Give the ISC guys that don’t have contracts with clubs something to do, they can go and bolster squad numbers, actually play footy, get paid and maybe state their case for a legit pick up

I think all clubs should be open to loaning payers to the Warriors.

They've done the competition an absolutely huge favour by staying here in Australia, away from their loved ones, in a time when there is so much uncertainty about the current and future situation of the world.

They've basically saved the NRL's arse - I wonder if they'll get any thanks other than a pat on the back. Seriously, think about what they're sacrificing to stay here and play footy.

I’d be more open to it happening with us if we actually had players to give them. With all the injuries, we need all the players we have. Someone like Kennar, who I have nothing against, is probably the only guy available.

The rest are kids (who if I’m being honest I want to debut for us) or 18-22nd man like Kennedy or Hoppa when all our guys come back from injuries and suspensions but are still necessary to have ready to slot into the team.

Give them Kahu if his biscuit body ever heals

Last edited:
Pretty simple really, have a recall option. Its kind of a unique situation right now so i think due to the sacrifice the warriors have made i could see the NRL allowing something like this to happen.

That has potential PR shit storm written all over it. Given the situation the Warriors are in they aren’t going to want to just give up the player.

Let’s say both sides cop a high injury toll and they both need Niu. Neither side are going to want to budge on their stance.

In my view it would be easier for the NRL to give the Warriors a cap exemption to sign temporary deals for the necessary number of players they need to have a full squad with development players. Clubs would be understanding of that given their situation and no club would have to give up players and put up with a smaller roster for the near future.

It isn’t really that difficult. Agree he can play on loan but add a clause that if needed, the player’s original club get him back, no if’s or buts. Also add in a clause the borrowing team cannot make an offer to the loaned player to move permanently.

There needs to be flexibility here and yes, there are concerns for injury, etc but they’ve been good enough to help the comp keep going, teams can be good enough to help them out. Plus, I’m pretty sure fringe first graders who aren’t playing at all would love the opportunity.

It’s a weird arrangement but it’s a weird time in the world. Embrace the weirdness.

Last edited:
If they want someone give them kenner .
I for one don't want Niu debuting for the warriors, he's a development player why would you want a development player? Because they want to poach is why, that's the only reason I can think of wanting a player in Niu's position.

If they want someone give them kenner .
I for one don't want Niu debuting for the warriors, he's a development player why would you want a development player? Because they want to poach is why, that's the only reason I can think of wanting a player in Niu's position.

You'd want a development player because you're more likely to get him, he can't play for you until June and he isn't in your top 30.

If you go in for Haas what do you think the Broncos would say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• scobie
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Rah88
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • pennywisealfie
  • Foordy
  • BroncoFan94
  • Waynesaurus
  • RolledOates
  • Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.