Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most players looking to sign a contract extension will want some more clarity around the salary cap in the future.

Milf having another year to run,at potentially his peak contract value, will be handy for him to let the salary cap clear up and get an idea where his current $1m deal lands in a revised lowered salary cap.
I don't think it will matter as the most likely scenario would be a percentage reduction across the board, so whether he's extended with us or he's taken another offer elsewhere, the percentage he misses out on will likely be the same as it would be for all players. Potentially the percentage reduction could be scaled to ensure the lowest paid players don't lose as much as the highest paid guys in real dollars, but Milf should still be at the pointy end of any scale they implemented either way.

Last edited:
I don't think it will matter as the most likely scenario would be a percentage reduction across the board, so whether he's extended with us or he's taken another offer elsewhere, the percentage he misses out on will likely be the same as it would be for all players. Potentially the percentage reduction could be scaled to ensure the lowest paid players don't lose as much as the highest paid guys in real dollars, but Milf should still be at the pointy end of any scale they implemented either way.
Yes but 80% of a $1m contract drops out to $800k... let's say he signs an $800k 3yr contract now, because he thinks that's good money based on what his manager and media are claiming about a new cap, assuming the same 80% gets applied his contract drops to $640k... which he's tied to for 3yrs.

What happens if the salary cap drops further than 80% and alternative options become more viable... union (assuming they could ever get their shit together) or ESL??
These were the previous options before NRL's salary cap exploded.

What happens if as the salary cap clears up other players are signing $800k contracts straight up in 2021 ie. after an 80% drop. NRL teams are idiots and will always overpay. Players are used to inflated contracts and may push hard for more money.

What happens if the salary cap doesn't change at all (because players push back on such a drop in 2021 and beyond) and instead cuts are made to the club grants or overheads are shaved in the top office. This would mean Milf has taken a 20% pay cut when he could've gone looking for an extension on his $1m.

For mine there's too many unknowns to be jumping into a new long term contract and potentially taking a pay cut when you've got guaranteed cash next year to let the dust clear up a bit... Broncos appear to be building a strong squad so he could have himself in the shop window with a team that's playing well.

Did it also say in the article that Milf has to make a decision before the end of this month??

The comp will have barely restarted by then to be making a decision on a new long term deal.

If he wants to play games just pull the offer and tell him to pack his fucking bags.

He’s had three years of being the main man and he’s proven to be ducking useless at it.

If he wants to resign immediately for less money then he can stay.

He's been our best player over the time he's been here - it's not even close.

Yes but 80% of a $1m contract drops out to $800k... let's say he signs an $800k 3yr contract now, because he thinks that's good money based on what his manager and media are claiming about a new cap, assuming the same 80% gets applied his contract drops to $640k... which he's tied to for 3yrs.

What happens if the salary cap drops further than 80% and alternative options become more viable... union (assuming they could ever get their shit together) or ESL??
These were the previous options before NRL's salary cap exploded.

What happens if as the salary cap clears up other players are signing $800k contracts straight up in 2021 ie. after an 80% drop. NRL teams are idiots and will always overpay. Players are used to inflated contracts and may push hard for more money.

What happens if the salary cap doesn't change at all (because players push back on such a drop in 2021 and beyond) and instead cuts are made to the club grants or overheads are shaved in the top office. This would mean Milf has taken a 20% pay cut when he could've gone looking for an extension on his $1m.

For mine there's too many unknowns to be jumping into a new long term contract and potentially taking a pay cut when you've got guaranteed cash next year to let the dust clear up a bit... Broncos appear to be building a strong squad so he could have himself in the shop window with a team that's playing well.

Did it also say in the article that Milf has to make a decision before the end of this month??

The comp will have barely restarted by then to be making a decision on a new long term deal.
Milf would only be taking a pay cut if everyone was taking a pay cut. Signing now wouldn't change that for him anymore than it would if he signed a new deal in 12 months time. If he takes a hit on a new three year deal, he's also going to be taking that hit on whatever he signs with us too. If there is no cap reduction, then he doesn't take a reduction either, so none of this is affected by changes to the cap, at least not in percentages.

That said, I'd say it was safer if he stayed put and let the dust settle with everything going on. I think most players would view it the same way, especially the ones who might have to uproot their families at such a turbulent time (the non Sydney players basically).

That does still come with risk though, as injuries or any further slide in his form might have a significant impact on his earning after 2021, so it's a calculated risk either way.

He’s not been our best player since Haas started playing. I’d go further than that though.
Well yeah Payne is close to the best player in the entire completion.

I just think milf is unfairly maligned.

Wouldn’t be surprised at teams enquiring about him.

I really find it off putting predicting up and coming players to unseat current players.

They're like how virgins are viewed in some societies, once they've played first grade they're used up. No longer capable of developing with the experience.. when in fact it's clearly the opposite.

I don't see how Niu being younger and far less years of top level experience would develop faster and more advanced than someone like Issako. Forming combinations, learning to get the best out of the position at the top level while IN the top level.

If niu is any chance of doing that, he won't debut on the wing anytime soon and unseat, he will need to show he can play fullback against strong opposition and dominate. If he can't do that at QCUP how can he be a premier fullback at NRL level.

This is the sort of thinking that cost the Cows Kalyn Ponga. Lachlan Coote was the “sensible” option at the time.

Well yeah Payne is close to the best player in the entire completion.

I just think milf is unfairly maligned.

Wouldn’t be surprised at teams enquiring about him.
This is obviously old ground, but just to reiterate, he may well have been our best player in a couple of the seasons that he's been here, but even at his very best, he's just barely represented good value for money, and at his average over that time, he's been pretty mediocre, or even downright poor value for money.

It's fine to be the best player at the Broncos, but that doesn't mean you played like a $900k player, because realistically no one at the Broncos has played like someone deserving of that sort of cash for a long time now (Haas 2019 aside).

This is the sort of thinking that cost the Cows Kalyn Ponga. Lachlan Coote was the “sensible” option at the time.

I think you will find it was more to do with Andre Ponga and a massive contract from Newcastle. It's pretty common knowledge there was no way he was staying in Townsville even if he was a regular choice at fullback. They couldn't match the offer from Newcastle. The only reason he probably didn't play more in 2017 for the Cows was because he was leaving.

I for one would love him to stay. He is gifted and has ability in truckloads. No doubt it appears motivation is his main problem but if he can’t correct that being a part of potentially the best side going forward he won’t get it anywhere else.

Heard about this up and comer going to make his debut for the Broncos.

EXYjPwKUEAEuiTH

**** that's a gnarly Puma polo.

Looks a lot like Dexter Holland in that pic!

A shirt should never have that many unique colors on it unless you have a big red nose and work for the circus.

NRL has given the go ahead for contract talks. Let’s hope we can get Fifita signed up long term in the next couple of weeks.
Really hope so ... he's just too good to lose and it really makes my freakin' blood boil when guys like Meninga (legend though he may be) sit in front of the cameras and proclaim that they're gonna throw huge money at DF as their "marquee signing" ... throw the bucks at installing your own development program and maybe down the line you'll have your own talent coming through instead of sitting around letting other, forward-thinking outfits do the hard yards only for you to come along and cherry-pick your way through the roster !! ... had to get that off my liver .. thanks for listening.

Really hope so ... he's just too good to lose and it really makes my freakin' blood boil when guys like Meninga (legend though he may be) sit in front of the cameras and proclaim that they're gonna throw huge money at DF as their "marquee signing" ... throw the bucks at installing your own development program and maybe down the line you'll have your own talent coming through instead of sitting around letting other, forward-thinking outfits do the hard yards only for you to come along and cherry-pick your way through the roster !! ... had to get that off my liver .. thanks for listening.

To be honest, they'd be pretty stupid not to try to poach him. To be successful you have to steal quality players.

80’s/90’s fashion for you. Especially for country boys.

Fucking ugly as ****.

That polo is very on trend again right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ponga owns one almost exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.