Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Does anyone know much about this kid? Apparently, the Broncs aren't happy about losing him but it just has Khunt / Izzy written all over it down the track.
MEET the most talented 15-year-old athlete in Australia, a red-head whiz-kid chased by six professional clubs across an incredible four sports.

Kalyn Ponga said no to the Brisbane Lions, Queensland Reds, Brisbane Broncos, Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm and even ignored a lucrative golf career.

Showing the maturity required to fulfil potential Ponga eventually chose the North Queensland Cowboys as moving to Townsville was best for his family.

A gifted fullback, the Anglican Church Grammar (Churchie) student is already being compared to former pupil Karmichael Hunt.

Ponga broke records in 2012, becoming just the second under-14 player to be chosen for Australia's under-15 league team.
North Queensland Cowboys sign most talented 15-year-old in Australia - Kalyn Ponga | News.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Must be special, although 15 is just too young for any type of warranties... Too many young superstars didn't go on with it for a myriad of reasons.

While he is obviously very talented he sounds like another k hunt in the 'I'm great at everything so I'm gonna try a different sport every few years"

Also surely Garry is stretching the truth with claims that the broncos offered him a 4 year deal and guaranteed spot in the 2017 squad... That just sounds stupid

As much as I hope this kid has a great career and possible QLD origin in the future..A club can't bet on too many teens to be the future of the club.

I have high hopes for the crop of young kids we have already in Ash Taylor, Corey Oates and Elijah Alick.

Is he good at Teeball?

The kid will be a superstar, a blow for sure although I remember somebody mentioning earlier that he may have left.

All the best to him though.

At least his going to a Queensland club, particularly the Cowboys, could have been worse, could have been south of the border.

Non issue really. You can't get them all. At least we were in the hunt for the kid and not sitting on our hands.

At least his going to a Queensland club, particularly the Cowboys, could have been worse, could have been south of the border.

Echo this sentiment.

Just goes to debunk the myth that we have a monopoly on ALL the young QLD talent :roll:

Another talented QLD'r ready to fill the SOO ranks in a few years time. :smile:

Hope he turns into a centre.

Wow he could've played Union, Aussie rules and golf but chose to play League. It really proves that here in Australia that Rugby League draws far more aspiring players to the game.

Wow he could've played Union, Aussie rules and golf but chose to play League. It really proves that here in Australia that Rugby League draws far more aspiring players to the game.

Not really. For every one of this guy, I'm sure there's someone who chose another sport over rugby league.

Not really. For every one of this guy, I'm sure there's someone who chose another sport over rugby league.

Good point I'm sure that there are plenty of aspiring sportsmen and women that can play a majority of sports and end up choosing one.

I follow both codes of Rugby and every now and then I have a debate with a Kiwi or South African criticising how the Wallabies have non-Australians playing for them and I always reply that Rugby League draws many aspiring rugby players and that Union competes with not only League but Aussie Rules, Cricket and Football as well, when their countries live and breath Rugby while more Australians would prefer to watch or play Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Cricket (I even think Football has more junior players than Union).

While he is obviously very talented he sounds like another k hunt in the 'I'm great at everything so I'm gonna try a different sport every few years"

Also surely Garry is stretching the truth with claims that the broncos offered him a 4 year deal and guaranteed spot in the 2017 squad... That just sounds stupid

Isn't that what high school sport is about? Playing different sports. Is he supposed to make a life decision in grade 8?

He's a great kid.

He still plays Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.