Broncos Position on Ladder at the end of 2014

I'm thinking 5-7 for 2014

I think they need an experienced and high quality head coach to go top 4

Everything hinges on the team selections tbh. More specifically, their positions. Will Hook play B Barba @ 6 just to please Hoff? Will he play the Hoff @ 6? If he gets the selections right, I think with the added fitness, hopefully some new attacking plays and more work on the defensive structure we'll be around the middle of the top 8.

top 8.

why?

-hunt will mature as a 7 and lead the side around admirably.
-barba will add the spark we need to get some poins on the board.
-our outside backs will have a less torrid year injury wise and guys like kahu will go well.
-no marantas
-more oates
-corvo. fitness!

there are a few more ifs and maybes regarding the actual coaching of the side. + milford, etc..

top 8.

why?

-hunt will mature as a 7 and lead the side around admirably.
-barba will add the spark we need to get some poins on the board.
-our outside backs will have a less torrid year injury wise and guys like kahu will go well.
-no marantas
-more oates
-corvo. fitness!

there are a few more ifs and maybes regarding the actual coaching of the side. + milford, etc..

I will not be shocked if Griffin re-signs and still plays Maranta.

If no milford but one of the young guys does a passable job 7 or 8. If we get milford or one of the young guys does really well top four. Things can only be better than next year with all these changes. The only question is how much so.

There is enough talent there to easily make the 8.

It all depends on how well they are coached. If Griffin does stupid stuff like play Thaiday in the front row or plays Hoffman/Barba/Hodges in the halves then we will struggle. Surely we will see an improvement in our attack after watching mediocrity for so long.

If we see that flat attack rubbish in round 1 then I am going to do the face palm that ends all face palms and prepare for another long year.

1st, with a 24-0-0 record and a +500 for and against. :D

Worst case scenario, we start like we did in 2012, Griffin signs a 5 year deal and we see another horrible slump.

**** it hurts even thinking about it, hopefully the club is courting the right coach for 2015.

I'm also worried about our defence being the amongst the worst in the comp, spud Kearney is also fighting for his job.

Last edited:
Worst case scenario, we start like we did in 2012, Griffin signs a 5 year deal and we see another horrible slump.

**** it hurts even thinking about it, hopefully the club is courting the right coach for 2015.

I'm also worried about our defence being the amongst the worst in the comp, spud Kearney is also fighting for his job.

I'm still holding out hope we will can griffin in the same fashion as henjak, but this time bring in someone half decent. I'm still a walters man tho.

There is easily enough talent to make the finals and the prospect of signing Milford and a full pre-season at halfback for Hunt helps us considerably. If everything goes our way in the pre-season this is what I think the strongest possible squad will be.

1: Ben Barba
2: Josh Hoffman
3: Jordan Kahu
4: Justin Hodges
5: Corey Oates
6: Anthony Milford
7: Ben Hunt
8: Ben Hannant
9: Andrew McCullogh
10: Josh McGuire
11: Matt Gillett
12: Sam Thiaday
13: Corey Parker

14: Martin Kennedy
15: Alex Glenn
16: David Hala
17: Jake Granville

That is a squad that is definitely capable of a top 8 finish. The inclusion of Barba brings a lot of flair and attacking prowess to the backs who struggled last season, Hoffman back to his best position (get that through your head Hoffy) on the wing and a full season for Oates and when Hodges returns (hopefully for Round 1) will bring a lot of influence and confidence for the young players.

I'm feeling more confident about signing Milford and a pairing of him and Ben Hunt who would finally have a full pre-season at halfback is a pairing for the future and has 2 players playing in their best positions. You always need a match-winning halves combo if you want success in Rugby League.

The forward pack is one I rate very highly as all of them (apart from Macca) are current Origin reps or bolters like McGuire and if they all play in their preferred positions all season and if they and the bench are used properly they can all make a very solid contribution.

serious ? you said our best possible team,, no way is kahu at starting centre and yow yeh is wing also oates is a second rower that was shoved onto the wing for lack of backs
best possible team :

1 barba
2 hoffman
3 reed
4 hodges
5 yow yeh / vidot
6 milford
7 hunt
8 hannant
9 macca
10 mcguire
11 glenn / gillett
12 thaiday
13 parker

14 gillet / glenn
15 kennedy
16 oates / granville
17 lowrie / stagg / hala

I think we'll scrape into the top 8, but we certainly won't make much noise in the finals.

I'll predict we finish 6th on the ladder and get knocked out in the first week of finals.

Ouch.

(Assuming Milford is on board) If Barba, Milford and Hunt click, this team, with probably the best forward pack in the game is going to be unreal. A team that can score points, create a suprise attack out of our own half and never let the opposition rest.

Add to that a fit Hodges, Thaiday running wide (and not up the centre) and genuine wingers (Hoffman and Oates/Vidot/Kahu/Mills) we could be very dangerous. We will take a lot of teams by suprise I'd say.

IF it clicks early and we survive the Origin period... I'd be disappointed with anything less than preliminary final.

2014 - putting first class back into the Broncos.

Ouch.

(Assuming Milford is on board) If Barba, Milford and Hunt click, this team, with probably the best forward pack in the game is going to be unreal. A team that can score points, create a suprise attack out of our own half and never let the opposition rest.

Add to that a fit Hodges, Thaiday running wide (and not up the centre) and genuine wingers (Hoffman and Oates/Vidot/Kahu/Mills) we could be very dangerous. We will take a lot of teams by suprise I'd say.

IF it clicks early and we survive the Origin period... I'd be disappointed with anything less than preliminary final.

2014 - putting first class back into the Broncos.

I wouldnt say best pack. Souffs and Roosters win there.

Souths only have two good forwards in burgess and burgess. Cronulla have the best without a doubt. Titans would be up there with us and roosters.

Active Now

• Midean
  • NSW stables
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • broncotville
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • barker
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.