Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people overrating B Smith? He’s energetic and fearless but I don’t see him as a player to build a club around.

I really see him losing impact once teams figure him out and he leaves the storm system. Plus his off field persona, while somewhat endearing also paints him as entirely loose and that’s within the constraints of the strict storm standards. I don’t dare imagine how disruptive a guy with his personality could do to our team who already seems to be very impressionable and struggling with professionalism.

I think B Smith is a massive risk on a big contract.

Are people overrating B Smith? He’s energetic and fearless but I don’t see him as a player to build a club around.

I really see him losing impact once teams figure him out and he leaves the storm system. Plus his off field persona, while somewhat endearing also paints him as entirely loose and that’s within the constraints of the strict storm standards. I don’t dare imagine how disruptive a guy with his personality could do to our team who already seems to be very impressionable and struggling with professionalism.

He does seem like a loose canon but what is there to figure out? His play style is entirely run as hard as possible and play to win, you cannot counter that. The real risk is him relaxing if he gets a big contract in a system that's more relaxed but he doesn't seem the type to play at 90%.

I feel that he has to learn to play at 90% or he will do himself some serious damage/burn out.
Yeah that's also a real risk, his play style is kind of prone to getting injured.

Dummy Half is the most critical position in the modern game and he's one of the only genuinely 'gun' Dummy Half options that is either on the market or likely to be on the market in the foreseeable future.

It's an absolute no brainer for me and it should be the same for any club that doesn't already have one of the 2-3 other gun Dummy Half's on their books.

Dummy Half is the most critical position in the modern game and he's one of the only genuinely 'gun' Dummy Half options that is either on the market or likely to be on the market in the foreseeable future.

It's an absolute no brainer for me and it should be the same for any club that doesn't already have one of the 2-3 other gun Dummy Half's on their books.

Exactly. Outside of C.Smith, Cook, Grant and Koroisau, there isn't much else of quality out there. B.Smith is the next best thing and he is gettable. It is a no-brainer, particularly when your other options are an eternally mediocre Macca and an injury-prone question mark in Turpin.

Exactly. Outside of C.Smith, Cook, Grant and Koroisau, there isn't much else of quality out there. B.Smith is the next best thing and he is gettable. It is a no-brainer, particularly when your other options are an eternally mediocre Macca and an injury-prone question mark in Turpin.
Exactly, if you consider C.Smith as likely retiring then at best there are 3 genuinely gun Dummy Half guys in the game and all three are going to fetch absolute top dollar, if you could even get a chance to buy them, which you can't, because their incumbent clubs have them locked up very tightly long term.

Brandon Smith is the only other guy who even rates a mention in that conversation and even if he isn't at their level yet, he's the only one who seems to have the potential to get there. Not seriously pursuing him and shifting whatever you have to around to make it happen, if you don't already have one of the other 3 guys, is just flat out dumb.

Last edited:
I would absolutely go after Brandon Smith ... although i wouldn't offer him a blank cheque, as i don't consider him a franchise player that you could build a team around.

I actually think Turpin is a bit underrated and can develop a similar set of skills to Smith. the best hooker to have ever played the game is living just down the road ... so, i'd try to get him into to mentor Turps, if not the second best has just joined our staff (and the best hooker to play for us is also related to our new head coach)

i'd probably go 600-650k max. a Smith/Turpin 1-2 punch would be a fantastic rotation for us.

Anyone else heard the whisper that broncos are in discussions with the Tigers re: Mbye.

Hopefully they ran out of breath because **** that for a signing.
Very much depends on his price. For under 350,000, yep, as long as Walter's has a plan for him that makes sense. Anything more and it's a hard pass. And also depends who we lose. If we lose croft or.. Ye, probably a pass haha

Brandon Smith is worth about 700k I would say, he hasn't been given a proper crack at Hooker though but he has seriously impressed me everytime he has played at 9, the comp is lacking quality 9s big time atm as well.

If we got him with the forwards we got we would have probaby the fastest PTB speed the comp has ever seen.

They’re critical because they’re an extra play maker. Not because they just run hard. He’s not the type of player that is a critical dummy half as he’s not a play making hooker like Smith, Cook, Grant etc.

The NRL.com squad list has been updated with Ethan Bullemor, David Mead and Ben Te'o in the NRL squad.

Interestingly neither Gamble nor Kennar have been included.

As it stands, the Broncos have six weeks to announce two more signings.
You mean ‘broncos have 6 weeks to remember to update the website to include Kenner and Gamble’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.