Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the QLDER show Lockyer was asked about what kind of players the broncos should be looking at recruiting.
Lockyer replies "At the moment it's about putting some money aside to go to the market. We haven't been in that position for a few years now. We've decided we probably do need to go to the market to get a player. I'm not going to go into what type of player. We just need to get our cap in a position where we can go to the market. I would say if you are going to bring a key player to your team it's often someone in the spine. We haven't identified who that is or what position but at the moment it's about putting some money aside for that."

On the QLDER show Lockyer was asked about what kind of players the broncos should be looking at recruiting.
Lockyer replies "At the moment it's about putting some money aside to go to the market. We haven't been in that position for a few years now. We've decided we probably do need to go to the market to get a player. I'm not going to go into what type of player. We just need to get our cap in a position where we can go to the market. I would say if you are going to bring a key player to your team it's often someone in the spine. We haven't identified who that is or what position but at the moment it's about putting some money aside for that."
I saw that. And it was more a relief than anything else to hear that Locky and the board have recognised that we need to buy in one and perhaps two established spine players to revitalize our flagging youngsters.

Our new CEO has been receiving huge raps from this forum, and I hope he is as good as many are saying he is, but I'm wondering who or which group will be responsible for identifying those players we need and going after them. I shudder to think it will be left to those who are presently charged with that task as let's face it over the last 10 years we've failed miserably to identify and sign genuine gun players.

I wish i could see in Dearden what others can see. I think so far he looks a dime a dozen young half that probably 14 of the 16 clubs could run out to similar effect. Would Paix have even done worse with the same opportunities Dearden has had?

I get he has not had a good team to really dominate for him to show his flamboyant side but he has had a lot of games now and nothing really stands out as being above average. I remember a game last year, might have been the Sharks, when the result was tight and he didn't put his body on the line attacking the loose ball and cost us a chance of the win. Maybe that has negatively tainted my bias on him.

I still hope he stays on a realistic contract with us and can develop into the player we hope he can be but if he goes to the Cows, who are in worse shape than us atm, i won't lose any sleep.
For me, it’s the fact that he’s not Croft.

How about someone who has won at least one premiership. Otherwise, what's the point?

NRL on nine facebook page posted a video of Both Joey and Freddy been asked what they do to save the Broncos next year if they're given 1 million dollars.

Now i know alot of people dont like these two but both actually had good responses.

Joey said take out Brisbane's spine and they have a good side. He said he'd buy Daryl Clark from the UK as we need a running hooker. And then Shaun Johnson and if not him then Charlie Staines to play next to Deardon. He also said Issako is not a fullback and shouldn't be there moving forward.

Freddy says Brandon Smith (who joey agrees with but thinks we'd have to pay too much to get him here 650k+) and also william kennedy. Surely someone in our organisation can see along with 90% of the population we need something similar to the above mentioned players next year!?? And we should have money to spend.
I definitely agree that at least 75% of the spine needs to be thrown out and start again. I also agree that the rest of the team is solid. Still 1 good experienced forward and maybe a centre short but a good spine would be able to get this team in the top 8.

I think Isaako would be a very serviceable winger based on his form this year. He’s getting all the physical stuff correct but he just doesn’t have the game awareness to be in the spine.

I definitely agree that at least 75% of the spine needs to be thrown out and start again. I also agree that the rest of the team is solid. Still 1 good experienced forward and maybe a centre short but a good spine would be able to get this team in the top 8.

I think Isaako would be a very serviceable winger based on his form this year. He’s getting all the physical stuff correct but he just doesn’t have the game awareness.

Totally agree. You bring in a gun half who actually performs to his pay packet and an experienced prop/second-rower in the form of Lui/Capewell/McGuire and two backs in Opacic and Gagai, this side looks heaps better. They need to bring in these solid NRL players/very good players to create better competition for spots among the kids. Make Flegler/Dearden/Niu/Carrigan/Bullemor/Piakura earn their spots.

For fullback, I'd be bringing in Hammer because he will be cheap and you open the fullback spot to whoever wants it more between him, Niu and Herbie.

I just watched Freddy and The Eighth. I like Freddy, seems like a genuinely good dude but Johns made a really good point about no reward for development, they all agree and then move on.

Meanwhile, Vlandys solution? Struggling clubs just do better and we aren't helping you whatsoever, in fact lets make it harder by bringing back in the 20s. Thanks boss, another winning idea if you are wanting to fail.

For fullback, I'd be bringing in Hammer because he will be cheap and you open the fullback spot to whoever wants it more between him, Niu and Herbie.
We may very well be in with a shot of grabbing the Hammer too. Payten has signed Peta Hiku to join Cowsgirls next year in the centres (Hammers current position), so he could be looking for a release hopefully if he feels he is getting messed around up there.

I just watched Freddy and The Eighth. I like Freddy, seems like a genuinely good dude but Johns made a really good point about no reward for development, they all agree and then move on.

Meanwhile, Vlandys solution? Struggling clubs just do better and we aren't helping you whatsoever, in fact lets make it harder by bringing back in the 20s. Thanks boss, another winning idea if you are wanting to fail.
The 20's thing is just ridiculous.... I have no idea what's going through his head to come to the conclusion that a lack of a 20's competition is leading to blow out scorelines... Blow out scorelines were the norm in the 20's comp FFS.

On the development thing I think the only incentives at the moment is like $300k across the squad for players that have played 8yrs or more... and they've also brought in 10% allowance for players that spend 2yrs on a development contract with the club.

The 10% interests me, but I'm not sure if it's 10% for the rest of their career with the club or 10% for the first top 30 contract.

The kids hardly stay on a development deal at the moment so I'm leaning towards the latter... and if it is then it is basically pointless because the first contract is generally pretty low.

I dont see how it can be hard for say 10% when you've been with a club for 5yr, 15% for 8yr and 20% for 10yr plus.

20% for 10yrs plus would be about $2m in cap, but every player would need to qualify for it to come into effect, which is just never going to be the case... so it's not something easily rorted, it would allow say a CS9 to get 1.2m from storm vs competing offers or more importantly reducing cap pressure from veteran players to keep them in the game... $40-80k back on Macca, $20-40k back on Glenn, etc. starts to build up and suddenly it's advantageous to keep vets around the squad instead of discarding them when they hit 30

Also a 10% bump after 5yrs basically puts them into the 23yr area, which is right where Staggs is... so $600k basically ends up being a $540k cap hit which is tolerable and allows us to compete with big spending poaching clubs

I have worries about Dearden (and a few others). Talent wise, you can see he has something but between the ears, I'm not sure he has the competitive edge you need to succeed at this level. It is not always something you can teach either. Case in point is last game, he laid on a beautiful pass for Coates early and then for some reason, spent the rest of the game in his shell.

I'm worried I've seen this before. The Lions drafted a kid who had all the talent in the world and even had a connection to the club through his late father in Josh Schache, so they draft him in the top three of that year. Fast forward a few years later, he is now at another club and is barely getting a game. The issue? He never had any semblance of a competitive attitude, so he's never made it, despite all the talent in the world.

I hope I'm wrong.
I really like your contributions mate but you need to relax with the lions/afl. From what people tell me and from my point of view the thing people get sick of with the afl is it getting constantly jammed down our throats like it's the greatest sport on earth and Melbourne is the centre of the universe. So the constant references aren't helping that stereotype, lions are winning and we are losing but still 99% of people on here don't know who most of them are.

It’s an attempt to sweeten any proposed contract by using any money they have free after Morgan retires to pay him this season as well. It doesn’t mean Dearden invited it, with Morgan retiring they are desperate & are probably sounding out a whole host of players.
Cowboys now after Clune as part of a swap with McGuire.

I really think the Dearden thing has been overplayed.

I don’t know about you guys but a halves pairing of Reynolds and Staggs would be killer! But yeah signing Reynolds would see the back of Dearden I’m sure of it. And Dearden is the future in my opinion just needs his adult body and he will lead this team for years. Could be wrong though. What I would do for a halfback like 2014 Ben Hunt ohhhhhh maaan haha!

Wantaway Tiger shops himself to Broncos

Moses Mbye:

“I would certainly look at the Broncos. At the minute, it looks like they are keeping a spot open for Billy Walters and he fits that mould of a No.14. I will wait and see what happens. The Broncos have a few players off-contract and they have a new coach in ‘Kevvie’ (Walters), so you never know what will happen with their roster. I’ve been coached by Kevvie in the Origin team so if an opportunity pops up at the Broncos, I would definitely consider it."

“I’m from Queensland so a return home has some appeal for me.”

“I haven’t spoken to the Cowboys formally but I won’t say no to them or the Broncos. If the Cowboys come to me, I’m more than happy to speak to them and weigh up what’s a good opportunity to play to my potential again. I will see there the dominoes fall in the next few months. I‘m fully committed to the Tigers for this season and if it turns out I’m required to play on here next year, I will honour my deal."

“Sometimes when you get into a little rut at a club, a change can ignite something. You see it all the time with new coaches and new players when they come into a club, they just get a fresher feel and that might be the case for me leaving the Tigers. I think I see myself in that No.14 utility spot moving forward. The game is really accommodating that position with the speed of the NRL. The faster pace allows the smaller man to play through the middle a bit more and I don‘t mind coming off the bench and making an impact when I come on."

“Over my career people have asked me if being a utility is a blessing or a curse. I haven‘t really nailed down one spot, but being versatile has given me some great opportunities, like being part of the Queensland Origin team."

“If the Cowboys or Broncos wanted me this year or next, I‘d consider it.”

McHunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • scobie
  • broncsgoat
  • Manofoneway
  • Locky field goal
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Thelmus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • Stix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Tmac
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.