Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn't the draft system knocked on the head a fair few years back?

i'm sure the player association got involved and put an end to it. something about players were not happy with not being able to decide who they play for.

what makes the nrl think this will be any different.

I'm actually not to sure if a draft system is good for the nrl or not?

does it do its job in other sports of evening the playing field?

Terry Hill challenged the draft in court in 1990 because i didn't want to go to where he was drafted.

I'm pretty sure it was ruled a restraint of trade ... so not sure how the NRL could get around that ruling anyway

Not sure a draft would fix what is going on, the issue is some clubs are doing the lifting while others can sit back and do the picking. Granted all clubs take players, but the issue is the complete lack of reward for developing players. The Tigers cop a lot of flack but they have literal superstars not playing there who could or should have been. We can say "oh they should have realized the players potential" but maybe they didn't want to pay the overs to keep them when say the Storm are knocking on the door. We are in the same boat with X, the Storm came in offered a good contract and they are a top club, it would have been stupid for us to go there. Same with Paps and the Tigpies.

So the only fix I can think of Is the NRL allowing cap exemptions on contracts for a set number of players each year. Or fixed contract lengths for rookies, with fixed earning potential backed by a an injury payout cover that exceeds the contract length or something. See if a Rookie couldn't be given more money by another club, it would decrease the appeal of leaving the home club. I know this may be a legal mess and even impossible. But somehow the NRL needs to give clubs like the Panthers, Tigers, Us, Raiders a legit chance of keeping talent without blowing the cap to pieces.

I think cap relief on home grown talent is definitely the way to go, maybe the storm can finally actually grow the game in their home state, as the was the whole intention of their creation

Hone grown talent wouldn’t help the Broncos. Broncos have very few Brisbane players. You’d need make it recruited by end of school or been with the club since 17 and make debut.

Hone grown talent wouldn’t help the Broncos. Broncos have very few Brisbane players. You’d need make it recruited by end of school or been with the club since 17 and make debut.
thats more what i meant, having guys at the club since young

thats more what i meant, having guys at the club since young

Most clubs do that very well, I don’t think anyone would have a massive advantage if you made it at the club by 17 and debut would make the Storm and Roosters have huge amounts of players on the cheap. 17-debut is what the good clubs are doing well.

Is there much room in our salary cap for 2022 to sign anyone of note or is it just upgrades and Train and trial

Brandon Smith's agent is set to email all 16 clubs on Monday directing them to submit their best offers.
What offer would you throw at him to join the club?
Anything over 650k is overs.

Draft system won't work in the NRL, player managers already have enough power and can get blokes out of places they originally wanted to be. Can you imagine how players would act if they got thrown into a club they don't want to be at.

Most clubs do that very well, I don’t think anyone would have a massive advantage if you made it at the club by 17 and debut would make the Storm and Roosters have huge amounts of players on the cheap. 17-debut is what the good clubs are doing well.
Your defence of the storm and roosters with development is an absolute joke.
The storm have had 30 years to develop players out of Victoria. A state with a massive kiwi expat population and twice the population of Queensland. Look at the swans, even gws, the lions, even the bloody suns. All have produced local players. In the a league it's the same despite the international capacity to recruit, super rugby in areas that are not rugby hotspots. It is honestly disgusting. They've had more success then Al those clubs combined and leg ups including multiple origins yet they have developed Jack shit in there region. Your bs about brisnane not developing locally. I'd love to see the amount of money the broncos spend on development and junior footy in south East qld vs roosters and storm in their local areas. Who cares which ones make the top level, the investment is what grows the game, neither of those clubs do jack shit locally. I lived in Sydney, their junior pathways are near non-existent and they are well known to cherry pick from other areas once the heavy lifting had been done

Your defence of the storm and roosters with development is an absolute joke.
The storm have had 30 years to develop players out of Victoria. A state with a massive kiwi expat population and twice the population of Queensland. Look at the swans, even gws, the lions, even the bloody suns. All have produced local players. In the a league it's the same despite the international capacity to recruit, super rugby in areas that are not rugby hotspots. It is honestly disgusting. They've had more success then Al those clubs combined and leg ups including multiple origins yet they have developed Jack shit in there region. Your bs about brisnane not developing locally. I'd love to see the amount of money the broncos spend on development and junior footy in south East qld vs roosters and storm in their local areas. Who cares which ones make the top level, the investment is what grows the game, neither of those clubs do jack shit locally. I lived in Sydney, their junior pathways are near non-existent and they are well known to cherry pick from other areas once the heavy lifting had been done

That has to be a record of irrelevance for you; it’s pretty close to 100%.

You might as well have posted a recipe for Anzac Biscuits.

Not sure a draft would fix what is going on, the issue is some clubs are doing the lifting while others can sit back and do the picking. Granted all clubs take players, but the issue is the complete lack of reward for developing players. The Tigers cop a lot of flack but they have literal superstars not playing there who could or should have been. We can say "oh they should have realized the players potential" but maybe they didn't want to pay the overs to keep them when say the Storm are knocking on the door. We are in the same boat with X, the Storm came in offered a good contract and they are a top club, it would have been stupid for us to go there. Same with Paps and the Tigpies.

So the only fix I can think of Is the NRL allowing cap exemptions on contracts for a set number of players each year. Or fixed contract lengths for rookies, with fixed earning potential backed by a an injury payout cover that exceeds the contract length or something. See if a Rookie couldn't be given more money by another club, it would decrease the appeal of leaving the home club. I know this may be a legal mess and even impossible. But somehow the NRL needs to give clubs like the Panthers, Tigers, Us, Raiders a legit chance of keeping talent without blowing the cap to pieces.

You could tier it, so much discount if a player signs at 16 and makes your 30, bit less if he’s 17 and onwards.

Danger with that is clubs try and sign embryos so they get a discount in 18 years.

Problem with capping rookies is when a Daley or Wally come along that are Origin captains in their third year you’ve capped their earning.

Maybe a % of what clubs spend on junior development spend a million for example get 300k total off players that come through that pathway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tmac
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bucking Beads
  • achievedrap
  • Lozza
  • Fatboy
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Gaz
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Broncosarethebest
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Old Mate
  • westy316
  • broncos4life
  • rj9
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.