Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon the only position we're in the market for is hooker, and that's not going to happen until Billy Walters gets his two year deal. Then everything changes.

Call it nepotism if you want to be cunty, being a good dad if you want to be respectful (me), or whatever you want, but if I were Kevvie I would be getting Billy's football future locked away and then worrying about the team I actually think could win me a premiership. That team, in my opinion, doesn't have Billy Walters at hooker. Maybe on the bench, but that's also up for discussion.

I only half-believe what I'm writing, but I'm putting it forward as a plausible (conspiracy) theory:

1. Kevvie wants to be a great dad and a great coach. In that order, but neither at the expense of the other.

2. He's successfully maneuvered his borderline first grade son into a guaranteed starting position in the most glamorous team in the NRL. Congratulations mate, against all odds. No one saw that coming.

3. He's managed to do this without protest from fans because:

a.) Billy has put in the effort and has the right attitude.​
b.) There isn't anyone better.​
4. While Billy might be the best option, and there isn't anyone better, he's still only a borderline first grade player. Which leads to the question: why isn't there anyone better?

5. My theory is, there will be, but we won't see them until Billy is looked after. That's why I would do in Kevvie's shoes, anyway.

This is the only no-lose scenario for everyone. Billy has earned his tenure this year, but he's not young, he has little upside except for gaining experience and combinations, but he's not the future of our spine. And Kevvie must know that.

While we have Blake Mozer as understudy, he's not the answer in the short term. And Cory Paix doesn't appear to be either. Mix and match, there's not much between them. Except Billy is legacy Broncos, his old man knows he can trust him. Billy must have the edge as utility push comes to shove. Sucks to be Cory.

I got a lot of shit for saying Te Maire is the canary in this goldmine, but the point I was trying to make was around the standard of utility we're letting go, rather than them being literal equals. Te Maire probably isn't a hooker. But are you sure he couldn't have been fashioned into a better utility than Cory or Billy? We will never know, and the case is moot if Te Maire wanted to leave to NZ.

Which leads me to what we really need: an 80* minute veteran/gun hooker, who isn't Macca. Or we have to create one in the off season from someone like Tyson Gamble (probably not happening).

Is bashing Billy my "agenda" and talking up nepotism my "narrative?" Maybe it is. I can live with that. I just want to see us build a premiership spine. It's stalled right now around this player.

He's our best option, right now, I agree with all of that. I'm asking: how did that come to be, and why should it continue?

I don't have another hooker in mind, before you ask. My "agenda" only runs so deep.
We havent had a decent hooker since Berro... blame the R&R team over the last 15yrs.

The only option on the market at the moment that can play 80 to a high standard is Cook.

It could work as he has a rapport with Reynolds and he's old enough that you can transition pretty smoothly to Mozer when the time is right.... but he wants a big money 3yr deal.

Maybe if we offload Haas that money can go to Cook, but other than that I dont know how we squeeze him or a player of that ilk into our cap

We havent had a decent hooker since Berro... blame the R&R team over the last 15yrs.

The only option on the market at the moment that can play 80 to a high standard is Cook.

It could work as he has a rapport with Reynolds and he's old enough that you can transition pretty smoothly to Mozer when the time is right.... but he wants a big money 3yr deal.

Maybe if we offload Haas that money can go to Cook, but other than that I dont know how we squeeze him or a player of that ilk into our cap

Let Haas go, he is taking up money we could definitely use elsewhere and then go for Ben Hunt. Tell him he is playing for us in the 6 and once he's signed, immediately turn the piece of paper around and say 'Oops'.

It's an interesting proposition... Cook has been on a considerable decline the last few years, even losing his origin jersey to Korisau and being outplayed in that game.

His biggest strength was always his running game and he's been struggling to get it going the last few seasons and will probably only continue to struggle as he gets older in coming seasons.

Having said that, he's experienced, solid defensively, smart and gives 100%... He wouldn't be worth a big money contract, but on a reasonable deal as a stop-gap until Mozer is ready (and as a mentor for Mozer) it would definitely make sense.

It's an interesting proposition... Cook has been on a considerable decline the last few years, even losing his origin jersey to Korisau and being outplayed in that game.

His biggest strength was always his running game and he's been struggling to get it going the last few seasons and will probably only continue to struggle as he gets older in coming seasons.

Having said that, he's experienced, solid defensively, smart and gives 100%... He wouldn't be worth a big money contract, but on a reasonable deal as a stop-gap until Mozer is ready (and as a mentor for Mozer) it would definitely make sense.
To me I think Cook has the best service from dummy half in the comp... Api has more guile, but Cook's passes are lightning and straight onto the chest, and it doesnt matter if they're 5m or 20m away.

I think his "deterioration" was a result of Souths attack gearing towards Latrell and Cody, so he was just required to get it out to the backline.

In saying all that I wouldnt be overly keen on giving him the deal he's after.... I think his preferred 3yr deal is actually a 3yr extension, so 4yrs.

I dont think he can sustain an adequate level through to 2026 to justify the kind of money he wants

To me I think Cook has the best service from dummy half in the comp... Api has more guile, but Cook's passes are lightning and straight onto the chest, and it doesnt matter if they're 5m or 20m away.
And he gets away with lots of forward passes.

What about this as a whataboutism:

Haas -> Roosters
Keary -> Dragons
Hunt -> Titans
Fifita -> Broncos

Do people running with this idea that Billy is in the team solely because of the fact that his dad is the coach honestly think that Kevvie isn't consulting with his assistants?

Billy is in the team because he's one of the best options we have, anything you want to say after that is irrelevant.

Do people running with this idea that Billy is in the team solely because of the fact that his dad is the coach honestly think that Kevvie isn't consulting with his assistants?

Billy is in the team because he's one of the best options we have, anything you want to say after that is irrelevant.

Who has said that .... recently.

Billy has done a great job for us, and is a handy utility/depth option in the future ... doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for someone better

Let Haas go, he is taking up money we could definitely use elsewhere and then go for Ben Hunt. Tell him he is playing for us in the 6 and once he's signed, immediately turn the piece of paper around and say 'Oops'.
Lmao, a tried and true rorters recruitment method

Why is Billy the best option was my question.

Is there a single better option we've overlooked in the 9 months since we've had Billy?
I'm not in a position to know, but I'm not entirely convinced it's purely coincidence our hooker and coach have the same surname. Also, hands up if you knew Billy was hired to be our starting hooker.

Terapin ,, err Turpin was the 1st choice #9 , then Paix , then Billy was back up .
Not Kevin`s fault plan A and B didn`t work out is it ? Now plan C is the best option . But plan A got the start again last night with plan C on the bench .

Predicting the future is fraught with dangers .

Terapin ,, err Turpin was the 1st choice #9 , then Paix , then Billy was back up .
Not Kevin`s fault plan A and B didn`t work out is it ? Now plan C is the best option . But plan A got the start again last night with plan C on the bench .

Predicting the future is fraught with dangers .
Billy was supposed to be a 6, so he was more like a backup to Gamble and Kelly, with Mam the assumed boss level. Then we put two more 6's in Roberts and Martin on train and trial. That's 6 number 6's, without even mentioning Kotoni Staggs who was also promised 6. So that's 7 players at 6.

Our hooker stocks were Turpin, who was already being slagged off, and Paix who's only good for short stints. We bought no impact hooker in the mold of Segeyaro, Nikorima or Granville. Our only other addition was Blake Mozer who still looks a way off first grade. So that's one 9 and one 14. Enter Billy Walters, another makeshift hooker, like the other two, who were also halves.

Little wonder Billy is our best option. Am I really wrong for asking why we have no depth at hooker?

Hunt would ace our premiership spine. I'd trade Haas and Turpin in a heartbeat.

I think that's the carrot you'd dangle in front of him. He won't win a premiership with the Dragons and any team that would take him at 7 likely won't be challenging any time soon. But Benny playing 9 for us...

Not to mention if/when Reynolds gets injured throughout a season he's a perfect backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Jazza
  • Lurker
  • Brocko
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • lynx000
  • Redux
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.