Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mozer looks great but Grant is great. At some point we need to sign or play current NRL players instead of being infatuated with potential. I’d rather sign Grant and then having to decide between him and Mozer in 3 years than to not sign Grant because a 16/17 year old looks admittedly very talented.

The odds of a promising 16 year old being as good as Harry Grant is low regardless of how they look against other kids, it’s a pretty big roll of the dice. Even without injury, or the common issues with translating the skill into the NRL, there’s every chance that Mozer could just sign elsewhere anyway.
Yeah I wouldn't pass up the chance to sign Grant you'd be crazy not too. I'm more meaning who would be the better option for Mozer who has the potential to be great to work as a apprentice to if he is willing to play that role and that would be Grant over Smith for me.

Seems like we have been in a position similar to this before when we had Priddis and a young Cam Smith was coming through. if Mozer is as good as reports say he is/going to be we should be tying him up long term and then go for Grant/Smith so we got abit of security if we dont land them.

Mozer looks great but Grant is great. At some point we need to sign or play current NRL players instead of being infatuated with potential. I’d rather sign Grant and then having to decide between him and Mozer in 3 years than to not sign Grant because a 16/17 year old looks admittedly very talented.

The odds of a promising 16 year old being as good as Harry Grant is low regardless of how they look against other kids, it’s a pretty big roll of the dice. Even without injury, or the common issues with translating the skill into the NRL, there’s every chance that Mozer could just sign elsewhere anyway.
Even if Mozer is 100% going to be great, Grant IS a great player, he's everything you could want from a 9 in the modern game and seems like a real clean skin off the field.

You'd be crazy not to try to sign him, no matter how well Mozer may or may not play in future. You'd find a way to get him into the team if he really is that good and see if you can shoehorn him into another role, if you can't, around the time he's ready you would ask Grant to commit to a long term extension and if he doesn't all in on Mozer if he looks the goods closer to when he's ready for first grade.

Would be happy to take either one but I'm not sure what one would be best suited to us with Mozer (who by all reports is going to be something special) will be transitioning into intrust super cup next season so he could be knocking on the door for a spot in the 17 possibly 23, 24 if he's ready.
I think if your looking at someone who Mozer can be apprentice to I think Grant is the best option.

Mozer will play Colts and MM next year; he can’t play ISC until after May if he even plays ISC.

The issue is that there is a zero percent chance that Melb release Grant for next year if he signs elsewhere for 2023. Could be a bonus for us tho with so much of our cap freeing up in '23.
You never know, if he signs for next 2024, Melbourne could have salary cap pressure, because I agree there's no way they'd release him early otherwise but he could also just refuse to get vaccinated, Melbourne will be forced to fire him then have a change of heart and sign with us a week later.

You never know, if he signs for next 2024, Melbourne could have salary cap pressure, because I agree there's no way they'd release him early otherwise but he could also just refuse to get vaccinated, Melbourne will be forced to fire him then have a change of heart and sign with us a week later.
Delete this before Haas gets any ideas

Even if Mozer is 100% going to be great, Grant IS a great player, he's everything you could want from a 9 in the modern game and seems like a real clean skin off the field.

You'd be crazy not to try to sign him, no matter how well Mozer may or may not play in future. You'd find a way to get him into the team if he really is that good and see if you can shoehorn him into another role, if you can't, around the time he's ready you would ask Grant to commit to a long term extension and if he doesn't all in on Mozer if he looks the goods closer to when he's ready for first grade.
Genuine question @Kimlo , respect your opinion

I thought Grant was underwhelming in Melbourne's prelim loss to Penrith. Prior to that I was all in thinking he is a franchise $1m spine payer, but that game gave me pause.

What did you think of him in that game and did it change your opinion at all? If so, how and why?

Not sure if the club offically announces Train and Trial Deals but read this
View attachment 15430
Good find matey, well done.
He's been listed for ages. Let me know if there are any errors or omissions in here:

Genuine question @Kimlo , respect your opinion

I thought Grant was underwhelming in Melbourne's prelim loss to Penrith. Prior to that I was all in thinking he is a franchise $1m spine payer, but that game gave me pause.

What did you think of him in that game and did it change your opinion at all? If so, how and why?
I can't lie, he was poor but he's had barely any game time this season so it's hard to make much of his game given the Storm had a ~60% completion rate. His game relies a lot on taking advantage of momentum in the ruck and capitalising on it.

I do agree he was poor but that's genuinely the first time he's been poor in first grade including origin, and the whole team sucked so I'm okay with ignoring it as an outlier. I still think he's arguably the best 9 in the game although Cook and Koroisau have a claim there too with Mahoney and B Smith not far behind.

I can't lie, he was poor but he's had barely any game time this season so it's hard to make much of his game given the Storm had a ~60% completion rate. His game relies a lot on taking advantage of momentum in the ruck and capitalising on it.

I do agree he was poor but that's genuinely the first time he's been poor in first grade including origin, and the whole team sucked so I'm okay with ignoring it as an outlier. I still think he's arguably the best 9 in the game although Cook and Koroisau have a claim there too with Mahoney and B Smith not far behind.

Which means hopefully his value has gone down a bit for when we announce him November 1 (I continue to dream)

I also hate how Melbourne use him coming off the bench, he's not an impact player / super sub type of rake and throwing him into a contest already half over gives him no time to find his feet and get into the rhythm of the game to allow him to pick his moments, it may even put too much pressure on him to instantly try and create a spark - especially when his team is on the back foot.

Grant is an out and out 80 min hooker and should be used that way.

If I were him I would be filthy at the way things had been handled at the Storm this year and I'd be looking for any way out. Brandon Smith is severely overrated as a 9 and Grant deserves that spot... we should be in his ear all off-season throwing everything at him.

Out of all the young players in the comp, if you could choose one as a sure thing to build your team around, it is Grant and it's not even close.

I also hate how Melbourne use him coming off the bench, he's not an impact player / super sub type of rake and throwing him into a contest already half over gives him no time to find his feet and get into the rhythm of the game to allow him to pick his moments, it may even put too much pressure on him to instantly try and create a spark - especially when his team is on the back foot.

Grant is an out and out 80 min hooker and should be used that way.

If I were him I would be filthy at the way things had been handled at the Storm this year and I'd be looking for any way out. Brandon Smith is severely overrated as a 9 and Grant deserves that spot... we should be in his ear all off-season throwing everything at him.

Out of all the young players in the comp, if you could choose one as a sure thing to build your team around, it is Grant and it's not even close.
I agree with you that Melbourne have not handled him well, but I also don’t think you’re 100% right about his impact from the bench.

Whilst Grant is definitely not your typical bench impact player, he did have a massive impact when he came off the bench for QLD in 2020.

It’s a bit of a conundrum, because I think where he currently is in his career, playing him 80 does dampen his effectiveness, but shoehorning him like the Storm have is also wrong.

What’s the solution? 🤷‍♂️

Come to the Broncos and we’ll figure it out.

Nathan Cleary is the same age...i think he would enter into discussions, no?

Cleary is very good, but would he be the same without an elite team firing around him? How would he look without Korisau at 9 and without his Panthers teammates blocking for him on every single kick? He has an excellent kicking game, no doubt, but he has still yet to show the ability to consistently create attacking opportunities - particularly in big games.

He's definitely a great young player, but a game-managing 7 with an elite kicking game vs the complete package at 9 isn't a tough one for mine. Although around the same age, remember that Cleary has had much more game experience starting in his preferred role than Grant. Grant has had one full uninterrupted year of playing 9... Cleary didnt look like he does now when he had only 1 year of proper experience.

Grant would make more difference to a team than Cleary in my opinion, if only because 9 is now a far more important position than 7 in the modern game.

I agree with you that Melbourne have not handled him well, but I also don’t think you’re 100% right about his impact from the bench.

Whilst Grant is definitely not your typical bench impact player, he did have a massive impact when he came off the bench for QLD in 2020.

It’s a bit of a conundrum, because I think where he currently is in his career, playing him 80 does dampen his effectiveness, but shoehorning him like the Storm have is also wrong.

What’s the solution? 🤷‍♂️

Come to the Broncos and we’ll figure it out.

He absolutely had a huge impact off the bench in that game - imagine if he had played the whole game!

I just mean his role isn't to be the type of sub hooker who comes on to add some spark around the ruck and have a gallop around some tired fowards (Like Nikorima used to do for us) and putting him in that sort of role may be both confusing and difficult for him since it's not his natural game. As a starting hooker he can work into the game, get into the flow, feel the arm wrestle on the field and use his excellent instincts to make the right plays - he has that uncanny Cam Smith-esque ability to know exactly the right play at the right time - such an important quality for a hooker.

As a sub hooker vs the Panthers, he gets thrown into a contest already well underway, with his team both behind on the scoreboard and playing poorly. He doesn't have the time to settle into the rhythm of the game and start masterfully pulling the strings, he has a short stint to come in and instantly try to create an opportunity... Even if that's not what his coach is telling him to do, no doubt he's feeling like that's what he needs to do.

I think its a disservice to Grant to use him that way.

Although around the same age, remember that Cleary has had much more game experience starting in his preferred role than Grant. Grant has had one full uninterrupted year of playing 9... Cleary didnt look like he does now when he had only 1 year of proper experience.
Experience isn't that relative on the original claim about choosing one young player to build your team around saying it's not even close between Grant and anyone else. You weren't talking about a then 20 year old Cleary vs. a current 23 year old Grant. It's who you would choose to build a team around now and they are both 23 so comparable at their current level.

It's splitting hairs though, they are both guns and standouts in their position. I only spoke up about your claim that it is effectively only Grant and no one even close to him as a "young" player to choose for your team.

Experience isn't that relative on the original claim about choosing one young player to build your team around saying it's not even close between Grant and anyone else. You weren't talking about a then 20 year old Cleary vs. a current 23 year old Grant. It's who you would choose to build a team around now and they are both 23 so comparable at their current level.

It's splitting hairs though, they are both guns and standouts in their position. I only spoke up about your claim that it is effectively only Grant and no one even close to him as a "young" player to choose for your team.

If you were starting a new team from scratch tomorrow and had to choose your #1 target to build around for the next decade (so let's assume players 23 years older and under to we can include Grant and Cleary), here's my list in order of preference:

Grant
Cleary
Burton
Walker
Walsh
Murray
Haas

Like you said, they're all gun young players, but in terms of the best single piece for a new team, I think a top notch 9 like Grant is better than a very good 7 like Cleary.

What would your list be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.