Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were starting a new team from scratch tomorrow and had to choose your #1 target to build around for the next decade (so let's assume players 23 years older and under to we can include Grant and Cleary), here's my list in order of preference:

Grant
Cleary
Burton
Walker
Walsh
Murray
Haas

Like you said, they're all gun young players, but in terms of the best single piece for a new team, I think a top notch 9 like Grant is better than a very good 7 like Cleary.

What would your list be?
Yeah its a good list but i'm not as high on Walker or Walsh yet but due to their positions they would certainly be in the conversation.

For me the choice between Cleary and Grant would change whether had a total blank slate (they were the first signing) or you had a team and they were fitting in. I do agree with you that hooker stands out as i think its harder to find a really good one, let alone a gun player. We haven't really had one since Priddis/Berrigan's golden patch...

Your top 3 is hard to argue with and i'd probably have Haas next. If 23 and under is the cutoff I'd choose Mahoney, Ponga, Brimson and Shuster over Walker and Walsh.

I'd also take Tino and/or Fifita over Murray but that's personal bias as Cam Murray is a proven performer

Would be good to go 1M for a Grant player just to force the Storm to pay up for longer than they would prefer. Can even just float numbers at the manager.. don't need to commit, the manager presumably shouldn't know that you aren't 100% serious, or even have the cap space, with your 1M per year offer?

Hard nosed negotiations with a view to benefitting the Broncos pure and simple seem to have been missing during the past few years at the Broncs.. Too busy having meetings and navigating around corporate ladders I think.

Would be good to go 1M for a Grant player just to force the Storm to pay up for longer than they would prefer. Can even just float numbers at the manager.. don't need to commit, the manager presumably shouldn't know that you aren't 100% serious, or even have the cap space, with your 1M per year offer?

Hard nosed negotiations with a view to benefitting the Broncos pure and simple seem to have been missing during the past few years at the Broncs.. Too busy having meetings and navigating around corporate ladders I think.

Agreed, there's no excuse to not be hounding Grant and his management and at least putting the idea of ridiculous numbers in his mind.

Remember, Fifita had no interest in leaving us until the Titans started putting the idea of big $$$ in his head...

Yeah its a good list but i'm not as high on Walker or Walsh yet but due to their positions they would certainly be in the conversation.

For me the choice between Cleary and Grant would change whether had a total blank slate (they were the first signing) or you had a team and they were fitting in. I do agree with you that hooker stands out as i think its harder to find a really good one, let alone a gun player. We haven't really had one since Priddis/Berrigan's golden patch...

Your top 3 is hard to argue with and i'd probably have Haas next. If 23 and under is the cutoff I'd choose Mahoney, Ponga, Brimson and Shuster over Walker and Walsh.

I'd also take Tino and/or Fifita over Murray but that's personal bias as Cam Murray is a proven performer

Considered Ponga too, but I don't think his heart is in rugby league.

Think he'll be off to Union / the next highest bidder at every chance he has. On talent he should make the list, but I'm not sure he's a wise investment for a new team.

If we did somehow land Grant (I know the Storm won’t release him early but I don’t care, I want him signed November 1). But let’s say it happens, this could be our side at some point next year:

1. Cobbo
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Lee/Mariner
5. Farnworth
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Grant
10. Flegler
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Hetherington

14. Paix
15. James/Carrigan
16. Robati
17. Piakura

Wowsers!

Cleary is very good, but would he be the same without an elite team firing around him? How would he look without Korisau at 9 and without his Panthers teammates blocking for him on every single kick? He has an excellent kicking game, no doubt, but he has still yet to show the ability to consistently create attacking opportunities - particularly in big games.

He's definitely a great young player, but a game-managing 7 with an elite kicking game vs the complete package at 9 isn't a tough one for mine. Although around the same age, remember that Cleary has had much more game experience starting in his preferred role than Grant. Grant has had one full uninterrupted year of playing 9... Cleary didnt look like he does now when he had only 1 year of proper experience.

Grant would make more difference to a team than Cleary in my opinion, if only because 9 is now a far more important position than 7 in the modern game.
Yes. I would choose Cleary over Grant, without a second's hesitance. I've said before I think he's the most complete halfback I've ever seen, and a worthy Dally M medalist. Grant's maybe not even the best hooker at his own club, but I'd also sign him in a flash if he ever comes on the market. I would prefer him over Smith, and also Ponga, who is likely to join the All Blacks if he can make the cut.

We could get Grant for 750 over 3-4 years. I doubt we have that cash and i have even more reservations spending that money. Cam Smith was only on 800 in his last season and 980 for the previous three. Grant isn't a Smith yet.

We could get Grant for 750 over 3-4 years. I doubt we have that cash and i have even more reservations spending that money. Cam Smith was only on 800 in his last season and 980 for the previous three. Grant isn't a Smith yet.

i'm sure we could find that cash ... especially if it isn't needed until 2023

You can't compare his salary to Smith and then try to justify what he is worth on the open market, and any reports I've seen suggest Smith was on close to the million mark, if not beyond that.

Grant would be a steal at 750k/yr.

You can't compare his salary to Smith and then try to justify what he is worth on the open market, and any reports I've seen suggest Smith was on close to the million mark, if not beyond that.

Grant would be a steal at 750k/yr.

You'd absolutely move some pieces away if it meant you got him for 750k. Hey the Storm got Paps for 650, so 750 isn't unrealistic.

For 2023, we will be free of a lot of cash. Hopefully most of Lodge's contract is bought forward and no longer as much. We will not renew Oates on anything like he is on now if at all. We will likely be free of Isaako, Turpin and a few others. We'll be able to afford him.

I actually think our biggest challenge is the Brisbane Fakes.

100% and I didn't think of this until a CEO pointed it out to me but the Dolphins will have a clean slate, $10 million to spend with no baggage and not inheriting any problems, no 300k over here or paying this player over there. They can sit down and plan their $10 million exactly how they want for the first four years.

That's massive.

The Recruitment team can sit and watch and make careful choices. With their ISC, HDC, MM and CC advantage too they should be laughing.

100% and I didn't think of this until a CEO pointed it out to me but the Dolphins will have a clean slate, $10 million to spend with no baggage and not inheriting any problems, no 300k over here or paying this player over there. They can sit down and plan their $10 million exactly how they want for the first four years.

That's massive.

The Recruitment team can sit and watch and make careful choices. With their ISC, HDC, MM and CC advantage too they should be laughing.
100% and the chance to be an inaugural player at a Wayne Bennett birthed club would be hugely appealing.

I think for even money, a lot of players would chose that team over the broncos in their current state.

We need to throw whatever we've got at Grant because if we get him, I think we would be a top 4 side. Him and Reynolds are the class we need in the spine and we have a few good fullback options plus a really promising 6 coming through, we'd be right up there and we need to tell him that constantly. Let him know of the sponsorship options he'd have and remind him of the fanbase compared to the unknown of the fakes.

The question is, how well does he get on with Munster? Munster will be the face of the new team, so let's hope him and Grant aren't tight.

We need to throw whatever we've got at Grant because if we get him, I think we would be a top 4 side. Him and Reynolds are the class we need in the spine and we have a few good fullback options plus a really promising 6 coming through, we'd be right up there and we need to tell him that constantly. Let him know of the sponsorship options he'd have and remind him of the fanbase compared to the unknown of the fakes.

The question is, how well does he get on with Munster? Munster will be the face of the new team, so let's hope him and Grant aren't tight.
It seems like BSmith is tight with Munster... and also off contract in 2023... and also wants to move to SEQ because his family is now here.

Also comes down to whether the plastics actually want Munster... Munster has said he wants to come, but do they want him now that he comes with a bit of baggage.

I mean they should want him as his profile and star appeal is sky high at the moment (as is Munster more often than not) and he is a QLD origin player to boot... so he's perfect to build around

That's massive.

Be that as it may, there will also be 16 other clubs with a heightened degree of vigilance when it comes to locking away their most prized talent.

They'll more than likely land one or two big ones but the vast majority of their inaugural squad will consist of 'the fish john west reject'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Wild Horse
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Stix
  • Robboi_321
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.