Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask Penrith all about that, only in the past couple of years has it turned into success at NRL level.

They've been dominant in most of the lower grades in NSW for a while now

The Phins now also have a direct path to NRL footy. Some of these players they have lost wont need to leave. Their pathways are still excellent.

The Phins now also have a direct path to NRL footy. Some of these players they have lost wont need to leave. Their pathways are still excellent.

It will be interesting to see what Melbourne do now their area is basically taken from under them thankfully.

It will be interesting to see what Melbourne do now their area is basically taken from under them thankfully.

Might take them 2 or 3 years to start dragging younger players out of their system, but i reckon it will happen

Ask Penrith all about that, only in the past couple of years has it turned into success at NRL level.

They've been dominant in most of the lower grades in NSW for a while now

Penrith have made four grand finals and won three with a large percentage of locals in those teams.

When they've gone away from that they have struggled.

That still doesn't explain why you think the Dolphins will struggle to produce juniors?

If you don't think other clubs (especially the one next to them) aren't going to be watching what is going on in their lower grades if they have any sort of success, I don't know what to tell you

It doesn't have to change anything, Storm have their systems on the coast with the Bunn times two set up there and their relationship with the Falcons, if you're playing on the Coast you're just going to have a choice now which system you go into.

Up to Storm/Falcons to have the more attractive option if they want to keep being successful out of there.

If you don't think other clubs (especially the one next to them) aren't going to be watching what is going on in their lower grades if they have any sort of success, I don't know what to tell you

They've been losing players forever and they keep producing, why would they suddenly drop off a cliff now?

Now Petero, Shillington, Tate, Carlaw, Mogg, DCE, Cooper, Gagai, and Gillett etc won't have to leave.

Provided they keep doing what they have been doing and bringing those players through their system I don't see why it would suddenly break down.

Penrith have made four grand finals and won three with a large percentage of locals in those teams.

When they've gone away from that they have struggled.

That still doesn't explain why you think the Dolphins will struggle to produce juniors?

They will produce them, of course they will, I never said they wouldn't. Especially if they go with this model where they try to get a firm hold on everything from Redcliffe to the Sunshine Coast

I just don't think it will be a seamless transition, what I said is I don't think they will have the depth of talent that other established clubs have. Other clubs like Melbourne as an example, are getting them from everywhere, Brisbane as well, Roosters.. etc, the top clubs don't just get talent from a particular area, are Redcliffe doing that? I don't think they are, hence why I think they won't have the same depth other clubs already have

I look at the promising players we've had to upgrade before they even put on a Broncos jersey, I can't see how it would be any different for Redcliffe. They've got to assemble a 30 man squad while retaining all of these young players you speak of, they're gonna need all the cash they apparently have. Other clubs are already watching, you don't get an entire area to yourself anymore in the NRL.

They will produce them, of course they will, I never said they wouldn't. Especially if they go with this model where they try to get a firm hold on everything from Redcliffe to the Sunshine Coast

I just don't think it will be a seamless transition, what I said is I don't think they will have the depth of talent that other established clubs have. Other clubs like Melbourne as an example, are getting them from everywhere, Brisbane as well, Roosters.. etc, the top clubs don't just get talent from a particular area, are Redcliffe doing that? I don't think they are, hence why I think they won't have the same depth other clubs already have

I look at the promising players we've had to upgrade before they even put on a Broncos jersey, I can't see how it would be any different for Redcliffe. They've got to assemble a 30 man squad while retaining all of these young players you speak of, they're gonna need all the cash they apparently have. Other clubs are already watching, you don't get an entire area to yourself anymore in the NRL.

Interestingly I wonder if it might help us to sign a few more kids under the radar now. I think we already saw it a little with Mam.

They won't limit themselves, I don't see why they would. O'Sullivan will be everywhere trying to find players.

They'll find players and put them in their CC, MM or Colts the same way every club does.

Complementing their huge amount of juniors and filtering up to their NRL. They don't have to reinvent anything- they just have to do it well.

Interestingly I wonder if it might help us to sign a few more kids under the radar now. I think we already saw it a little with Mam.

Mam has been with the Broncos for five years, he just stayed the course and moved up to NRL top 30.

The thing that kept Mam a little under the radar was not going to an ALF school; playing Langer Cup could have changed things.

Having Wayne is going to help. I've been saying it for a while though, 2024 is going to be the year they bring in the star quality imo. As long as they are competitive and dont get blown away every week i think thats a solid start for them.
You’re not wrong but with Walker and Munster off the table for 23 their is no star talent outside of the forwards available accept Manu and Gutho (and maybe or maybe not Ponga).

If they miss out on Manu or Gatho they’re in a bit of trouble in the backs. Especially in the halves - Milford / Taylor pairing?

Low grade rumour.

Rothfield - via Crawley - reckons the Dolphins are after Ponga in 2023 and they'd be willing to pay up to $1.4 million a season for him.

O'Sullivan:

“Well, he could be. Who wouldn’t be keen on him? You could name anyone at that top echelon of players but they have to be coming off contract. And, two, they have to want to come.”

They can watch all they like, but they have a huge advantage over other Queensland clubs because they have a pathway to NRL right from 6 years old. Who else has that? We certainly dont for a start. They could cherry pick players from them in the past, but now they are an NRL club they have no need to leave. IF you cant see that i don't know what to tell you either really. The talent is already there at Redcliffe, they have just had to leave to play NRL. Now they dont. Lets face it, the state of all the other Queensland clubs hardly makes them more attractive propositions these days. We arent a powerhouse anymore like we used to be.

Low grade rumour.

Rothfield - via Crawley - reckons the Dolphins are after Ponga in 2023 and they'd be willing to pay up to $1.4 million a season for him.

O'Sullivan:

“Well, he could be. Who wouldn’t be keen on him? You could name anyone at that top echelon of players but they have to be coming off contract. And, two, they have to want to come.”
Dolphins fullback will be Walsh. Already has one foot out the door.

He's a better option than Mcdonald, plus he isnt a dickhead off the field. We might as well just leave Oatesy to play the year out.
I agree, but also having some actual hungry competition is good overall for players. It may bring the best out of Oates. But I really think the best will of Oates is going to come by the way of Reynolds control of the backline.

You’re not wrong but with Walker and Munster off the table for 23 their is no star talent outside of the forwards available accept Manu and Gutho (and maybe or maybe not Ponga).

If they miss out on Manu or Gatho they’re in a bit of trouble in the backs. Especially in the halves - Milford / Taylor pairing?

I dont think they will panic too much in 2023 if they cant get that superstar half. I still wouldnt rule out Munster though tbh. They might have to take a few gambles but i think there are enough players out there for 2023 to make them competitive. They just need at least one quality spine player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.