Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coates deserved to be dropped anyways. His defence is atrocious. Melbourne about to find this out
Coates' two major flaws: getting caught out of position in defence, and fumbling balls in the air are two things I expect Bellamy to fix in the preseason. If not, yeah, he'll be back in the ISC angling to return to the Broncos.

They can watch all they like, but they have a huge advantage over other Queensland clubs because they have a pathway to NRL right from 6 years old. Who else has that? We certainly dont for a start. They could cherry pick players from them in the past, but now they are an NRL club they have no need to leave. IF you cant see that i don't know what to tell you either really. The talent is already there at Redcliffe, they have just had to leave to play NRL. Now they dont. Lets face it, the state of all the other Queensland clubs hardly makes them more attractive propositions these days. We arent a powerhouse anymore like we used to be.
Yes, I don't see the Dolphins as being a rerun of the Crushers, who really had a third rate squad compared to us. It's yet to be seen who they'll ultimately land but with the pull of Bennett and the rest of their senior staff, they're shaping up as the glamour club of 2023. I expect them to hit the ground running. Our first match-up is going to be brutal.

Why won't their junior teams be as good as the other teams?

Their Colts came third and CC first, MM didn't have a good year. Those grades have produced whole NRL teams for the last 20 years, I don't see why they'd just lose that ability in 2023.
I'd be interested to know how many of those players are already affiliated with an NRL team??

I think the runway for Dolphins is very small in regards to keeping their young talent on the Dolphins' books, because in the current NRL the good prospects are identified and locked up early.

Dolphins are coming to the party late in that sense, so it would be interesting to know how many of their Colts, CC and MM teams are affiliated to the Dolphins (who effectively didnt exist in the NRL a few weeks ago) / Redcliffe compared to ones who have already been lured away.

I think from now on Dolphins talent will be able to stay with their team so the pathways are there, but a few weeks ago the NRL pathway was elsewhere

Low grade rumour.

Rothfield - via Crawley - reckons the Dolphins are after Ponga in 2023 and they'd be willing to pay up to $1.4 million a season for him.

O'Sullivan:

“Well, he could be. Who wouldn’t be keen on him? You could name anyone at that top echelon of players but they have to be coming off contract. And, two, they have to want to come.”
How come Ponga keeps getting brought up... I thought Fox Sports, etc. already said that Ponga's PO only comes into play if the knights win the comp.

They are fucking miles away from winning the comp so how does Ponga become any sort of option until like 2025 or something.

Other than him just agitating for a release... but let's just assume that is off the table, because Dolphins cant talk numbers to Ponga about 2023 or 2024

How come Ponga keeps getting brought up... I thought Fox Sports, etc. already said that Ponga's PO only comes into play if the knights win the comp.

They are fucking miles away from winning the comp so how does Ponga become any sort of option until like 2025 or something.

Other than him just agitating for a release... but let's just assume that is off the table, because Dolphins cant talk numbers to Ponga about 2023 or 2024
That was mentioned, and it's why I would dismiss the rumour. Also, he's off to the All Blacks next. If they'll have him.

Slow news time of year.

I dont think they will panic too much in 2023 if they cant get that superstar half. I still wouldnt rule out Munster though tbh. They might have to take a few gambles but i think there are enough players out there for 2023 to make them competitive. They just need at least one quality spine player.
It isn't neccessary to have superstar players ANYWHERE in your team. A team, motivated by the desire to never let their coach down only has to have average players to achieve average results. In the NRL, average means finals and finals means a season is considered successful.

A new team like Redcliffe making the finals would be considered exceeding expectations. Should they snag a couple of elite level players (in any positions) they are likely to play finals under WB. He's no rookie and not only knows what is required but how to achieve it.

Coates' two major flaws: getting caught out of position in defence, and fumbling balls in the air are two things I expect Bellamy to fix in the preseason. If not, yeah, he'll be back in the ISC angling to return to the Broncos.
melboure will turn coates into a wepon

The big advantage Redcliffe have is they don’t have dead rubber on their books. They can afford to sign a Ponga on $400k more than he’s worth because they aren’t paying $400k a year for Matt lodge to play for another team.

The big advantage Redcliffe have is they don’t have dead rubber on their books. They can afford to sign a Ponga on $400k more than he’s worth because they aren’t paying $400k a year for Matt lodge to play for another team.
True but it’s a good way to end up with dead rubber on their books if any of it goes bad. They aren’t the only team not paying for players at other clubs (eg Melbourne, Penrith, Roosters).

We’ve apparently “officially entered the race” for Brandon Smith along with 2 other QLD clubs - whatever that means.

He’s a good player but I’ve gone pretty cold on Smith. Seems like a potentially very disruptive character - especially now he’s been signed on for the YKTR’s guys for management. Wouldn’t be mad if we didn’t go near him.

We’ve apparently “officially entered the race” for Brandon Smith along with 2 other QLD clubs - whatever that means.

He’s a good player but I’ve gone pretty cold on Smith. Seems like a potentially very disruptive character - especially now he’s been signed on for the YKTR’s guys for management. Wouldn’t be mad if we didn’t go near him.

Read/Rothfield reporting that he has received a $1 million a season offer already ... so we should gracefully exit the race immediately. he's not worth anything near that

I like we are apparently in the mix with a few players. Just from the aspect of competition driving up the end price for whoever secures them. Happens to us all the time and one of the reasons I am sure the Roosters come up all the time in contract talk. Tells your off contract players that your in the market and not waiting on them and also puts the pressure on other clubs that may force their hand into paying overs. Lots of strategy to think about in silly season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • leon.bott
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • kman
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • broncsgoat
  • bazza
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Ozired
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.