Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys are a bit down on old Brandon!

I don't think he will slack off tbh. He hasn't really changed how he approaches playing from when I watched him at the Cowboys. I don't really think self preservation is in his make up so that's one area that could see him decline, but if you don't try to turn him into an 80 min hooker I think he will be fine.

I'm not sure he has that much of an ego tbh either. He doesn't come across to me as an arrogant sort of a bloke. He's stuffed up off the field this year, but he's got a pretty positive attitude and I think that rubs off on other players. I also think he has good game awareness tbh. He comes up with some big plays and his hooker play got better and better as the season went on, which surprised me as I didn't think he was more than a solid hooker.

Big pay, off-field distractions, ego, build up of niggling injuries, thoughts of self preservation to extend earning potential, comfort / complacency ... all factors that could see him slack off even 10-15%.

Brandon Smith playing at 85% intensity is basically Macca - no awareness, game management or special skills, just a solid defender in the middle.

There's a lot of km's on those tires for someone his age and it's not going to get any easier for him to keep playing with such disregard for his own body / pure emotion and intensity.

Maybe he's worth the price tag for the first season, but I think he's a risk on 2-3 year deal and I'd be more comfortable targetting a young player who you could build the club around for a longer period.

All players bodies accumulate wear and tear as they get older, no matter how they play the game - there's a reason that those who last in the NRL do so - they have skills, knowledge and brains to compensate for declining physical skills. Playing the way B Smith does is an express ticket to a broken down body and CTE, he will need to adapt or he'll be washed up very quickly.

Smith is a product of his environment too, in a good team he can play 30 minutes go crazy and fill his role. He's like Gilchrist at 6 you can carry him coming in and swinging because most times they were 5/450.

If you ask Smith to play 80 minutes and carry a team for 800k you're quickly going to blunt the reason you bought him.

The best thing for his career is to accept he is a 30 minute impact player and be happy with 500k in a good team.

If he gets visions of 800k and playing 80 minutes I think someone will be disappointed.

Smith is absolutely Foran mkII. Will ruin his career with injuries if he doesn’t adjust how he plays.

Hooker + two halves.
I honestly can't see them paying Ben Hunt big money to play at hooker. Going to be interesting to see if that comes off.

I honestly can't see them paying Ben Hunt big money to play at hooker. Going to be interesting to see if that comes off.

Why wouldn't you though? He's been very good every time he's played there and if it doesn't work week in, week out, you can put him back into the halves and Milford or Munster to fullback.

A good night!

Why wouldn't you though? He's been very good every time he's played there and if it doesn't work week in, week out, you can put him back into the halves and Milford or Munster to fullback.
I just don't see them signing a bloke who will be 33 by the time he plays for them and hasn't been a full time hooker on good coin in a key position.

I just don't see them signing a bloke who will be 33 by the time he plays for them and hasn't been a full time hooker on good coin in a key position.

He'll be subsidised or on far less than what he is on now though and you only need him a season or two while you get someone else trained up / becomes available.

He'll be subsidised or on far less than what he is on now though and you only need him a season or two while you get someone else trained up / becomes available.
There are plenty of hooker options available imo. Koroisau, Mahoney, Brailey, Smith, Cotter are the five off contract for 2023 i'd be looking at. Apart from them, depending on who else they recruit, they could look at Berrell, Lawnton or Starling.

I think Hunt would be a great 7 there tbh. I know he was much maligned here at times, but in this stage of the Phins development i think they could do a lot worse than Benny at 7.

There are plenty of hooker options available imo. Koroisau, Mahoney, Brailey, Smith, Cotter are the five off contract for 2023 i'd be looking at. Apart from them, depending on who else they recruit, they could look at Berrell, Lawnton or Starling.

I think Hunt would be a great 7 there tbh. I know he was much maligned here at times, but in this stage of the Phins development i think they could do a lot worse than Benny at 7.

Either way he’d be a great signing for them, could even be inaugural captain.

Imagine if they could land this:

1. Ponga
6. Munster
7. Hunt
9. Berrell

I’m hoping we can get Api.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.