Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't underestimate his efforts, I just think when you start asking for 500k or more, you need to provide something more than being a solid first grader.

500k would be the most I would hope they are willing to pay him.

people are talking like 500k is still elite money ... it's not under the current cap.

500k is for quality first graders, 750k+ is now the elite money

They're running a football team, not a Dolly magazine.
How Dare You Greta GIF

people are talking like 500k is still elite money ... it's not under the current cap.

That's true but our cap is a mess because we've been paying underperforming players too much money, we need a few bargain buys to get out of it

Define Quality first grader? I view Carrigan as a prospect that is not a quality first grader week in week out yet. 350K. Piakura is overpaid too at this stage.

In saying that individual salaries may not be as important as total salaries for parts of the team. We may have a bargain salary prop that facilitates paying Carrigan a bit more and potentially keep a younger player from being poached. Hard to know but in isolation I think 500K for Carrigan is overs.

Would not pick Fifita to start over Capewell. In fact he’d be lucky to be picked at all.

Who do you think Capewell is competing with to be “lucky to make the bench”?
If im picking a QLD side heres what im picking as my pack if all fit which they never are

8. Welsh
9. Grant
10. Papali
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Tino

14. Hunt
15. Arrow
16. Collins
17. Fotuaika

Don't get me wrong I love Capewell as a player and a competitor, I'm actually stoked he is at the club but that's QLDs best pack. You could make a strong argument to put him in the bench over Collins or Fotuaika with Arrow playing front row but that's about it. The second row for the time being picks itself.

Define Quality first grader? I view Carrigan as a prospect that is not a quality first grader week in week out yet. 350K. Piakura is overpaid too at this stage.

Our hand was forced with Piakura, losing another promising player like we did Reece Walsh wasn't going to be good for the club, I can understand why they did. Time will tell, he could be a cheap buy yet, we won't know until he gets some regular game time.

Fifita can’t even make the starting 13 at the Titans let alone QLD.

And sure, Capewell certainly isn’t as damaging as a prime Fifita, but he’s a far more complete footballer and infinitely smarter as well.

I’ll take the bloke who does all the dirty 1 percenters over the bloke who likes to chill in the centres and only take a carry when the halfback is isolated in defence.

And none of the above takes into account the massive disparity in their pay packets.
Don't kid yourself, Fifita is a walk up start to the forward pack. If he still has the broncos colours on, we are rating him as the best second rower in the world right now. Pay packets are irrelevant when picking an origin side as there is no salary cap.

That's true but our cap is a mess because we've been paying underperforming players too much money, we need a few bargain buys to get out of it

we're pretty much out of it now ... and Carrigan is hardly one of those under performing players.

if we don't pay the 500k, someone else will and we'll end up having to play against him.

in 2020 he averaged

156m per game
67 PCM per game
46 tackles per game (6th in NRL)

Our hand was forced with Piakura, losing another promising player like we did Reece Walsh wasn't going to be good for the club, I can understand why they did. Time will tell, he could be a cheap buy yet, we won't know until he gets some regular game time.
Fair point. Can't argue that. There was a PR issue there.

I am probably just of the view that its worse to pay a player overs to stay than to let go a player you want to keep.

we're pretty much out of it now ... and Carrigan is hardly one of those under performing players.

if we don't pay the 500k, someone else will and we'll end up having to play against him.

in 2020 he averaged

156m per game
67 PCM per game
46 tackles per game (6th in NRL)
Yeah they are good building block stats for a player his age. Seems from what I saw thst he still has a dumb play and there is a gap between his best and worst to be quality first grader.

If im picking a QLD side heres what im picking as my pack if all fit which they never are

8. Welsh
9. Grant
10. Papali
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Tino

14. Hunt
15. Arrow
16. Collins
17. Fotuaika

Don't get me wrong I love Capewell as a player and a competitor, I'm actually stoked he is at the club but that's QLDs best pack. You could make a strong argument to put him in the bench over Collins or Fotuaika with Arrow playing front row but that's about it. The second row for the time being picks itself.
I can't remember Kaufusi ever being good for QLD. Most of the time I remember thinking "how does he keep on getting picked?" The rest of the pack I probably agree with for now.

Yeah they are good building block stats for a player his age. Seems from what I saw thst he still has a dumb play and there is a gap between his best and worst to be quality first grader.

are you serious, building blocks?

if it wasn't for a freak of an athlete in Payne Haas, Carrigan would be out best prop by a country mile .... yet you want to pay him like a fringe first grader.

i tell you what, with your retention strategy, you would be a good fit with the Eels current R&R team

L
are you serious, building blocks?

if it wasn't for a freak of an athlete in Payne Haas, Carrigan would be out best prop by a country mile .... yet you want to pay him like a fringe first grader.

i tell you what, with your retention strategy, you would be a good fit with the Eels current R&R team
I don't think that those stats tell the whole story of where he is at. But they are impressive in those categories of statistics.

In 2021 Patty was

8 games - 6 offloads, 6 tackle breaks, 117 metres per game, 33 tackles per game​

Admittedly a smaller sample size and I think stats are often too relied upon without context when being used positively or negatively. I think his discipline and at times his reading of defence are the big areas to work on

I also think they Parra did the right thing letting go Niukore and Papalii go for the money they were offered. They are better to pay more to Reed Mahoney.

L

I don't think that those stats tell the whole story of where he is at. But they are impressive in those categories of statistics.

I also think they Parra did the right thing letting go Niukore and Papalii go for the money they were offered. They are better to pay more to Reed Mahoney.

they don't plan to do that either. they're reportedly sticking to the 450k offer for Mahoney. 1 or 2 more defections might change their minds (if Mahoney isn't one of the defections)

Why do people expect Carrigan to play like DFifita? I couldn’t give a **** whether he breaks the line on a run or not. That’s not his role at all. His runs are actually quite effective. He makes good PCMs, usually finds his front and gets a quick PTB. Not sure what else you’d want.
still not worth $500k that's overs for him and a fan , we need to re-balance our Cap and keep the cash for our spine.

quality first graders yes but calling him that is premature. he hasn't even played a full season of first grade yet.

L

Parra have a really badly balanced cap. Niukore they probably did the right thing with, but not paying 600k for papalii is a mistake. When you look they have about 1 million a year tied up on Opacic and Blake you see they haven't got things quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • IceWorks
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.