Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Is a vote of no confidence on the cards 🤔🤔

This is becoming completely unacceptable from a governing body
I dont think there is provision for that. Just a stalemate and previous agreement expired Nov 1. I dont think MOA will carry them through unless all 16 clubs sign off alongside NRLPA and ARLC.

NRL buckled and has given a solid cap increase.

Top 30 now 11.45m v 9.6m
Min wage 120k.
Development contracted players in total now 650k v 250k.
Womens comp has almost tripled in cap to 880k v 350k.

Gives about an effective 1.5m extra in the cap for players 1-25 (assuming 4-5 min value players making up the 30). Pro rata could mean some teams have up to 2m to spend for 23 season.

I really dont understand this signing, centre is one position we have plenty of coverage for:
-herbie
-staggs
-cobbo
-arthars
-Mariner
-quai-ward
Outside backs get injured the most .
They are running faster and at more angles . Impacts are greater and come from different angles to middle players .

So you need back ups and up and comers to replace the back ups eventually .

Herbie , Kptoni 1st string .
Cobbo , Arthars 2nd string
Quai Ward , Mariner ,up and coming .

You are over looking Hoeter and Niu who have both also played centre .

Outside backs get injured the most .
They are running faster and at more angles . Impacts are greater and come from different angles to middle players .

So you need back ups and up and comers to replace the back ups eventually .

Herbie , Kptoni 1st string .
Cobbo , Arthars 2nd string
Quai Ward , Mariner ,up and coming .

You are over looking Hoeter and Niu who have both also played centre .

Hoeter and Niu would be state cup standard in the centres.

For Tesi, if he wants an NRL spot he needs to work on his fitness I would suggest, fullback is a physically taxing role and I think he was found wanting last season with a few non-efforts. In attack, he looks as good as anyone but it's not the NFL, you can't sub him on when we have the ball.

Hoeter and Niu would be state cup standard in the centres.

For Tesi, if he wants an NRL spot he needs to work on his fitness I would suggest, fullback is a physically taxing role and I think he was found wanting last season with a few non-efforts. In attack, he looks as good as anyone but it's not the NFL, you can't sub him on when we have the ball.

He tore both his hammies remember ?
Pretty hard to build running fitness if you can`t run ...

Tesi and Delouise have both played centre in 1st grade

An old saying ; fatigue can make cowards out of brave men .

Loathe to start any more unsubstantiated rumours here, but it looks like Herbie had a job interview (with Manchester United):

anyone got any updates with whats going on with Karl Oloapu?
I think you can safely ignore anything written in the press (the Mole) during those two days and take Simon Scanlan's word on the NRL & RLPA backing the club:

I expect we'll see a flurry of catchup stories when Badel gets back to work. This, where the **** is Stephen Kearney and who's talking to Tesi should be near the top of that pile.

Formally scraping the bottom of the rumour barrel here, but this "bold prediction" appeared on Foxsports dated yesterday (maybe it's recycled, I don't know). Byline is "Fox League from Fox Sports" so no one is even willing to put their name to it:

Kalyn Ponga makes permanent switch to halves
This looked inevitable after Mitchell Pearce abruptly left the club last summer but the Knights kept Ponga at fullback in 2022. That will change now star halfback Jackson Hastings has joined the club, with Ponga set to partner him at five-eighth.​
This does hinge however on Newcastle signing either Tesi Niu from the Broncos or Lachie Miller from the Sharks to be their fullback.​

Hold the presses: looks like Tesi might join the Dolphins, after all.

Travis Meyn:

"The Dolphins are on the verge of snaring Broncos flyer Tesi Niu. Niu is expected to be formally released by the Broncos in the coming week to ink a multi-year contract with the Dolphins. While Niu’s move is yet to be finalised due to a change of management, salary cap delays and the Christmas break, his shift is a fait accompli barring any last-minute hiccups."​

The Dolphins CEO Terry Reader:

"We’ve still got some space on the cap left and spots to fill before March. There are still some thrills and spills to come in the player market. People have been waiting to see what happens with the salary cap and that’s sort of complete now. Tesi was given permission to talk to other clubs so we’ll see what happens. We’ve still got spots to fill and there’s quality players out there. There’s a lot of time before we run out on that field in March and plenty to happen in the player market. History says January is the biggest month for player movement and I’m sure this year will be no different.”​

Hold the presses: looks like Tesi might join the Dolphins, after all.

Travis Meyn:

"The Dolphins are on the verge of snaring Broncos flyer Tesi Niu. Niu is expected to be formally released by the Broncos in the coming week to ink a multi-year contract with the Dolphins. While Niu’s move is yet to be finalised due to a change of management, salary cap delays and the Christmas break, his shift is a fait accompli barring any last-minute hiccups."​

The Dolphins CEO Terry Reader:

"We’ve still got some space on the cap left and spots to fill before March. There are still some thrills and spills to come in the player market. People have been waiting to see what happens with the salary cap and that’s sort of complete now. Tesi was given permission to talk to other clubs so we’ll see what happens. We’ve still got spots to fill and there’s quality players out there. There’s a lot of time before we run out on that field in March and plenty to happen in the player market. History says January is the biggest month for player movement and I’m sure this year will be no different.”​
shocked fox tv GIF by Last Man Standing

Uncle Wayne looking to get two guaranteed wins each year by recruiting more former broncos who will play absolute blinders every time they play us.

Team looks average on paper, but may as well be the Harlem Globetrotters when we play them

Active Now

• Strop
  • Johnny92
  • Volvo Driver
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncs30
  • The Don
  • Broncorob
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Lurker
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.