Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

idk what i got from it was he was stepping down to focus on other parts of the org and was happy to pass on his RR suggestions to simon scanlan.
wish i could thumbs up the two ppl above me have some boobs

kate upton bikini GIF

News LTD (edited):

Ben Ikin has resigned from Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee. Latest annual report shows his job title has changed from head of football last year to head of football operations. In Brisbane’s chain of command, Ikin reports to Walters, who reports to Donaghy. It is believed Ikin is happy to relay retention and recruitment ideas to Scanlan, with whom he works closely on Brisbane’s elite pathways program.​

Karl Morris:
“Our recruitment and retention people have regular discussions about our roster and our players being attractive to other teams. You have these wonderful players coming through and unfortunately, there is a salary cap and we have to act in our best interests in making sure the salary cap is well utilised for the years ahead. Losing guys is part of the cycle of the NRL.”​
Scott Sattler:
“I am totally surprised that Ben Ikin would not be on the club’s recruitment-and-retention committee. Especially someone who has played Origin and Test football and has won at the highest levels of the competition. Ben might be executing some things quietly because he’s not a guy who craves attention. He is happy to slide along in the shadows and get the job done. The great thing about Ben is he is selfless and would no doubt put the Broncos first to ensure ‘Kevvie’ gets all the support he needs. But the head of football has to be involved in the club’s roster and succession planning.​
“When I was football manager at the Titans, I worked closely with Carty as coach and Michael Searle to build our roster. As the head of football, he should have input into recruitment and an understanding of the club’s salary cap position. There’s a lot of moving pieces and Ben should have a direct say in who the club signs and whether they fit the Broncos’ standards. Ben Ikin should have his fingerprints all over the Broncos’ roster and their succession planning.”​

News LTD (edited):

Ben Ikin has resigned from Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee. Latest annual report shows his job title has changed from head of football last year to head of football operations. In Brisbane’s chain of command, Ikin reports to Walters, who reports to Donaghy. It is believed Ikin is happy to relay retention and recruitment ideas to Scanlan, with whom he works closely on Brisbane’s elite pathways program.​

Karl Morris:
“Our recruitment and retention people have regular discussions about our roster and our players being attractive to other teams. You have these wonderful players coming through and unfortunately, there is a salary cap and we have to act in our best interests in making sure the salary cap is well utilised for the years ahead. Losing guys is part of the cycle of the NRL.”​
Scott Sattler:
“I am totally surprised that Ben Ikin would not be on the club’s recruitment-and-retention committee. Especially someone who has played Origin and Test football and has won at the highest levels of the competition. Ben might be executing some things quietly because he’s not a guy who craves attention. He is happy to slide along in the shadows and get the job done. The great thing about Ben is he is selfless and would no doubt put the Broncos first to ensure ‘Kevvie’ gets all the support he needs. But the head of football has to be involved in the club’s roster and succession planning.​
“When I was football manager at the Titans, I worked closely with Carty as coach and Michael Searle to build our roster. As the head of football, he should have input into recruitment and an understanding of the club’s salary cap position. There’s a lot of moving pieces and Ben should have a direct say in who the club signs and whether they fit the Broncos’ standards. Ben Ikin should have his fingerprints all over the Broncos’ roster and their succession planning.”​
Something is strange with the Ikin / Walters situation and unfortunately I lay the blame with Dave.

Wonder if Ikin wanted to sign someone but the club didn't listen to him that's why he's resigned from that position

Wonder if Ikin wanted to sign someone but the club didn't listen to him that's why he's resigned from that position
Or didn't want to extend someone - whose name we dare not utter.

I still want ikin involved with the club ...

Buy I'm not the biggest fan of R&R committees.

I believe the coaches (on particular the head coach) should have 100% say on who they retain and who they try to recruit ... because they ultimately live or die by those decisions.

Going after Fifita makes more sense now, it never felt like a move Ikin would have been making. I have said it before, I don’t think the role has lived up to his expectations as far as his authority to make roster decisions. Looks like Kevvie has won out somewhat in their power struggle. I think donuts could have done better from the outset in making a clear delineation of their roles.

idk what i got from it was he was stepping down to focus on other parts of the org and was happy to pass on his RR suggestions to simon scanlan.
wish i could thumbs up the two ppl above me have some boobs

kate upton bikini GIF
Turn off adblock then you can react.

Going after Fifita makes more sense now, it never felt like a move Ikin would have been making. I have said it before, I don’t think the role has lived up to his expectations as far as his authority to make roster decisions. Looks like Kevvie has won out somewhat in their power struggle. I think donuts could have done better from the outset in making a clear delineation of their roles.
Maybe Ben stepping away as he has, needed to happen, so if, and when Walters falls .. Ben will not, and can not be held responsible.

After I read this bit last year coming from Walters ..

In September, Walters confirmed he would work to improve lines of communication with Ikin, saying: “Can things be better with him? Yes, everything in the club can be better.

“I don’t have a major issue with him. I need to be better myself and Ben needs to be better.”

.. I thought it was really rude, and out of line for him to speak for Ben. He should have stuck to speaking for himself. So yeah, very much feel for Ben .. but for now, it's probably best for him to be free and clear of any blowback.

Maybe Ben stepping away as he has needed to happen so if and when Walters falls .. Ben will not, and can not be held responsible.

In September, Walters confirmed he would work to improve lines of communication with Ikin, saying: “Can things be better with him? Yes, everything in the club can be better.

“I don’t have a major issue with him. I need to be better myself and Ben needs to be better.”

.. I thought it was really rude, and out of line for him to speak for Ben. He should have stuck to speaking for himself. So yeah, very much feel for Ben .. but for now, it's probably best for him to be free and clear of any blowback.

Probably heard that the other clowns aren’t prioritising Patty and wanted nothing to do with it lol

Probably heard that the other clowns aren’t prioritising Patty and wanted nothing to do with it lol
Gonna be so pissed off if we became so dumb that we actually lose Patty & Ben but keep Walters.

Hit The Floor No GIF by The Maury Show

If there’s one thing I’m disappointed in Dave since he came here, it’s exactly the point that he didn’t draw the line in sand as to who does what from the get go.

I wonder why Kev’s so offended if Ikin is head of football operations dealing with roaster movements. Sure, the coach should have a say who he wants but he can let Ikin do the work for him. Everyone knows Ikins the exact man every club dream of having as in charge of football operations at their club. Inspite of us having him, he wasn’t given the opportunity to do what he’s best at. It’s a pity.

I hope Kev has put this all behind & is solely concentrating on “coaching”.

In all this, Ikin has been the true professional. He didn’t badmouthed or talk out of line after facing all this. He’s a true professional.

Maybe Ben stepping away as he has, needed to happen, so if, and when Walters falls .. Ben will not, and can not be held responsible.

Yeah, could’ve been said more diplomatically than that, but Ikin has never done the role before so maybe he did need to be better? I think we all probably just assume Ikin has done a good job, but there’s been quite a few spot fires around retention over the last few months, ie. haas, Karl, Mariner etc that collectively may suggest some problems?

Active Now

• blacknwhite
  • ivanhungryjak
  • sooticus
  • Horseheadsup
  • Broncorob
  • rnabokov
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.