Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Walsh could probably move to 7 when he slows up a bit. He'd still be fastest 7. Has all the tools in the bag to do it, would probably be elite.

That's 7-8 years away.
Walsh currently has no tools to be a 7. He would be a 6, and would need a steady organising 7 with a good kicking game next to him.

Walsh currently has no tools to be a 7. He would be a 6, and would need a steady organising 7 with a good kicking game next to him.
If you look at the post you were replying to, he said that would be 7-8 years time. No one is calling for Walsh at 7 now

And he isn't exactly lacking in the tools department , he can kick, not at the level of Reynolds but he has a very sharp short kicking game and he's got a very long boot. He also can pass. All he would need is maturity and a lot more experience.

Personally I don't think he'd be best used at 7, but things may change

I said before that I think he could be a great 5/8 and Cobbo a good 1. If we really needed.

Walsh has played 1 game of NRL as a 5/8 (in a headgear funnily enough) and held his own quite well. Was very erratic but he was also 18 and like 3 games into his NRL career.

He has far improved on his rookie season and in a year or 2, once Reynolds retires, he could definitely do a decent job at 5/8. It just depends on what we would lose at fulllback with Cobbo.

If you look at the post you were replying to, he said that would be 7-8 years time. No one is calling for Walsh at 7 now

And he isn't exactly lacking in the tools department , he can kick, not at the level of Reynolds but he has a very sharp short kicking game and he's got a very long boot. He also can pass. All he would need is maturity and a lot more experience.

Personally I don't think he'd be best used at 7, but things may change
The post I quoted literally said word for word "Has all the tools in the bag to do it, would probably be elite"

I commented on his current skills. He may eventually become a 6, not a 7.

I think because how good Walsh is as a Fullback it's a bit crazy to transition him to the halves atleast while he has the speed he has and he is very young and will still be very young when Reyno retires, I do see alot of Locky in him as in he has alot of creative ability that will work in the halves, I think his short kicking game is very good at his age even if he was playing 7, but the bigger kicks are still very raw, but his ability to manage a game are miles away from being capable as a 7 right now, he does have that extroverted personality that will work as a 7, but from what I see that is late career at best move at this stage because he will need to develop leadership and game management intelligence to make it all work together as a skillset.

He is definitely a more Halves capable fullback then the vast majority of examples we have seen since Locky started the trend for others to try do similar though, even though let's remember Lockyer was a Half converted to fullback, Reece originally isn't that but has alot of the skills you need as a Half.

Post Reyno from what I see we are going to have to look for another established 7 at this point, if we try develop a young half we are going to struggle, this is why I think we need to milk every ounce of years left in him while we can, remember we have a young as **** 6 at the moment as well that will take a few years to hit his stride in the position too.

I think because how good Walsh is as a Fullback it's a bit crazy to transition him to the halves atleast while he has the speed he has and he is very young and will still be very young when Reyno retires, I do see alot of Locky in him as in he has alot of creative ability that will work in the halves, I think his short kicking game is very good at his age even if he was playing 7, but the bigger kicks are still very raw, but his ability to manage a game are miles away from being capable as a 7 right now, he does have that extroverted personality that will work as a 7, but from what I see that is late career at best move at this stage because he will need to develop leadership and game management intelligence to make it all work together as a skillset.

He is definitely a more Halves capable fullback then the vast majority of examples we have seen since Locky started the trend for others to try do similar though, even though let's remember Lockyer was a Half converted to fullback, Reece originally isn't that but has alot of the skills you need as a Half.

Post Reyno from what I see we are going to have to look for another established 7 at this point, if we try develop a young half we are going to struggle, this is why I think we need to milk every ounce of years left in him while we can, remember we have a young as **** 6 at the moment as well that will take a few years to hit his stride in the position too.
To be honest I haven't given up on ezra mam being an organising halfback. He's only super young and already performing above the likes of dearden at his age.

Going to be called insane but I see a bit of Thurston in Walsh. His passing needs a bit of work but he's already got a good kicking game and his will to win I think is on par with Thurston's. He already lifts the side similar to how thurston would. Thurston never looked like a 7 until late on in his career.

Not saying Walsh will go the same way, but I can see some parallels.

We're far better off leaving Walsh at Fullback for as long as his body will allow him too which should be the next 10+ years. Having him at the back is going to prelong his career not defending in the front line, he's not massive body and has always been a fullback.
He can do everything a half does from the 1 position he will just need a 7 to play a supporting role to get the team in positions for Walsh to utilise. Mozer could possibly do this from 9 in future years and Mam is only going to grow in confidence.

Going to be called insane but I see a bit of Thurston in Walsh. His passing needs a bit of work but he's already got a good kicking game and his will to win I think is on par with Thurston's. He already lifts the side similar to how thurston would. Thurston never looked like a 7 until late on in his career.

Not saying Walsh will go the same way, but I can see some parallels.

I see so much JT in Mam. He’s just everywhere both sides of the ball.

Walsh could probably move to 7 when he slows up a bit. He'd still be fastest 7. Has all the tools in the bag to do it, would probably be elite.

That's 7-8 years away.

Walsh needs a few years 1:1 tuition from 1910 to prove himself

Why move Walsh when he's a terrific representative fullback. Move Walsh to the halves and we're only weakening one position to strengthen another. Walsh is like our young Slater and having a top class fullback is just as important as a halves position.
Darren Lockyer says hi.

You also need to remember that they had Karmichael Hunt coming through the grades when they transitioned Lockyer. Hunt was seen, and arguably would have been one of the all time great fullbacks.

We have Cobbo to go to FB if Walsh goes to 6 .
Not comparing them to Hunt and Lockyer just yet but we have options.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Jedhead
  • broncoscope
  • Alec
  • bb_gun
  • Porthoz
  • Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • Horseheadsup
  • achievedrap
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • I bleed Maroon
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • Old Mate
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.