Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I think its shocking the offer they have put to a good servant. He isnt looking for a big payday. He is prepared to take a hit to help keep others ( pity we dont have more willing to do that ) but he's not going to drop as much as they want him to. Its pretty poor of the Broncos to do it to him imo.

I think its shocking the offer they have put to a good servant. He isnt looking for a big payday. He is prepared to take a hit to help keep others ( pity we dont have more willing to do that ) but he's not going to drop as much as they want him to. Its pretty poor of the Broncos to do it to him imo.
What’s the offer?

$250k vs current $450k (which is inflated for ratchet) IIRC?

It's a $200k drop, but they are still negotiating
I don’t see the issue with it. I love Oatesy but he is a winger over 30 that unfortunately has lost pretty much all his speed.

As much as it is an almost half-the-value drop, if Corey had been banking on these final years as his cashed-up contract years, he's been receiving poor advice.

Oates is probably still my favourite player in the squad, he's just such a big lovable boofhead, but even though I rate him as our best left-side winger (and consider him Origin standard still), the drop down to the next best players isn't that much. You could argue he's surplus to requirements moving forward, considering the other players we have, and it's only his standing within the club that has earned him the opportunity to extend (player options notwithstanding).

I'll await DD taking Oates aside and giving him his due respect, while also reminding him of what the team is building towards. Oates is one that (for the most part) can hold himself high, one of the few who have tanked out, and toughed their way through it to come back to excellent form (as opposed to countless others who have just faded away to obscurity), so if anything he mirrors and helped drive the resurgence from the highs of 2015, the lows following, and back up to where they are now. That in itself will hold him in good stead for his post-playing career, and will be more valuable than a quick payday for another club.

As much as it is an almost half-the-value drop, if Corey had been banking on these final years as his cashed-up contract years, he's been receiving poor advice.

Oates is probably still my favourite player in the squad, he's just such a big lovable boofhead, but even though I rate him as our best left-side winger (and consider him Origin standard still), the drop down to the next best players isn't that much. You could argue he's surplus to requirements moving forward, considering the other players we have, and it's only his standing within the club that has earned him the opportunity to extend (player options notwithstanding).

I'll await DD taking Oates aside and giving him his due respect, while also reminding him of what the team is building towards. Oates is one that (for the most part) can hold himself high, one of the few who have tanked out, and toughed their way through it to come back to excellent form (as opposed to countless others who have just faded away to obscurity), so if anything he mirrors and helped drive the resurgence from the highs of 2015, the lows following, and back up to where they are now. That in itself will hold him in good stead for his post-playing career, and will be more valuable than a quick payday for another club.

Thats the thing though with him, he's not chasing a big payday. He's made the offer to take a bit less so it can be used elsewhere. With all these off contract players we have had, we have only really had him and Patty who have been willing to take a hit on what they could earn for the good of the team.

I dont think it will be Wayne Bennett levels of players being annoyed on how somebody popular gets treated, but there are going to a lot of disgruntled players around if he doesnt get that respect back from the club, and he's not getting it right now. They all know the score, you cant keep everyone, but lowballing can have a very negative effect.

Has one good season last year then thinks they need to over pay him for the next 4
Clubs not that dumb anymore, he switched off completely for the 2 years prior to that

Thats the thing though with him, he's not chasing a big payday. He's made the offer to take a bit less so it can be used elsewhere. With all these off contract players we have had, we have only really had him and Patty who have been willing to take a hit on what they could earn for the good of the team.

I dont think it will be Wayne Bennett levels of players being annoyed on how somebody popular gets treated, but there are going to a lot of disgruntled players around if he doesnt get that respect back from the club, and he's not getting it right now. They all know the score, you cant keep everyone, but lowballing can have a very negative effect.

I'm aware you know **some** of the players to a certain extent, so I'm not going to badger you on how you can possibly know these things. But is the perceived disrespect coming first-hand, or it more of a "this could potentially...." but in reality Oates may be disappointed but understanding and on-board?

I'd guess the captain being one of them, him and Oatesy are pretty tight and Reynos on record saying Oates was our best player last season.

I'm aware you know **some** of the players to a certain extent, so I'm not going to badger you on how you can possibly know these things. But is the perceived disrespect coming first-hand, or it more of a "this could potentially...." but in reality Oates may be disappointed but understanding and on-board?

I only know one player still at the Broncos these days.

All i can really say is that at the moment, its not a potentially thing as it stands. I'm not sure how far apart they are tbh. Oatsey knows the situation, which is why he's willing to take less on his salary to both stay at the club and help to try to either keep the squad together or give some of the younger guys a bit of a pay boost.

What he is willing to give in the scheme of things would probably only help one of the younger players, he's not earning huge money now and i think a $100k a year hit would sit well with him. What he's doing though is probably what the squad needs to do across the board like they used to if they want to keep the squad together. Different game these days i guess. Rightly or wrongly, its all about the money and in a lot of ways you cant fault people for wanting to earn as much as they can.

Absolutely. They have no left winger and Oatesy is available. I hope he is a Bronco for life but he would be incredibly appealing for The. Given Herbie is going to be there as well, you have the Broncs very potent left wing-centre combo to just plug and play.
Bostock played right wing on debut on the week end .
Went alright too .

Seriously though, 250k + long service allowance split still probably equals 325 / 350k. It isn't insulting at all compared to 450.

Seriously though, 250k + long service allowance split still probably equals 325 / 350k. It isn't insulting at all compared to 450.

You need to remember his option he waived wasnt for $450k, thats this years salary, it was less, and he made an offer to take less than the deal he had for 2024. He was never looking at that amount for the 2024 and 2025, the year of his second option. The $250k is what he would be getting with everything on the table. Thats absolutley an insult to him. We cheaped out on Petero years ago and i think its pathetic if we do the same for Oatsey.

You`re right I don`t know left from right . :facepalmwastaken:
Isaako plays right .

Tesi played centre on the week end . Bostock outside him .

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • scobie
  • Dreaglor
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.