Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
You need to remember his option he waived wasnt for $450k, thats this years salary, it was less, and he made an offer to take less than the deal he had for 2024. He was never looking at that amount for the 2024 and 2025, the year of his second option. The $250k is what he would be getting with everything on the table. Thats absolutley an insult to him. We cheaped out on Petero years ago and i think its pathetic if we do the same for Oatsey.

I guess the other side of things is that it's rewarding the greedy. There are players that love the club, and would maybe stay for a little less, but their managers would play hardball behind the scenes and squeeze every last cent. And then when a player genuinely agrees to take a bit less, the club offers a LOT less to offset the others. It basically says, you'll get screwed if you don't ask for the big coin.

In an ideal world you'd like to think there were a player or two, maybe the ones coming through, who say "Yes I'm young and talented are are keen for the big show, but this success was brought about by no-nonsense toilets like Oates, and I can sacrifice a small amount to make sure he gets to stay".

Maybe this is already the DD ploy. Lowball him, make everyone in the squad realise that pushing for every cent results in the legends getting shafted (ie, there is a cap, it's not the club's fault all the players want as big a piece as possible), and they all see the value in accepting a fair but not max contract in order to stay together.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Ummm...

I guess the other side of things is that it's rewarding the greedy. There are players that love the club, and would maybe stay for a little less, but their managers would play hardball behind the scenes and squeeze every last cent. And then when a player genuinely agrees to take a bit less, the club offers a LOT less to offset the others. It basically says, you'll get screwed if you don't ask for the big coin.

In an ideal world you'd like to think there were a player or two, maybe the ones coming through, who say "Yes I'm young and talented are are keen for the big show, but this success was brought about by no-nonsense toilets like Oates, and I can sacrifice a small amount to make sure he gets to stay".

Maybe this is already the DD ploy. Lowball him, make everyone in the squad realise that pushing for every cent results in the legends getting shafted (ie, there is a cap, it's not the club's fault all the players want as big a piece as possible), and they all see the value in accepting a fair but not max contract in order to stay together.

You might think he's a shitty player, Morks, but you're doing him dirty here...wipe that grin off your face!

Lazza

Lazza

BRL Player
Aug 1, 2021
As Oats has a PO for the next 2 years wouldn't there be pre agreed salary tied to it? Does anyone know how it works?
He could have been in the origin team if wasn't injured.

Mighty Bronx

Mighty Bronx

Jul 14, 2018
Look at the way the current management has gone about things, no one knew Payne was re-signing, in fact many of us thought the opposite. No one knew Mariner was extending, no one knew Arthars was extending and no one knew Patty was extending until it was announced. I find it hard to believe everyone knows what Oates is being offered suddenly and that it is insulting. This is not the way Donuts operates. If anything, I imagine someone said to him, hey mate we've got a few things to work through here, give us some time please so we can make sure we sort this out as best we can but there may be less than you were getting. That said, if you are willing to give us time to sort it out, we'll get the best deal possible.
While I agree with everything you said, the only concerning part is that Oatsey has apparently toured knights facility instead of waiting for our new offer. In saying that I trust DD choosing the right players who are worth big bucks and not getting pushed by the players who can be replaced.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I love Oates, and he does bring qualities that our other wingers don't, but he's also unfortunately been shown to be very replaceable this year. I want him to stay, but I also trust the current management to do what is best for the club.

If Oates goes, and the players are disgruntled - what does that look like, anyway? They all peace out for a year and pick up the spoon? They all try to break contract and leave? Is it really going to be that severe of a storm?

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I love Oates, and he does bring qualities that our other wingers don't, but he's also unfortunately been shown to be very replaceable this year. I want him to stay, but I also trust the current management to do what is best for the club.

If Oates goes, and the players are disgruntled - what does that look like, anyway? They all peace out for a year and pick up the spoon? They all try to break contract and leave? Is it really going to be that severe of a storm?
Another avenue to look at, come 2029 and we are trying to keep a Walsh/Mam etc and we promise to look after them as a club great, they think back about the time the club just fucked off a bloke who had been a good servant to the club, like Petero before him.

People complain players show no loyalty and are all about the cash, then at the same time back clubs do in these situations. Can't have it both ways.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Another avenue to look at, come 2029 and we are trying to keep a Walsh/Mam etc and we promise to look after them as a club great, they think back about the time the club just fucked off a bloke who had been a good servant to the club, like Petero before him.

People complain players show no loyalty and are all about the cash, then at the same time back clubs do in these situations. Can't have it both ways.

So they've stayed with us for another five seasons, but the sixth is where they draw the line over Corey being shuffled off? Probably won't even be the same management at that point.

You can't make a decision now that could more immediately affect keeping a Mam or Walsh or another player who is currently more valuable than Oates and/or has more upside, on the basis of a what-if situation a half a decade or more down the track. We might have Oates in 2025, sure, but the Roosters might have Mam. Although maybe he'll fondly remember how we treated Oatesy way back when, and come back to us in 2029...

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
I think Corey is just a victim of a situation, the extra $100k has probably gone to keep Payne, I think the reported offer of $1.1mil per year was the Broncos expected cost but to get his new contract across the line it magically went up to $1.2mil.

When you pay more to keep a specific player in comes out of the pockets of other players, unfortunately Corey has probably drawn the short straw.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

The Panthers let go of Josh Mansour in what is very similar circumstances. Popular player, club legend, loyal servant, turfed him. Melbourne do it as well all the time. I'm not really taking a stance either way with Oates, I think he's entirely replaceable but I also love the guy, it's up to Kev and the DD to decide how they strike that balance.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

We haven't "fucked him off" we have offered him contract more appropriate for his age, abilities and position in the team. I love Corey but right now he is a winger and not the best option for that position and just paying an extra 100k for blokes like that is what gets you into salary cap trouble. What happens when the next guy needs just an extra 100k and the next guy? You do that and you won't have to worry about what Mam or Walsh think in 6 years time because you don't have the money to keep them now.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Newcastle is a top notch city. The club and its tan base would absolutely embrace Oates and he would be well loved. Lach Fitz currently has a gig on local Triple M. He’s heading to England next year and I could easily see Oates taking that role and added $. Something he can also do in Brisbane.
Hopefully we get the deal done. He should be a one club player and see out his career with a premiership.
Unfortunately or fortunately the talent we having coming through is so good and we need to keep the core of them here.
We can’t keep them all and I also fully expect the dogs to go hard at getting at least one of our forwards; Riki, Piakura, Willison or Capes.
Gus loves an ex panther or bronco.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Offer Paix a release with no/minimal top up from the club. There’ll be a club that’ll pay decent coin for a hooker

Promote a development to top 30 and there’s your extra 100k at the least and Oatesy can stay

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Offer Paix a release with no/minimal top up from the club. There’ll be a club that’ll pay decent coin for a hooker

Promote a development to top 30 and there’s your extra 100k at the least and Oatesy can stay
If Turpin can get a gig, Paix definitely can lol

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
If Turpin can get a gig, Paix definitely can lol
Someone Reaction GIF

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
What did I miss? What happened to Huge?? Sorry for the wrong thread but havn't been on as much this year...
Not sure, just have not seen a post from him all year and I don't have him on block so thought he may have given the forum away. In saying that I haven't been on much this year, but knowing him he would never have left me off the hook for some of my recent grammatical tom foolery.

Unread

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Aldo
  • leon.bott
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • Mister Wright
  • Strop
  • eggstar10
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.