Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Not sure, just have not seen a post from him all year and I don't have him on block so thought he may have given the forum away. In saying that I haven't been on much this year, but knowing him he would never have left me off the hook for some of my recent grammatical tom foolery.
he only pops into general these days with his female bad thread. seems to given the broncos away mostly for conspiracy theories.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Newcastle is a top notch city.
Amen brother.

I Feel You Chris GIF by NETFLIX

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The Panthers let go of Josh Mansour in what is very similar circumstances. Popular player, club legend, loyal servant, turfed him. Melbourne do it as well all the time. I'm not really taking a stance either way with Oates, I think he's entirely replaceable but I also love the guy, it's up to Kev and the DD to decide how they strike that balance.

The thing imo if he goes its how he goes. You can release good servants, it's wether the group and the player feel it's done respectfully. Any lack of respect is when you get a few issues. Or you can do what South's did with Arey.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
The Panthers let go of Josh Mansour in what is very similar circumstances. Popular player, club legend, loyal servant, turfed him. Melbourne do it as well all the time. I'm not really taking a stance either way with Oates, I think he's entirely replaceable but I also love the guy, it's up to Kev and the DD to decide how they strike that balance.
Mansour was let go as he clearly wasnt going to be playing first grade. Completely different.
We haven't "fucked him off" we have offered him contract more appropriate for his age, abilities and position in the team. I love Corey but right now he is a winger and not the best option for that position and just paying an extra 100k for blokes like that is what gets you into salary cap trouble. What happens when the next guy needs just an extra 100k and the next guy? You do that and you won't have to worry about what Mam or Walsh think in 6 years time because you don't have the money to keep them now.
You've called Oates 30+ a few times. You clearly don't put any thoughts into your opinions, so I'll do the same when reading them.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Mansour was let go as he clearly wasnt going to be playing first grade. Completely different.

You've called Oates 30+ a few times. You clearly don't put any thoughts into your opinions, so I'll do the same when reading them.
Pretty sure it was once or twice until someone corrected me and I haven't said it again. Now excuse me while I go and cry because some internet random doesn't rate my opinion.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We haven't "fucked him off" we have offered him contract more appropriate for his age, abilities and position in the team. I love Corey but right now he is a winger and not the best option for that position and just paying an extra 100k for blokes like that is what gets you into salary cap trouble. What happens when the next guy needs just an extra 100k and the next guy? You do that and you won't have to worry about what Mam or Walsh think in 6 years time because you don't have the money to keep them now.

You literally talk about him like he is over the hill and on his last legs. He was playing Origin last year, he should have played all 3 games. He was arguably our best player last year, he's nowhere near over the hill. If he didnt get his jaw broken recklessly by Drinkwater he would have been in the team. I wouldnt be writing him off just because he's picked up a couple of injuries. If all our wingers are fit, he's still the best and most reliable winger at the club.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

Is it clear that Oates will continue to play first grade? It's most likely, yes, but with Arthars and Mariner proving able replacements this year, isn't there a chance that after preseason 2024 Oates is the odd man out of those three?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Is it clear that Oates will continue to play first grade? It's most likely, yes, but with Arthars and Mariner proving able replacements this year, isn't there a chance that after preseason 2024 Oates is the odd man out of those three?

He could well be, no doubt about it. I think Corey will thrive being written off.

The weird thing is though the club asked him to waive his 2024 option. He still has one for 2025. We could see a Kahu situation again.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Yeah it's pretty clear. He is a chance to continue playing rep footy. People have short memories.
Pretty sure it was once or twice until someone corrected me and I haven't said it again. Now excuse me while I go and cry because some internet random doesn't rate my opinion.
Well we are talking on the internet. I wouldn't rate your opinion in person either.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Oates coming straight back in this week, after both Arthars (8 tries from 16) and Mariner (5 tries from 6) played blinders in his absence speaks volumes about the regard in which he's held by the coach.

I'm not sure about this move, to be honest. Don't get me wrong I love Corey, but as you said, Arthars and Mariner have been playing amazing footy. I'm not certain Oates will be able to hit peak form before the deep end of the finals after all the injury troubles he has had.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I'm not sure about this move, to be honest. Don't get me wrong I love Corey, but as you said, Arthars and Mariner have been playing amazing footy. I'm not certain Oates will be able to hit peak form before the deep end of the finals after all the injury troubles he has had.
He came back in round 8 and ran for 224 metres and voted 4th best by BHQ, came back in round 14 and ran for 237 metres this time he came back from a injured knee and was voted as the second best on ground by BHQ.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He'll have to hit the high notes this weekend if he wants an extra serve of supper next year. The stage is his.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Robboi_321
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • leon.bott
  • The Boss
  • Dexter
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.