8. Willison
10. Jensen
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan (c)

15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura/Baker
17. Capewell

Like, even if we don't get a Mo Fo or someone else and depending on squad players we fill out with, this is still a very good forward pack / bench as we would be able to keep all these guys and Mam + Walsh which to me, is a decent outcome. Haas is a massive loss, absolutely, but this is still very good.

Yep fast forward another 18 months:

8. Willison
10. Jensen
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan (c)

15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura/Baker
17. Capewell

Like, even if we don't get a Mo Fo or someone else and depending on squad players we fill out with, this is still a very good forward pack / bench as we would be able to keep all these guys and Mam + Walsh which to me, is a decent outcome. Haas is a massive loss, absolutely, but this is still very good.
Could even get Keenan back, if he's not getting game time at the Titans and he signed under Holbrook not Des so see what happens with that. He comes at a nearly a quarter of Haas price.
Whenever Haas has been out Palasia has stepped in and stepped up in his place.

Yep fast forward another 18 months:

8. Willison
10. Jensen
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan (c)

15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura/Baker
17. Capewell

Correct. I also feel we have the capacity to survive the loss of 1 of either Staggs or Cobbo if we a really in a squeeze.

Patty (c)
Mozer
Mam
Walsh
Riki
Piakrua
Willison
Mariner

Surrounded by experienced guys that can do a job line Arthars, Jensen, Capewell, Palasia, Billy etc will be a competitive side for years. The biggest issue is finding the right halfback

Correct. I also feel we have the capacity to survive the loss of 1 of either Staggs or Cobbo if we a really in a squeeze.

Patty (c)
Mozer
Mam
Walsh
Riki
Piakrua
Willison
Mariner

Surrounded by experienced guys that can do a job line Arthars, Jensen, Capewell, Palasia, Billy etc will be a competitive side for years. The biggest issue is finding the right halfback

And to keep signing/bringing through depth. As we've seen this year (and we have had a better run than most also), having depth players who can step up and admirably fill injured boots is absolutely critical to premiership chances.

It’s inevitable that a basket case club like the dogs will throw a kamikaze contract (killing their chances of a comp for the foreseeable future while also hurting our chances badly by taking the player) at haas like the dragons did with Hunt or the tits did with Fifi. If this goes to November 1 we should just assume he’s gone.

It’s a joke if the storm get him. They have a poor pack but that’s what happens when you have 4 million+ locked up in the spine.

Edit: if we lose Haas and can’t get Tino on 900k to replace him then I’d be upgrading Walsh to 850k and extending him for another 3-4 years.

If this goes to November 1 we should just assume he’s gone.

Yep pretty much, he will already have offers from other clubs now he just cant accept or sign them yet, if he just tries to drag out re-signing to Nov 1 then it means he is going to sign with somebody else.

He will be trying to keep the Bronco offer as a backup in case the new club contract doesn't materialise.

That's why the Broncos need to put a date on acceptance and pull the offer prior to Nov 1.

Yep pretty much, he will already have offers from other clubs now he just cant accept or sign them yet, if he just tries to drag out re-signing to Nov 1 then it means he is going to sign with somebody else.

He will be trying to keep the Bronco offer as a backup in case the new club contract doesn't materialise.

That's why the Broncos need to put a date on acceptance and pull the offer prior to Nov 1.
The club knows he’s gone. The best thing the club can do is focus on the finals we have in front of us. I would not be surprised at all if the club already has a replacement sorted out. The business of when the player movements start will start after the finals.

If I was a betting man I would say it's the Roosters, they'll be aiming to replace JWH, who they have just re-signed for another year in May until the end of 2024.

I don't believe he will go to the Dogs, they are too far down the ladder to risk it......the Roosters have some premiership credibility.

If I was a betting man I would say it's the Roosters, they'll be aiming to replace JWH, who they have just re-signed for another year in May until the end of 2024.

I don't believe he will go to the Dogs, they are too far down the ladder to risk it......the Roosters have some premiership credibility.
Good thing Roosters have gone to crap this year then. Something for Payne to consider...

Corey Oates is facing a pay cut to save his career at Brisbane as salary cap pressures begin to put the bite on the Broncos’ biggest stars.
This masthead can reveal the Broncos have tabled a contract downgrade to former Queensland Origin winger Oates ahead of Brisbane’s clash against the Eels on Friday night at the Gabba.

It is understood the reduced offer has gone down like a lead balloon with Oates, who was left bitterly disappointed with a deal that represents a significant decrease on his current salary of around $450,000.

The Broncos are not trying to force Oates out and are hopeful he can finish his career with the club, but Brisbane’s stunning resurgence this year is putting increasing pressure on their salary cap.

The Broncos have 11 players who will be free agents from November 1, including superstar prop Payne Haas, skipper Adam Reynolds, vice-captain Kurt Capewell and rising stars Ezra Mam, Brendan Piakura and Jordan Riki.

Corey Oates is facing a pay cut to save his career at Brisbane as salary cap pressures begin to put the bite on the Broncos’ biggest stars.
This masthead can reveal the Broncos have tabled a contract downgrade to former Queensland Origin winger Oates ahead of Brisbane’s clash against the Eels on Friday night at the Gabba.

It is understood the reduced offer has gone down like a lead balloon with Oates, who was left bitterly disappointed with a deal that represents a significant decrease on his current salary of around $450,000.

The Broncos are not trying to force Oates out and are hopeful he can finish his career with the club, but Brisbane’s stunning resurgence this year is putting increasing pressure on their salary cap.

The Broncos have 11 players who will be free agents from November 1, including superstar prop Payne Haas, skipper Adam Reynolds, vice-captain Kurt Capewell and rising stars Ezra Mam, Brendan Piakura and Jordan Riki.

I think he needs to accept at the stage of his career with his injury issues a downgrade is inevitable. A $200k downgrade is a bit steep though. Said it the other day, last thing we need is to get the players offside and Oatesy is a hugely popular member of the squad.

Bottom line, if losing Haas allows you to keep the rest of this team together, it's probably a good call.
Thought experiment.

Let’s say we are heading into week one of the finals and we HAD to lose one of our top 4 players to ‘injury’ (for the whole of the final series). Either Walsh, Reynolds, Carrigan or Haas. The rest of the squad however is fit and available. Who do you lose? I would choose Haas.

I think he needs to accept at the stage of his career with his injury issues a downgrade is inevitable. A $200k downgrade is a bit steep though. Said it the other day, last thing we need is to get the players offside and Oatesy is a hugely popular member of the squad.
I can see why he's upset with $250k. As others have said, surely he's eligible for the discount, probably the only player in the squad who is?

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.