Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I will hear some negatives from people saying it wont work

you missed the point no training squad not on a nfl team period IE not getting paid in any form from nfl

Then there is less than zero % chance they will be good enough to even make a QLD cup side ... and even if they could make a QLD cup side, no one relocates to the other side of the world for effectively a part time wage

Then there is less than zero % chance they will be good enough to even make a QLD cup side ... and even if they could make a QLD cup side, no one relocates to the other side of the world for effectively a part time wage
I hate pvl as much as the next man but whats the big deal?it wont take cap space,it will reward clubs willing to put in the work.

Sounds like a case of hating just because its a pvl idea to me

Kayo show from last year, was fun to watch. About American rejects from pro sports playing league now
Biggest issue for me is their non wada drug testing in American Football.

I don’t see the harm and although very unlikely that many or any will have success, it will potentially bring some extra eyes to the sport.

Though there are already plenty of Americans playing in b leagues around the world who American sport fans wouldn’t care at all about.

There is actually huge potential there, simply due to how many freaken Americans there are. It was discussed when Hayne went over there. He was a freak in our small pond but there would be hundreds of equivalent, if not better, potential players over there. The attributes required to be a League player aren't isolated to any particular population (though some show certain aspects towards certain positions, like big Polynesian forwards, or strong fast outside backs from Fiji or PNG etc), the hindrance would be the lack of exposure to league, both as entertainment that is watched and familiarised with, and actually playing and learning from a young age. But that has to start somewhere.

I don’t see the harm and although very unlikely that many or any will have success, it will potentially bring some extra eyes to the sport.

Though there are already plenty of Americans playing in b leagues around the world who American sport fans wouldn’t care at all about.
Grid Iron is even more tedious than AFL. The only thing it has going for it is money and talent pool.

Ben and Shane Walker tried this in 2018 with Silas Redd. He didn't even play Cup and went home.

Impressive athlete but just couldn't grasp League.

Nothing lost though.

Ben and Shane Walker tried this in 2018 with Silas Redd. He didn't even play Cup and went home.

Impressive athlete but just couldn't grasp League.

Nothing lost though.
I completely forgot they brought that guy over, thanks for posting that, serious blast from the past

I dont think its a bad thing TBH. Let it happen, it wont hurt the sport. Commercially its a smart idea!

NFL players getting their head around league will be hard. One benefit is that there could be some wingers or back rowers come out of it. Match fitness would be unlike anything they are used too. Some of those guys put their bodies in harder contact than league.

I don't think you understand how good the athletes are that miss out. And these blokes that miss out, are jobless and will need to go find a career. I'm sure a quite a few of them would be enticed over to Australia for 80k/yr to trial for a chance at a professional sporting career. I hope the Broncos do it, and I'd be targeting the bigger units to play prop, not a "skill" position.

There is actually huge potential there, simply due to how many freaken Americans there are. It was discussed when Hayne went over there. He was a freak in our small pond but there would be hundreds of equivalent, if not better, potential players over there. The attributes required to be a League player aren't isolated to any particular population (though some show certain aspects towards certain positions, like big Polynesian forwards, or strong fast outside backs from Fiji or PNG etc), the hindrance would be the lack of exposure to league, both as entertainment that is watched and familiarised with, and actually playing and learning from a young age. But that has to start somewhere.
It also depends whether PVL is just getting ahead of any enquiries that might come through after the Vegas match or in training sessions with other athletes. Better to float this stuff out there now rather than face grumbles about it later down the track if some club get cut a cap break for some random American who takes the bait.

None of this - at this stage - suggests the clubs should/would/might actively fund scouts to watch college grid iron.

Award-winning CEO Sir Peter V'landy's says they will/might/could scrap the cap or make concessions for clubs who sign American talent:

“It’s a wonderful idea. You only need half-a-dozen Americans to succeed and you would have a whole new following in the US because millions of sports fans in the States would follow their journey. There’s thousands of athletes that miss out on making the NFL and with the skill level of those players, they could easily adapt to rugby league very quickly. They are brilliant athletes."​
“To encourage the clubs, we need to allow salary-cap relief, so if you bring an American player out, it won‘t be counted in the salary cap.”​
“It’s an initiative we want to trial. I will hear some negatives from people saying it won’t work, but we’ve seen a lot more Polynesian players come through and succeed in the NRL. To me it if it works, it‘s a huge bonanza for rugby league and if it fails, there’s nothing really lost.”​
“The Pasifika club is a joint venture with the Australian government, no doubt about that. It couldn’t be done without their support. The government will invest in an NRL team in the Pacific because they believe in soft diplomacy. I am confident the government would continue to support an NRL team. It doesn’t matter who is in power. Our relationship with our Pacific neighbours is crucial to national security. The government will be committed to this for a decade and beyond. There will be hundreds of Pacific and PNG stars of the future that will be produced out of expansion. PNG alone has more than 10 million people and rugby league is the No.1 sport there. They have the talent base to support an NRL team.”​
Triggered

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Gaz
  • mystico
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Old Mate
  • Rookie Alan
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncorob
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.