Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Wayne denies interest in Tevita:

“Tevita is a very gifted player but we have our squad in place and we’re very happy with what we’ve got. Look, I have a history with Tevita, he came to the Broncos because he wanted to be coached by me and I have a lot of time for him as a person. But the reality is Tevita has made his decision to move on with boxing and he hasn’t been in our thoughts. There’s no doubt Tevita could come back and make it again in the NRL, but I’ve got a quality forward pack and our salary cap is pretty full.”​
“I don’t mind a bit of pressure for spots, but not to the point where you piss players off who think they have no chance of playing NRL because Tevita is in front of them. We’ve added Tom Flegler from the Broncos and if you look at our best 17, there’s a few very good forwards who are going to miss the starting side. If I brought Tevita back, that adds more pressure on everybody. I really enjoyed coaching Tevita. He played his best football under my coaching, but we have got a good stable squad here.”​
“Whether Tevita can play well again in the NRL ... that’s not a problem at all in my mind. He has only been out of the game for six months. He has done plenty of NRL pre-seasons and boxing is a tough sport that requires fitness, so if Tevita came back he would be in good shape, but he won’t be coming back with us.”​
He mentions this every time TPJ is mentioned. Screams to me that no player has ever said that before.... which is crazy considering every new job I start I bs about wanted to work under the manager I have. Still find it strange TPJ didn't go to any of the clubs before or after the broncos with bennett......

He mentions this every time TPJ is mentioned. Screams to me that no player has ever said that before.... which is crazy considering every new job I start I bs about wanted to work under the manager I have. Still find it strange TPJ didn't go to any of the clubs before or after the broncos with bennett......

In a sport where players and coaches try to be somewhat down to earth and rarely praise themselves, it's a bit off putting when a coach keeps saying "he wanted to be coached by me".

Wayne is a good father figure, it's not like he coaches Rugby League better than anyone else I wouldn't think. How hard can it be? You run hard and make your tackles. I think he has an exceptional ability to manage men and that separates him from some real duds. You listen to Seibold talk Rugby League and it's really obvious he knows what he is talking about, he's obviously no good at managing men.

TPJ said he hated RL and only played because his parents made him.......

That attitude will grin through somehow.......somewhere.........

he's poison to any club IMO.
Even the Tigers, yeah I just said it.

Wayne denies interest in Tevita:

“Tevita is a very gifted player but we have our squad in place and we’re very happy with what we’ve got. Look, I have a history with Tevita, he came to the Broncos because he wanted to be coached by me and I have a lot of time for him as a person. But the reality is Tevita has made his decision to move on with boxing and he hasn’t been in our thoughts. There’s no doubt Tevita could come back and make it again in the NRL, but I’ve got a quality forward pack and our salary cap is pretty full.”​
“I don’t mind a bit of pressure for spots, but not to the point where you piss players off who think they have no chance of playing NRL because Tevita is in front of them. We’ve added Tom Flegler from the Broncos and if you look at our best 17, there’s a few very good forwards who are going to miss the starting side. If I brought Tevita back, that adds more pressure on everybody. I really enjoyed coaching Tevita. He played his best football under my coaching, but we have got a good stable squad here.”​
“Whether Tevita can play well again in the NRL ... that’s not a problem at all in my mind. He has only been out of the game for six months. He has done plenty of NRL pre-seasons and boxing is a tough sport that requires fitness, so if Tevita came back he would be in good shape, but he won’t be coming back with us.”​
I’ve gotten pretty good at interpreting Bennett speak and this roughly translates to “TPJ didn’t want to come to the dolphins 😠

Wasn't there a report that TPJ was being hunted by The last year?

In a sport where players and coaches try to be somewhat down to earth and rarely praise themselves, it's a bit off putting when a coach keeps saying "he wanted to be coached by me".

Wayne is a good father figure, it's not like he coaches Rugby League better than anyone else I wouldn't think. How hard can it be? You run hard and make your tackles. I think he has an exceptional ability to manage men and that separates him from some real duds. You listen to Seibold talk Rugby League and it's really obvious he knows what he is talking about, he's obviously no good at managing men.

Some people dont like it, but Wayne goes above and beyond for his players and thats why players mostly love playing for him. There are so many things people never see or hear about things he does for players and their families away from the game that sets him apart really. The story Webcke tells is a brilliant example ( and its not the only one ) and shows why he gets such loyalty from his players. Generally, fans and the media only see the version of Wayne he wants them to see and that suits him.

Some people dont like it, but Wayne goes above and beyond for his players and thats why players mostly love playing for him. There are so many things people never see or hear about things he does for players and their families away from the game that sets him apart really. The story Webcke tells is a brilliant example ( and its not the only one ) and shows why he gets such loyalty from his players. Generally, fans and the media only see the version of Wayne he wants them to see and that suits him.
No one's disputing it. Just comes across a bit sad and desperate mentioning it 300 times, particularly when the player has not followed him and has about 3 braincells anyway...

I'm not denying his credentials, that would be foolish.

I just think "being coached by me" isn't necessarily the best way to put it. I think mentored would be the more appropriate word. He cares a lot about his players and that's pretty obvious, I highly doubt he's coaching something that other coaches aren't coaching though. I believe he's mentoring in a way that others can't.

It's why I have always believed in Kev, you can see he cares about people, that's pretty obvious.

I'm not denying his credentials, that would be foolish.

I just think "being coached by me" isn't necessarily the best way to put it. I think mentored would be the more appropriate word. He cares a lot about his players and that's pretty obvious, I highly doubt he's coaching something that other coaches aren't coaching though. I believe he's mentoring in a way that others can't.

It's why I have always believed in Kev, you can see he cares about people, that's pretty obvious.

In terms of coaching the technical side of the game, i doubt he is either. I think its more than mentoring though, although that is a big part of what he does well. He just knows what makes people tick and thats invaluable when it comes to getting the best out of players.

No one's disputing it. Just comes across a bit sad and desperate mentioning it 300 times, particularly when the player has not followed him and has about 3 braincells anyway...

Wayne says it though because he knows the reaction it will get. Its just like most things he does with the media. Its carefully crafted and planned out most of the time.

Wayne says it though because he knows the reaction it will get. Its just like most things he does with the media. Its carefully crafted and planned out most of the time.

I do think he gets too much credit sometimes, not every single time he lets fly at a journo is a crafted plan, sometimes it has to be just frustration and the journo getting a response.

I do think he gets too much credit sometimes, not every single time he lets fly at a journo is a crafted plan, sometimes it has to be just frustration and the journo getting a response.

Don't underestimate the old fox. You don't get to where he is and do what he's done without being very clever between the ears. He's been coaching for 48 years - longer than a lot of posters on this forum have even been alive...

Sounds like another shalomon ofoa or whatever his name is.

Eg ticks all the smokey boxes but then broncos probably realise why he never made it when he gets there...

Dunno , this kid was sposed to be on track for 1st grade at the Bunnies .
But had health and injury problems .

Shalom was a lower grader from the Dragons who no one knew .
Ran with a bit of vigour in one trial and people got excited .

He also hasn’t won the thing in 14 years now.
Oh I make no comment on his actual coaching prowess these days, there's a discussion which could be had about whether the game has moved past him. Although in fairness he should have won it 8 years ago...oof.

But yeah I was more talking about his handling of journos. He's been in the game longer than them and he's still pretty sharp.

Definitely not Shalom like at all. I’ll raise you a James Johnson though.

P.s. I am well aware he is a lot better prospect than James was. He is actually a good signing imo.

Active Now

• john1420
  • sooticus
  • theshed
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ettybay
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.