Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Is anyone else ok about the idea of losing Cobbo? Starts at wing, asks for centre, but really wants to be a fullback.

He's more an athlete than a footballer.

With Walsh, our soon locked down long term fullback. I can see Mariner being a centre.

Not a like for like replacement, but with our style of high effort, speed, and throw it around football, all building around Walsh, I'm ok with Cobbo leaving.

Can't keep them all. Katoni will take a pay cut. Out of all the shopping around his manager did, Eels bit but walked away. Came back to our offer.

Cobbo has had a few good games in the effort area, but my concern is it is his nature to clock off, just like Latrell.

I'd take a Jack Reed or a Michael Devere on the minimal money they command, if it meant a power spine and a commanding pack.
I'd try to hold on to Cobbo as well, but that's more because of how I predict the game to evolve in the medium to long term more than anything (where guys like Radley and Murray will eventually end up at Hooker, and the Five Eighth will end up playing like a rugby union style halfback/scrumhalf. With those bigger fullbacks at centre)

Is anyone else ok about the idea of losing Cobbo? Starts at wing, asks for centre, but really wants to be a fullback.

Think you're doing Selwyn a massive disservice there.

He has shown an incredible amount of skill on various occasions. If anything he's more of a footy player than he is an athlete.

Think you're doing Selwyn a massive disservice there.

He has shown an incredible amount of skill on various occasions. If anything he's more of a footy player than he is an athlete.
His positioning around the ball says different. Whether that be covering at fullback, or repeated sideline indiscretions, despite other options.

He was run down by deardon last night. Deardon might have had a head start, but deardon in mathematics, had to cover more ground. The fact that Cobbo couldn't weigh the options. He's an athlete.

Really doubt cobbo will leave SEQ. His family are all here, he goes back home regularly. I reckon he pulls a riki and only negotiates with the broncos. He's worth about 650 per year. Needs to up his game to be commanding more

His positioning around the ball says different. Whether that be covering at fullback, or repeated sideline indiscretions, despite other options.

He was run down by deardon last night. Deardon might have had a head start, but deardon in mathematics, had to cover more ground. The fact that Cobbo couldn't weigh the options. He's an athlete.
He is one of the more instinctive footballer that you'll see. Think you are letting his errors cloud your judgement on this.

If you want an example of a player that is more of an athlete than footballer, look no further than our former winger Xavier Coates, not Cobbo.

Since when would a footballer every consider the mathematics of a situation, that instead sounds like something an athlete would do.

he wasn't run down by Deardon. They didnt start in a foot race. Deardon played the angles and made a great tackle. But he didn't run him down. Mariner runs people down.

With Walsh, our soon locked down long term fullback. I can see Mariner being a centre.

Not a like for like replacement, but with our style of high effort, speed, and throw it around football, all building around Walsh, I'm ok with Cobbo leaving.

Can't keep them all. Katoni will take a pay cut. Out of all the shopping around his manager did, Eels bit but walked away. Came back to our offer.

Cobbo has had a few good games in the effort area, but my concern is it is his nature to clock off, just like Latrell.

I'd take a Jack Reed or a Michael Devere on the minimal money they command, if it meant a power spine and a commanding pack.
Don't want to lose any of our big money players, but we'll have to at some point. Centre depth is the least of our concerns. Mariner is wrapped up until 2027.

And Selwyn is 99% footballer, 1% athlete.

Actually, struggling to think of anyone in our squad who's more athlete than footballer these days. We used to have tons of them: Tesi, Jamayne, early days Herbie. The closest I can think of now is maybe Riki and Marty. They're no slouches as footballers, though.

For those that are either desperate or simply just in favour of giving TPJ a contract, here is what the CM is saying (byline is:
Peter Badel, Brent Read and Travis Meyn) no quotes so make of this info what you will:

• We have no interest in signing TPJ unless he quits boxing and makes a full time rugby league comeback
  • We are still on the hunt for a backrower to add depth to our list, particularly following Brendan Piakura’s ankle injury this week.
  • a lacklustre 26-minute cameo for Souths-Logan in round 1 of the Hostplus Cup did little to impress influential figures at the Broncos.
  • We've had a crack at signing North Queensland’s Jack Gosiewski and made enquiries with other potential targets, but won’t be taking risks and rushing to offer TPJ a contract

Looks like we're in the Selwyn Cobbo phase of "who do we slam this week".

Literally one game, he's always taking tough carries and putting in where sometimes others aren't, he got run down, so what? Full credit to Dearden, it was an incredible effort.

Fletcher Baker, you can take the week off.

He didn`t see Deardon till the last moment and had no option to step back in then . And when he did , he probably trusted his fend to push Tommy away and crash over .
Deardon used perfect technique . Deardon 1 - Cobbo nil . The war isn`t over yet ...

Cobbo has scored numerous tries by backing himself and taking a risk.

Unfortunately this is just one that didn't pay off because of a brilliant effort and tackle be dearden.

If he stops backing himself, he loses that x-factor that can make him so valuable.

It is the play the ball errors in our territory which he has had a few that he needs to address.

Looks like we're in the Selwyn Cobbo phase of "who do we slam this week".

Literally one game, he's always taking tough carries and putting in where sometimes others aren't, he got run down, so what? Full credit to Dearden, it was an incredible effort.

Fletcher Baker, you can take the week off.
This being the rumour thread, it's pretty reasonable and on topic to discuss who's likely to be cut due to salary cap pressure. The better Selwyn plays at centre, the more his market value will rise and the harder it will be to retain him.

So the opposite of what you're saying, literally.

If you want to flex your trolling routine, maybe a different thread is more appropriate.

Next week it will be someone else, it's the norm for this joint.
The double whammies are even better ..

Let's dump Selwyn ..

And I have another best idea .. just to compliment the first best idea I had ..

Let's bring back TPJ!!!

🤡🤡

This being the rumour thread, it's pretty reasonable and on topic to discuss who's likely to be cut due to salary cap pressure. The better Selwyn plays at centre, the more his market value will rise and the harder it will be to retain him.

So the opposite of what you're saying, literally.

If you want to flex your trolling routine, maybe a different thread is more appropriate.

Yep definitely don't want our players getting better and driving their own prices up because some idiot journalist might then suggest we can't keep him.

On this whole point, I don't really see why we need to lose anyone else we want to keep. We've already lost four players from last year and we will lose some more bits and pieces here and there.

But if Penrith can afford to make Tago the highest paid centre in the game (again believe journalists at your own peril) despite having Cleary, Leota, JFH, Yeo, Edwards, Martin, To'o and so on AND extend May, no reason if we forward plan enough, we can't do similar.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Alec
  • Justwin
  • Waynesaurus
  • mitch222
  • Gaz
  • mrtij
  • Dash
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Thelmus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • the_next
  • Behold
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.