Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Paixs biggest problem is defence. And you need to be rock solid in defence playing hooker as you defend around the ruck all game.
it's a big problem for most hookers too be fair, they generally dominate the missed tackles because they are soo much smaller than anyone else in the middle, unless they have an elite tackle technique to overwrite that it's just physics at play(as in they basically have to be the best pound for pound tackler in the team).

Paix's biggest issue for me is he has gone backwards big time in attack from what we saw in 2022 before the knee injury.

Enough money over what we would offer, I think at this point unless the player has family in Sydney or something we will win within reason on any player soo long as they are getting game time, the ones that leave will get alot more money to justify it.

Mam is young though so as long as he isn't managed by a total idiot it would rule out clubs like Tigers, joining a team like that early in your career is suicide.

He's not going to get a huge offer from us though because we simply dont have it there to offer him. We wont low ball him i wouldn't think, but we aren't getting close to $900k+ a year for him at this stage. If we throw big money at Mam, then unless Walsh is willing to take quite a decent contract hit we are going to struggle to keep him as well.

We have quite a tricky balancing act on our hands and i think its going to be dependent on some smart signings and hoping some players take less than what they can get elsewhere.

He's not going to get a huge offer from us though because we simply dont have it there to offer him. We wont low ball him i wouldn't think, but we aren't getting close to $900k+ a year for him at this stage. If we throw big money at Mam, then unless Walsh is willing to take quite a decent contract hit we are going to struggle to keep him as well.

We have quite a tricky balancing act on our hands and i think its going to be dependent on some smart signings and hoping some players take less than what they can get elsewhere.
Walsh would obviously take priority, but I think 700 to 800k is possible but it has to be long term to justify.

I don't really see him leaving tbh, combos are important and he is a better player with Walsh around he would even know that.

Mam is a good player especially as a running half but he needs creative players like Walsh around him to work.

I would be willing to sign Mam for a contract that makes it impossible to keep players like Staggs and our current main backrowers tbh(I would be fine with Arthars and Mariner as our centres or Cobbo and say Mariner on wing), to fit him in the cap he is only going to get better and his instinct play is already one of the best in the game, infact I would have him right behind Munster as the best 6 in the game at this point, he lacks his kicking ability big time but atleast off last year he is the better runner now.

Dearden is likely to be moved to 7 at some point so I wouldn't say that is his long term rival anyway.

ZeroTackle reporting that Paix has held talks with the Roosters.
Hopefully it happens, paix might regain his best but he has to go at this point, we need space for Mozer to come in next year.

ZeroTackle reporting that Paix has held talks with the Roosters.
Makes sense for both parties. Brandon smith isn't an 80min hooker, and roosters let turpin go. They do have Watson, but he is more a utility than a replacement 9 (and is injury prone, as is smith).

Paix would be higher in the pecking order but still in a competitive team.

Makes sense for both parties. Brandon smith isn't an 80min hooker, and roosters let turpin go. They do have Watson, but he is more a utility than a replacement 9 (and is injury prone, as is smith).

Paix would be higher in the pecking order but still in a competitive team.

Hutchison went as well, so they’re short on #14s

I dont think even Patty took a pay cut tbf. I just dont see if a club, say like the Phins or the Tigers come in with a similar offer to what they offered Munster ( the rumoured $1.5 million a year ) many players will turn it down. We simply cant compete financially so we are really reliant on players taking unders. And only Patty so far has probably taken unders.
In regards to taking unders... Rumours are around on Reynolds taking a big pay cut, Oates on a pay cut and then Capewell could be taking a pay cut as well.

Veterans taking pay cuts to keep the young guys can be a path forward for us as well.

Timing on when upgrades kick in is another factor... Ezra, Riki and Piakura have contracts for 2024 and Walsh is contracted to 2025. Reynolds and Capewell also have contracts for next year... so some upgrades for the above might not kick in until 2025 when the veterans are taking some pay cuts.

Our salary cap will be a balancing act for sure, but I think the key to all of it at the moment is the length of contracts.

In recent times we've been utilising smaller contracts that get to about 2 or 3yrs in total i.e. 2yr extensions, etc. and moved away from compounding high value contracts with long 4 or 5 years deals.

Under the previous administration we were handing out long deals on high money... Staggs getting a 4yr high paying extension, Darius 4yr deals with options, Milf long and high paying deal, Bird long and high paying deal, Lodge, TPJ, etc. Deals that you can't move out of, because the money is too high and then you get stuck with them and put pressure on the salary cap. Staggs not so much at the moment, but if it was a 2-3yr extension it would've aligned with Herbie and the arrival of Cobbo... and there's options to make sure we go down the right path.

The shorter deals that we've been doing now allows more flexibility in the roster... even if we have to move a player on and pay some of the contract, at least it's only shorter term that it impacts our cap. The previous long term high paying deals are too weighted to the player and a higher risk to the club.

Patty picked up a 4 or 5 year deal, but he's an absolute A+ in terms of low risk moving forward... but around that time it's been safe modest extensions to keep the roster flexible; Arthars (2yr extension), Paix (2yr), Jenson (2yr), Madden (2yr), Payne (3yr extension... but that was probably more him than us), Reynolds (3yr), Capewell (3yr), Kobe (2yr extension), etc.

Mariner was probably the only one in recent times that got a somewhat long deal with a 3yr extension. Cobbo also got a decent pay bump and 3yr extension, but that may have been a bit political to ensure Dolphins were kept at bay and it hasn't hurt us at the moment anyway.

It means more work for our recruitment and retention team with players constantly coming off contract, but it keeps us flexible.

In regards to Ezra I'm hoping he gets a decent pay bump but with a shorter extension like 2yr... even a 3 year extension might be too much. 2yrs with an upgrade on this year is effectively a new 3yr contract.

Shorter term works for Ezra as it gives him opportunity to upgrade in a couple years if he keeps getting better and his value sky rockets... it's also lower risk to the broncos as it gives us more time to ensure he'll be the real deal that the club can build around.

I dont think even Patty took a pay cut tbf. I just dont see if a club, say like the Phins or the Tigers come in with a similar offer to what they offered Munster ( the rumoured $1.5 million a year ) many players will turn it down. We simply cant compete financially so we are really reliant on players taking unders. And only Patty so far has probably taken unders.
Your right, clubs have and always will throw ridiculous coin around and it would be hard to pass up. It's definitely wishful thinking but, it helps me if I believe they will take slight unders until the day they don't.

That was last month. The latest rumour is they haven't made him an offer.

If last month is yesterday...I guess you are right.

Should I be worrying?
Screenshot 20231118 152612 Facebook

Courier mail is reporting that we are close to extending Piakura. Love to keep him. His hard hitting defence and agility. Wants to be in the run on side. Wonder what this means for Capewell. I see Riki and Piakura as the future.

I would have thought Dolphins would be going in deep for a halfback, Ezra is great for us but he's only great because he doesn't have to do any kicking, he's very much unproven in that regard.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • sooticus
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • theshed
  • Jazza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • heartly87
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • rj9
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.