Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

I think it is a sound idea and I think that 17 spot on the bench for now has Oates written all over it.

What has he done in the past to make you think that is an option ?
Never played any position other than wing in 1st grade ??

He did actually play back row a couple of games. I remember a last-minutes win against the Panthers, isolating Soward and sending Oates in the #11 over him for the try.

Soward ! ?
What like 10 years ago ? I worry that he drops the ball in tackles . And his positioning and communication in defence . That edge spot can mean multiple runners coming off the half .
But , never go - never know I guess .

Oatsey is easily capable of playing back row. 2 big reasons he never really got a great shot there was Wayne firstly didnt think he had the mentality to play the position, not the ability, and secondly he was just too important on the wing.

I think at the stage of his career he is at now, he's mature enough to be able to fill in that role. He could come off the bench, and if we had a back go down we have the likes of Arthars and Mariner to shift to the centers and he can just drop in on the wing.

Oatsey is easily capable of playing back row. 2 big reasons he never really got a great shot there was Wayne firstly didnt think he had the mentality to play the position, not the ability, and secondly he was just too important on the wing.

I think at the stage of his career he is at now, he's mature enough to be able to fill in that role. He could come off the bench, and if we had a back go down we have the likes of Arthars and Mariner to shift to the centers and he can just drop in on the wing.
I stopped myself from having a rant about it earlier. **** no he is not. Such a woeful take how could anyone have seen what he was like last time and think that was a good idea. I reckon most 80 year olds move better laterally than he does. **** NO.

I’m personally against the second row/outside back bench player as well but if you were going to do it than do it properly and get John to call up his son.

No way should we using Oatesy in that role just such stupidity to even want to go through that bullshit again. Sure he is a big boy that runs a good line. He fucking sucks at everything else involved with that role. Would much rather the bloke not know how to run a good line to save themselves and do the little but excruciatingly important things whilst being a proficient middle or at the very worst outside back.

Kept an eye on klese hass in the gold coast game as he was filling in for fifita. He didn't run much but his defence was very good. Good lateral movement at second row, protected his half well, and 46 tackles and only 1 miss. I was pretty impressed.

If he can maintain that consistency i would not be opposed to seeing if he wanted to join his bro in the broncos. He would be very good cover if piakura or riki were injured/suspended, and strengthen payne's ties to the broncos.

Does Oates spend any time training in the backrow or is it purely on the wing?

Not regularly. He would have to do it a lot more if we wanted him to play a role off the bench there.
I think it’d be worth making that transition for him. Probably should have started in the off season just gone.

CM is reporting that we have gone to the market for a backrower and have c.$300k to spend. Who do you think we could get for that?

TPJ
Klese Haas
Jack Howarth

One of these
pass

edit: according to the article we'd have to wait until round 16 to get TPJ for under 300k because of the NRL's notional-value system and the fact that his last contract was 750k a year. after Round 16 we could get him for 277k(on a pro rata basis)

I would love to have TPJ back, but he needs to move back to either lock or the front row. I would happily have either him or Carrigan as the other starting front row.

I would love to have TPJ back, but he needs to move back to either lock or the front row. I would happily have either him or Carrigan as the other starting front row.
Yea no. If he ever does join us, it'll be off the bench as middle/edge forward cover.

TPJ may not have changed but there are indications he possibly has to be fair:
- Giving up his match payments to charity
- Is still giving priority to boxing
- Even before he left was open about loving the Broncos, not the sport and has been consistent with that

He isn't very bright but that doesn't mean he hasn't changed. Lets see where he sits in a month or two from now

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • Lozza
  • Stix
  • mystico
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Tmac
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.