Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

Id keep Cobbo if he seemed somewhat remotely interested in playing first grade but it seems that his number one priority in life isn't football at all and we just cant afford to carry a player like that on big money at the club paying for potential. At the price he would command, I don't want to pay for someone to realize their potential, I want has realized their potential and is now a star.
But hey, maybe a coaching change might correct the attitude because at the moment the attitude is very lousy and it wasn't all just because of Walters coaching either. Even Billy got fed up with him in origin this year

Yeah, it's the 'worth 1 million' garbage I can't cop. Youd have to be out of your mind to offer him 3-4 million for 3-4 years

If Cobbo went anywhere it would be roosters.

I’m not in a hurry to keep cobbo or Staggs. Both inconsistent.

Just did a run around the usual sources to see if I could cobble up some 2025 roster numbers. I wouldn't take them too seriously. Different sources differed. Even the same sources by the same authors differed in different articles. The variance was typically $50,000. But here goes anyway. Have at it:

Reece Walsh$ 1,200,000 (estimated)
Payne Haas$ 1,100,000
Pat Carrigan$ 800,000
Kotoni Staggs$ 700,000
Ezra Mam$ 650,000
Selwyn Cobbo$ 625,000
Adam Reynolds$ 500,000
Kobe Hetherington$ 450,000
Brendan Piakura$ 400,000
Fletcher Baker$ 350,000
Jordan Riki$ 350,000
Martin Taupau$ 350,000
Cory Paix$ 325,000
Corey Jensen$ 300,000
Jesse Arthars$ 300,000
Jock Madden$ 280,000
Xavier Willison$ 250,000
Billy Walters$ 240,000
Blake Mozer$ 200,000
Jaiyden Hunt$ 200,000
Tyson Smoothy$ 180,000
Jack Gosiewski$ 150,000
Ben Te Kura$ 150,000
Delouise Hoeter$ 150,000
Israel Leota$ 130,000

They let go of Holmes, to just sign Cobbo for probably a similar figure wouldn't make too much sense.

He's not replacing Drinkwater, they absolutely rely on Drinkwater's play making capabilities in their attack. Drinkwater is a 5/8 or a fullback, Dearden isn't about to make way.

They let go of Holmes, to just sign Cobbo for probably a similar figure wouldn't make too much sense.

He's not replacing Drinkwater, they absolutely rely on Drinkwater's play making capabilities in their attack. Drinkwater is a 5/8 or a fullback, Dearden isn't about to make way.
I think they might have convinced themselves that Dearden can be a game managing 7 (won't happen). They've gone all in on him and don't really have a locked in halfback for next season.

Cobbo looked absolutely gone last season, very disinterested it seems. He's currently on 625k a year and that's massive overs on what he ditched up last season.
Yep and I'm sure his manager will be ridiculous and push for a completely undeserved payrise for his next contract as well.

I know there have been comparisons with GI, but to me, this bloke will never get anywhere near the heights achieved by Inglis. I know GI had his ups and downs at times, but from his early days with the Storm, he just always looked to have that hunger to be the most devastating attacking player he could be. Apart fom brief glimpses, Cobbo just looks like a Temu version of GI (at same stage of careers).

Spend the money saved on him to put towards your next number 7. Good wingers (and thats all Cobbo is in reality most weeks) are a dime a dozen.

I don't disagree with any of you about Cobbo no longer being a priority but geez you can't blame players for having no loyalty when you look at the about-face on Cobbo in 12 short months

Start of the year everyone wanted to **** Staggs off and keep Cobbo. Now everyone is falling over themselves to get rid.
I dont want to lose Selwyn... I would probably still prefer Cobbo over Staggs at this stage... as he has the higher upside as a centre out of the two.

Some reports he was also playing injured last season. I can certainly forgive that if true. I think injuries were still our single biggest issue on missing the 8 last season, including with Cobbo.

He's 22 and I expect up and down for a bit at that age. I think he will bounce back. I think 625K-700K is a fair price. I think we have to consider potential as part of the figure as the market certainly does.

If we lose him its not the end of the world. I am glad we haven't rushed to sign him and are not just throwing cash at him to re-sign.

All this talk of him playing fullback is just a manager trying to get fullback money for an outside back. Holmes said the same, Herbie and Addo Carr also wanted to play fullback apparently. I'm sure there are more examples.

Just did a run around the usual sources to see if I could cobble up some 2025 roster numbers. I wouldn't take them too seriously. Different sources differed. Even the same sources by the same authors differed in different articles. The variance was typically $50,000. But here goes anyway. Have at it:

Reece Walsh$ 1,200,000 (estimated)
Payne Haas$ 1,100,000
Pat Carrigan$ 800,000
Kotoni Staggs$ 700,000
Ezra Mam$ 650,000
Selwyn Cobbo$ 625,000
Adam Reynolds$ 500,000
Kobe Hetherington$ 450,000
Brendan Piakura$ 400,000
Fletcher Baker$ 350,000
Jordan Riki$ 350,000
Martin Taupau$ 350,000
Cory Paix$ 325,000
Corey Jensen$ 300,000
Jesse Arthars$ 300,000
Jock Madden$ 280,000
Xavier Willison$ 250,000
Billy Walters$ 240,000
Blake Mozer$ 200,000
Jaiyden Hunt$ 200,000
Tyson Smoothy$ 180,000
Jack Gosiewski$ 150,000
Ben Te Kura$ 150,000
Delouise Hoeter$ 150,000
Israel Leota$ 130,000

Hetherington on $450k is stupid money if accurate, I can understand why we were willing to let him go if that is what he is costing.

Cobbo is a problem child, you want to keep him but is he really worth the trouble. If his manager is talking big dollars after the shit 2nd half of year he's had, I'd let him walk or at best do a very short contract.

Cobbo is a problem child, you want to keep him but is he really worth the trouble. If his manager is talking big dollars after the shit 2nd half of year he's had, I'd let him walk or at best do a very short contract.
Given the year he just had the preferred approach for the Broncos is probably a short term extension... maybe even as short as 1yr with a marginal upgrade and then re-evaluate through 2025.

For his manager he will be looking at the biggest and longest deal he can get, but may have limitations in terms of location for Selwyn... wanting to be close to SEQ... which is only us, Dolphins and Titans... Dolphins would be the most likely outside of Broncos, given they will have cap space... but are they wanting a big dollar center with Hammer at fullback... or would they try Cobbo at fullback and move Hammer to centres... I sure as shit wouldn't, because Hammer was electric for them, but Wayne often moved him there to have Fuller at fullback instead. They would have big money tied up in 3 outside backs at that point.

His manager could also let it ride out through 2025, but that is a risk if he starts to lose value or doesnt make it through Madge's preseason... he could also increase in value quite quickly if he recaptures his good form.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Broncorob
  • jarro65
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • Footy Fanatic
  • phoenix
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redux
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.