OFFICIAL Broncos Secure Gabba For Three Games In 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Broncos are "set to" take matches to the Gabba next season after being locked out of Lang Park, due to the FIFA Women's World Cup.

FIFA has secured Sydney’s Allianz Stadium and Accor Stadium along with Melbourne’s AAMI Park and Suncorp exclusively for the Women’s World Cup – blocking out all other sports for a two-month period.

The lock out periods differ depending on the ground and Lang Park will be unavailable from late June to late August.

the club are investigating playing up to 3 matches at the Gabba. other ground being investigated are their old home ground in Nathan (QSAC) as well as regional centers like Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast and Bundaberg.

The club have an agreement to play 12 games-a-year at the old Lang Park, with that contract set to be altered to facilitate the Gabba move.

EDIT: the Gabba hasn't hosted a top flight rugby league match since a 1956 Test between Australia and New Zealand and has never witnessed an NRL fixture.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo says:

“Next year’s draw will be the most complex we’ve had in a while with some constraints around those venues,” he said.

“We’re looking at a whole bunch of ways we can work with each club on that. Some of it will be scheduling, some of it will be moving matches regional and creating opportunities to play in potentially new locations.

“That will all unfold over the next six weeks or so. The draw typically comes out at the end of October, but we might need a bit of time, depending on how we go with the complexities. The focus for the next two months is certainly on this.

“We are working with every club on a customised solution. If a stadium isn’t available and they can’t fulfil that (contract) due to a blackout then there will be some flexibility there.”

However Abdo said the State of Origin series would not be affected despite a resolution not yet being reached.

“We will play in our normal venues,” he said.

“We are busy working on that and should have a solution. We are not expecting Origin to be disrupted.”

Source: Travis Meyn (Courier Mail)

I wonder what clause Stadiums Queensland has in their contract with the Broncos that effectively allows them to breach the terms of that contract that gives us the right to play 12 home games at Lang Park

you'd also have to imagine that FIFA are paying a fortune to get the exclusive rights to Lang Park, Allianz, Accor and AAMI Park

What! What idiot came up with that exclusive deal
knowing how FIFA work it would of been they get to use that stadium or no games in brisbane.

knowing how FIFA work it would of been they get to use that stadium or no games in brisbane.

I'm surprised they went with AAMI Park in Melbourne instead of going big and getting exclusive use of the MCG

I'm surprised they went with AAMI Park in Melbourne instead of going big and getting exclusive use of the MCG
Probably because they wanted all the big rectangles in the country.

the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Storm have also been affected by this

If only they took commbank as well Sydney would be fucked.

If we play at QSAC it would be a waste of money to get that set up since it's basically going to be the same distance from the field as having it at the Gabba.

Souths and Roosters will likely play at SCG, with Dogs at Parra and maybe extra games at Belmore.

Start putting statues of soccer players up there.

I fear this will may break the NRL's brains trust (I chuckled too, as if they have any brains) in trying to figure this out.

My bet is the AFL was smart and refused to give up their games at the MCG during the middle of the season.

in this case i actually have to defend the NRL here. since they don't own the stadiums, it isn't their decision.

same is true for the AFL.

the grounds are rented by the teams

Jesus Christ, just when you think the shitshow can't get any worse......

in this case i actually have to defend the NRL here. since they don't own the stadiums, it isn't their decision.

same is true for the AFL.

the grounds are rented by the teams
AFL do own Marvel stadium though.

Active Now

• marw
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.