NEWS Broncos seek back-up No.9

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Toddmurphy

Broncos seek back-up No.9 as Wayne Bennett turns to journeyman utility Todd Murphy

February 21, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
Just wondering what seasoned, quality hooker Kerrod Walters thinks we could get that is prepared to sit on the bench approx 24 rounds a season.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Just wondering what seasoned, quality hooker Kerrod Walters thinks we could get that is prepared to sit on the bench approx 24 rounds a season.

There is one currently at the Rabbitohs.

Bennett could take advantage of that. Get him on the cheap. If Farah isn't the 9 for this season, then he will be in reserve grade as Siebold wants an 80 minute hooker in the 9.

Mitch Rein is also another.

Rico

Rico

QCup Player
Jun 4, 2016
There is one currently at the Rabbitohs.

Bennett could take advantage of that. Get him on the cheap. If Farah isn't the 9 for this season, then he will be in reserve grade as Siebold wants an 80 minute hooker in the 9.

Mitch Rein is also another.

Rein is decent .. as for Farah, we’d play without a hooker before he came here

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
I love how certain they are when they write these articles as if they know 100% what Wayne will do in two weeks time...
"Journeyman Todd Murphy has been crowned Brisbane’s new No. 14 and will make his NRL debut in Round 1."
No if's, but's or maybe's just straight up he WILL be selected as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.
As much as I'd love to see him get a shot cause he has been around a while I'd love even more for wayne to pull a last minute suprise like last year when he named moga just to make these journalists look stupid.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I love how certain they are when they write these articles as if they know 100% what Wayne will do in two weeks time...
"Journeyman Todd Murphy has been crowned Brisbane’s new No. 14 and will make his NRL debut in Round 1."
No if's, but's or maybe's just straight up he WILL be selected as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.
As much as I'd love to see him get a shot cause he has been around a while I'd love even more for wayne to pull a last minute suprise like last year when he named moga just to make these journalists look stupid.

But remember, the Broncos have without a doubt approached Green to coach, no ifs or buts, fact (possibly).

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
So, IF murphy is 14, I guess Oates is out then.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yeah if Murphy is bench utility then Oates is playing QCUP unfortunately.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Lol rein sucks. Would rather a q cp player for half the price and similar output.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I'd love Murphy to get a go, he went to Dolphins as a 17 year old in 2008. 2009 He was solid for the 20's and was captain at the Broncos had a lot of injuries in 2010 and only played four games. Then 2011 won a reserve grade premiership back with Dolphins.

Sunshine Coast, Easts, Norths, Broncos and Sharks. Just pipped by Page for the CM Medal in 2014.

It would be a such a great reward even if he got a handful of NRL games. He's durable and crafty. Can kick goals if he has too- does for Norths.

His offload is strong for a little guy too, he ducks under and gets it away. Can kick out of dummy half and places it well.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
If Alex Glenn is smart he will put his hand up for the utility roll. With Tevita Panjai Jnr, Su'a, and now Oates pushing for backrow spots, Glenns days as a starting backrower are numbered. Bennett has already given Parker and Thaiday the tap, and we have already lost some promising forwards like Arrow. I can't see Bennett keeping guys like Glenn and even Sims around in the way of kids like Haas, Fifita, Sua etc. Glenn is the ideal utility, he can play in most positions.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
If Alex Glenn is smart he will put his hand up for the utility roll. With Tevita Panjai Jnr, Su'a, and now Oates pushing for backrow spots, Glenns days as a starting backrower are numbered. Bennett has already given Parker and Thaiday the tap, and we have already lost some promising forwards like Arrow. I can't see Bennett keeping guys like Glenn and even Sims around in the way of kids like Haas, Fifita, Sua etc. Glenn is the ideal utility, he can play in most positions.
Na. Glenn will have a great year. I just feel it

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Disagree on a couple of points

I dont think Bennett will toss solid, first grade proven players in favour of unknown kids. He'll wanna see how they do against men in q cup before he goes with them long term. Yeah we're all excited about the future but it's up to those kids to prove the future is now, and they'll have to do that against men first before they are locks for the 17.

Secondly I reckon Glenn is better off starting and having a bigger body come on after the first 20 or so, someone like oates who can really make an impact - Glenn is a workhorse so he's not going to have the same impact if you swapped the two around.

Finally I reckon Mcguire would get the nod before Glenn if we were going to throw a forward into hooker as he's got more experience there.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Really? I think the loss of Taylor is and was a killer. He is one of the true #7's going round and I would of picked him ahead of Hunt every day of the week.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • marw
  • GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.