NEWS Broncos seek back-up No.9

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Apologies for getting off topic. Just on the actual topic I've seen little of Murphy but **** knows I love an underdog and I hope he's a raging success. Should he succeed he will inspire dozens of others to never give up, in my book more of a genuine role model than flashy champions paid enormous sums.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Apologies for getting off topic. Just on the actual topic I've seen little of Murphy but **** knows I love an underdog and I hope he's a raging success. Should he succeed he will inspire dozens of others to never give up, in my book more of a genuine role model than flashy champions paid enormous sums.

I agree with this sentiment 100%.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Absolute rubbish. You fail to recognize THE key component of great backs. It is what made guys like The King, Johns, Lockyer, Smith and Thurston what they are and on the other side what Hunt isn't. It's called vision and space. I don't think Hunt is a bad footballer bit I think Taylor will prove better because he has better vision and doesn't looked rushed like a deer in the headlights everytime in the pressure cooker. Also, you aren't going to convince me that Hunt has anything resembling a kicking game at all.
And you’re not going to convince me that Taylor has a passing game, a running game, that he can tackle (rewatch the Canberra game from last year and you’ll struggle to distinguish Taylor from fresh air in defence) or that he can manage a big game when it matters....

As I said, he might end up very good, but as the matter stands he’s achieved bugger all in the game.

Now the bigger question is how the hell this debate got fired up again?

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Agreed.

One of the great things about the death of under 20s is that we might see more blokes come out of ISC as battle hardened players. That’s especially necessary with forwards, who need to learn to play against men, not kids.

We were seeing so many blokes effectively on the scrap heap at 21.

Hope Murphy plays the house down.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Now the bigger question is how the hell this debate got fired up again?

I dunno man. It's one of those things. Like some people just need to dredge up old battles because they have a lonely existence, they crave the attention.

I bet it was one of those pot-smoking atheists.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You hear about it all the time.

Blokes are being lost to the game if they aren’t a star at 21.

I'm not being facetious, I just genuinely don't know who.

Caleb Timu? He chased a mormon dream and then went to rugby.
Alex MacKinnon? Well, you know what happened to him.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

I know you’re not.

I’m saying go back and have a look at the u 20s comp and see how many of the players (from all clubs) get a gig anywhere after 20s comes to an end.

It’s one of the reasons why 20s was scrapped.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
I don't see what was so bad about the Under 20s. You can't escape the fact that not everyone is going to make the NRL squad at age 21. Getting cut is part of pro sports. There is no shame in it.

More just needed to be done around educating guys that you can still make the NRL by playing in the state leagues. Look at someone like Cody Walker who made the grade in his mid 20s.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
I don't see what was so bad about the Under 20s. You can't escape the fact that not everyone is going to make the NRL squad at age 21. Getting cut is part of pro sports. There is no shame in it.

More just needed to be done around educating guys that you can still make the NRL by playing in the state leagues. Look at someone like Cody Walker who made the grade in his mid 20s.

It could have worked if there had been like the old presidents cup (21s) which then lead into reggies.

ISC isn’t the same thing.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
I dunno man. It's one of those things. Like some people just need to dredge up old battles because they have a lonely existence, they crave the attention.

I bet it was one of those pot-smoking atheists.

How did you know? :superhappythumbsup:

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

The NYC was good in theory. Young players were able to play in the same jersey as their NRL heroes. And if they were lucky, even get on the TV. I reckon that would have been great incentive for 15-17yo players who were being courted by both League and Union.

The reality was though that failing to make the NRL squad immediately was deemed a failure. Even though we know that most forwards don't hit their form until 25+, often older, going back to the second tier, having to hold a full-time job to pay the bills, it was a reality check that hit many of them hard. Especially when some of their peers were being offered ridiculous money by desperate NRL clubs.

The tipping point I assume was that kids were literally killing themselves over it. Regardless of the benefits that the NYC brought to the code, nothing is worth that.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016

I think he more referring to the system rather than specific players.

Although down here it looks like ISC is much more stable for player generation that the new cup competition we get every 3-4 years.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
593 NYC players played NRL from 3049 players.
28 Played for New South Wales.
18 Played for Queensland.
32 Played for the Kangaroos.
38 Played for New Zealand.

Long NRL careers- 105 graduates played 100 NRL games and eight 200 NRL game players.

It was a lot of money and clubs were moving guys to ISC anyway to get ready for NRL. Penrith like their guys to play about half a season in ISC before NRL.

It was also impacting on young guys, making them move away from home and 'make it' then have to deal with the disappointment of the perception they hadn't made it when in three years they were back in Dubbo.

With state run comps players can stay at home and play through the grades to ISC for an NRL feeder club- unless you are from Toowoomba and playing for Mustangs.

It's a clear path, Meninga, Under 20's, ISC then NRL all from Cairns Pride/Cutters and Cowboys.

It also lowers the expectations, no travel with bright lights or thinking you're an NRL player training at Red Hill and wearing Broncos' gear. They will still get to travel for games and have trips but no glare or spotlight.

Also you're not just surrounded by other 18 year old with stupid hair cuts and full sleeves. You're around your local mates and grown men who don't care you're the next Immortal I have been concreting since 5am and you've played 1 ISC game while I have played 200 watch and learn.

Playing with Petero for Dolphins was invaluable. Paix this week gets to play with ISC men and NRL men without going too far and no one will be watching. It's all getting them ready in a more real environment.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
The NYC was good in theory. Young players were able to play in the same jersey as their NRL heroes. And if they were lucky, even get on the TV. I reckon that would have been great incentive for 15-17yo players who were being courted by both League and Union.

The reality was though that failing to make the NRL squad immediately was deemed a failure. Even though we know that most forwards don't hit their form until 25+, often older, going back to the second tier, having to hold a full-time job to pay the bills, it was a reality check that hit many of them hard. Especially when some of their peers were being offered ridiculous money by desperate NRL clubs.

The tipping point I assume was that kids were literally killing themselves over it. Regardless of the benefits that the NYC brought to the code, nothing is worth that.
I could not have said it better myself.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
593 NYC players played NRL from 3049 players.
28 Played for New South Wales.
18 Played for Queensland.
32 Played for the Kangaroos.
38 Played for New Zealand.

Long NRL careers- 105 graduates played 100 NRL games and eight 200 NRL game players.

It was a lot of money and clubs were moving guys to ISC anyway to get ready for NRL. Penrith like their guys to play about half a season in ISC before NRL.

It was also impacting on young guys, making them move away from home and 'make it' then have to deal with the disappointment of the perception they hadn't made it when in three years they were back in Dubbo.

With state run comps players can stay at home and play through the grades to ISC for an NRL feeder club- unless you are from Toowoomba and playing for Mustangs.

It's a clear path, Meninga, Under 20's, ISC then NRL all from Cairns Pride/Cutters and Cowboys.

It also lowers the expectations, no travel with bright lights or thinking you're an NRL player training at Red Hill and wearing Broncos' gear. They will still get to travel for games and have trips but no glare or spotlight.

Also you're not just surrounded by other 18 year old with stupid hair cuts and full sleeves. You're around your local mates and grown men who don't care you're the next Immortal I have been concreting since 5am and you've played 1 ISC game while I have played 200 watch and learn.

Playing with Petero for Dolphins was invaluable. Paix this week gets to play with ISC men and NRL men without going too far and no one will be watching. It's all getting them ready in a more real environment.

Well said.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Morkel
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.