NEWS Broncos sign another hooker

Turpin is offering very little ( apart from game one against Parra ) and has actually become just a poor mans McCulloch. We probably need to give Levi a little while to settle in, but i dont see him as being any good either.

As I said in the recruitment thread it was one of the worst debuts in club history. Came on right as the team had made a huge break, got a nice juice play the ball, ran into a nice gap and absolutely fluffed it. The only other thing of note he did all game was ruin a developing overlap and fall off tackle after tackle.

It's too early to put him in that Jack Bird category as one of the worst signings in club history but he's going to have to produce a good game next week. He has it in him and I was hoping he'd produce it last night but consistency has always been his biggest issue in the top grade.

I still think it was silly for the Broncos to give him an NRL deal when they had the option to give him a train and trial. Paix is out through suspension, Hetherington is a lock forward these days, it would have been a smart move but the club just doesn't seem to play to any advantage it has.

As I said in the recruitment thread it was one of the worst debuts in club history. Came on right as the team had made a huge break, got a nice juice play the ball, ran into a nice gap and absolutely fluffed it. The only other thing of note he did all game was ruin a developing overlap and fall off tackle after tackle.

It's too early to put him in that Jack Bird category as one of the worst signings in club history but he's going to have to produce a good game next week. He has it in him and I was hoping he'd produce it last night but consistency has always been his biggest issue in the top grade.

I still think it was silly for the Broncos to give him an NRL deal when they had the option to give him a train and trial. Paix is out through suspension, Hetherington is a lock forward these days, it would have been a smart move but the club just doesn't seem to play to any advantage it has.

He'd be on minimum wage, no way he should be mentioned in the same breath as a Bird, Kennedy or Barba deal. How about we give him more than one game like two days after being signed before we judge him as well.

Can't understand the hate on Turpin. Everyone is complaining about our defensive woes and Turpin has cranked out some 50+ tackle counts and some of them are bell ringers. Some of his passes from dummy half can get sloppy but a bit of work at training can fix that. Levi on the other hand is good out of dummy half but is nowhere near as good as Turpin in defence and looks to have a mistake or two in him. We have plenty of players with that attribute and don't need another.

He'd be on minimum wage, no way he should be mentioned in the same breath as a Bird, Kennedy or Barba deal. How about we give him more than one game like two days after being signed before we judge him as well.
I think he can certainly fall into that honorable mention category like James Gavet, especially if he continues his form from Newcastle and Manly.

He may not be earning as much as those players, but at a time where spots on the roster are so precious giving it away like they have wasn't smart.

Can't understand the hate on Turpin. Everyone is complaining about our defensive woes and Turpin has cranked out some 50+ tackle counts and some of them are bell ringers. Some of his passes from dummy half can get sloppy but a bit of work at training can fix that. Levi on the other hand is good out of dummy half but is nowhere near as good as Turpin in defence and looks to have a mistake or two in him. We have plenty of players with that attribute and don't need another.

I dont think its hate for him. We know what he can do. I think the shine of him not being Andrew McCulloch is wearing off.

At the reported 300k, I'd be happy for Turpin to stay on, he's perfect depth if nothing else but he's not the 9 to run a team. We need to go hard for a good 9, whether that's one of the Braileys, Mahoney, or B. Smith but we desperately need more from that position.

At the reported 300k, I'd be happy for Turpin to stay on, he's perfect depth if nothing else but he's not the 9 to run a team. We need to go hard for a good 9, whether that's one of the Braileys, Mahoney, or B. Smith but we desperately need more from that position.
Agree, but like McCullough if you have a 7 you can work off those attacking deficiencies aren’t as bad. When McCullough is partnered with Ben Hunt they have a synergy that allows both to play better.

I think Turpin is over-rated. I didn’t see these wonderful things that everyone was seeing when they wanted Macca turfed for him, but he is no mug. If he had a half that knew what they were doing it might make his job a whole lot easier.

If there is no quality 9 on the market Turpin is good enough to play along side a quality half.

Exactly.
Getting match fit and doing 80mn consistently without letting up in defence, Kevvie does a 360 and wastes a spot in the 30 and on the bench for Levi.

Our biggest problem is unforced errors and lots of them. It gifts possession and field position to the opposition and leaves us gassed from so much tackling. This is then magnified by the new 6 again rule which rewards the teams that hold the ball and let's face it is a lottery depending on who the ref is.

Turpin isn't as good as the best 9's in the game but he is also pretty mistake free and I don't believe he is where our problems lie.

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong but Isaako, Flegler, Lodge and Coates drop more ball consistently than anyone in the team and this is where Kevvy needs to concentrate on. By hanging onto the pill we went with the competition leaders Penrith for 70 minutes but eventually their gun halves won them the game. Just fixing our ball control and possession won't get us into the top 8 but will get us off the bottom of the table giving our young team some confidence and allow Kevvy to work on our attack/defence.

I think billy walters wasn't an option anymore that's why Levi came about, and we need more from our 9. Am unsure why paix hasn't got a go yet , maybe Kevvie thinks he needs more time.

nah forget that shit. Listen I think Turpin is giving us exactly what McCullough gave us: reliable service and excellent middle D.

It's acknowledged that at this stage with this team in this form that Turpin's role is basically defensive. McCullough was sacrificed on Seibold's alter of 'something is not right with the team's attack, my spreadsheet says it must be the hooker'. We all went along with this to some extent until finally the bleeding obvious bled through: it was Milford all along.

Anyway leave all this aside. Levi does not bring a single improvement over Turpin. Turpin can at least compete for 80 and block up the middle; Levi can't even do that. So why have him on the bench?

With hindsight we should have kept McCullough, if we had, would there be any need for Levi? Definitely not, and the same goes for Turpin imo.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • BroncosAlways
  • simplythebest
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bb_gun
  • lynx000
  • Gaz
  • peter09
  • Scorchie
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.