Broncos' stuttering attack needs time: Oates

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Broncos winger Corey Oates has urged Brisbane fans to give his side's stuttering left edge time as they struggle to discover the form that saw Oates score 18 tries last season.

Oates has only crossed the line once so far in 2017, with five-eighth Anthony Milford out of form and failing to threaten in attack.

The off-season arrival of Tautau Moga after the retirement of Jack Reed has compounded Milford's struggles, with Milford and Moga struggling to gel as an attacking combination on the Broncos' left.

Moga arrived from the North Queensland Cowboys in October last year with the Broncos expecting big things from the hulking centre, but the 23-year-old has failed to make an impact in his four games this year and is yet to score a try.

In fact, Brisbane's left side has only managed two tries all year, with five coming up the centre and four coming on the right.

It leaves the Broncos with the worst attack out of any side in the top eight, scoring just 71 points in four matches.

This ranks Brisbane's attack at 13th in the NRL, with only the Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigers, and this week's opponents the Canterbury Bulldogs having scored less.

But an optimistic Oates told NRL.com that he believes the best of the Broncos' attack isn't far away.

"We've got Tautau there and he's a new centre. We are all still trying to get used to each other and that takes time," Oates said.

"We've had Jack Reed there for a few years so it takes time to get used to a new combination.

"We are on the right track and I'm looking forward to what we can do going forward.

"It's always tough playing with new teammates. It takes a bit of time to get your timing right and gel together. It's not the easiest thing to do.

"We are getting there so I'm hoping it clicks soon. Everyone is playing good footy but it's just not showing on the scoreboard."

Despite Oates's positivity, there is no doubting that Wayne Bennett will be wanting more from his livewire five-eighth Milford.

The 22-year-old has just one try assist in four matches and is struggling to kick-start the running game that made him so dangerous in recent years.

Milford is averaging just 82 running metres per game in 2017, a drop from the 117 he averaged in 2016.

With some media outlets recently criticising his work ethic at training, the No.6 needs to perform and prove the doubters wrong. And Oates is of the belief that this will happen when Milford lets go of the criticism and plays with a clear head, imploring his teammate to focus only on what he can control.

"I don't think Milford's lost his form. I think he's just got too many things going through his head," Oates said.

"'Milf' is a great player. He plays his heart out every week. I think he's just got to ignore any off-field distractions and put those criticisms behind him.

"He has the confidence in him and he always plays hard. It's the same for me so we both need to work on a few things.

"We can't focus on the success we've had in the past because it's about the future."

And as for whether Oates will cross the line this week...

"I hope so! I just really want a meat pie. Three games without one is too long," he said.

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-stuttering-attack-needs-time-oates/tabid/10874/newsid/105136/default.aspx

Would it be worth giving Pangai a shot at centre given that Moga really hasn't shown much of are they just waiting for Opacic?

Would it be worth giving Pangai a shot at centre given that Moga really hasn't shown much of are they just waiting for Opacic?
Perhaps, I'm not sure Pangai can bring anything extra to the table from what I've seen. Moga probably has a bit more class about him and is a stronger runner.

Hopefully just waiting for Opacic
I still think Kahu could do the job at centre though

Prefer Seve
On a side note, We have a number of 190cm+ back up centres

I think we'd get torn apart in D with Issaako or Seve wouldn't we? We are already struggling with Thaiday's lateral movement and heavy targets on Milf. Give Moga two more weeks before we really assess and by that time Opacic might be ready also.

Moga has been alright in D but he has had a few silly misses and has had is ads saved by Oates a few times rushing up and fucking killing the centre ie Chambers. Quality play from Oates.

Does anyone have a status on Opacic? I have not heard a peep.

No way. His impact off the bench is huge for us atm. He is quickly turning into our Taumalolo

Prefer Seve
On a side note, We have a number of 190cm+ back up centres

Based on the game I saw late last year I would not have rated Seve but he did go quite well in the trial against Wynnum and for South's tv game. He looks bigger than last year but I've not seen enough to be sure.

The commentators were saying he is the only one who could keep up with James Roberts.

**** me have a look at the meters Moga and Oates are making out of our own half.

Can no one remember how shit our sets have been coming out of our own end for the last 3 or so years. Moga is averaging almost 130m a game good fucking luck getting that out of Opa and co.

There is rarely a set where Oates and Moga aren't making a hit up and this is helping our go forward massively. Look at where we're taking kicks from now instead of struggling to the 50m and putting in a shit mid field bomb we're getting there on 4th and kicking off the front foot.

There are clear changes in our offense this year mainly early kicks into the in goal and Darius playing down the right a lot.

I don't see how moga is the root cause of our ineptness down the left. I put it down to Milf's poor form, the change in tactics and the left sweep being largely ineffective or shut down. With the main players for the sweep being 6, 1 and 11.

Hunt is also in great form which may be a reason why more ball is going down the right

Yeah, I'm not understanding why everyone is so keen to drop Moga already.

The bloke is doing pretty damn well for someone who has played as little as he has over the past few seasons.

I think we need to persist with him.

Yeah, I'm not understanding why everyone is so keen to drop Moga already.

The bloke is doing pretty damn well for someone who has played as little as he has over the past few seasons.

I think we need to persist with him.

Cause he has scored a thousand tries yet!

Oates is hungry to score some tries. Sort it out Milford.

Oates should go looking ala semi R late in games...just charge him in off a set play inside ball.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • NSW stables
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.