NEWS Broncos to field star studded Nines team

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Chris Honnery writes in The Courier-Mail tomorrow:

The Nines tournament will be played in Perth on February 14-15, the same weekend the Broncos play the CQ Capras in Rockhampton.

Although the Perth Nines team will not be offically announced until next week, expect the following to attend the week long camp preceding the two day comp: David Fifita, Payne Haas, Tom Flegler, Anthony Milford, Xavier Coates and Herbie Farnworth. No mention of Corey Parker.

Seibold says the competition is good prep for the season proper:

“We think it suits a lot of our players. David (Fifita) came back raving about it after his experience with the Kangaroos in the Nines. He’s been asking me almost every day, when are we going to start training for the Nines. I’ve told Dave, we’re not training for the Nines until the week of the Nines. He really enjoyed it. When Dave came back (from the World Cup Nines), he couldn’t wait to play. He’s telling me what tactics we should be doing.”

“We won’t send too many forwards, and David will be one of the forwards. David was outstanding for Australia in the World Nines. He broke a lot of one-on-one tackles and that’s a real strength of his. One of the things was, David came back from Australia in the Nines and I asked him what he learned and he said you don’t need too many forwards – you only need three or four forwards. When our squad comes out, you’ll see there’s only a couple of forwards but the forwards we will have will be guys like (Tom) Flegler, Haas and Fifita.”

“We want to represent the club as best we can. “We’d like to go over and give a good account of ourselves.”

Fifita has also been selected in the NRL All Stars Indigenous team to play the Maoris All Stars on Feb 22 at Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.

McHunt

Last edited:
I would love to see Dearden and Isaako head over and play. Milf too. Just to see where they’re at.

You can't avoid them in trials and training because these are needed for your season. However, you can avoid injuries in a preseason tournament in a different format. I don't enjoy the nines but I don't want to kill everyone else's buzz. I just hope we don't suffer a big injury.

Dearden said he thinks he is going in the latest interview on Broncos.com

Can't wait to see what Darius can do with a bit more space......

He is better at creating space...

Can't wait to see what Darius can do with a bit more space......
Yeh poor ol’ Darius.

Whilst he’s never been blessed with blinding pace, it’s fair to say he’s more kerosene lantern than electric these days.

I think bringing home a 9's cup regardless of what people think about the tournament, will go aways to repair the hurt of 58-0. I'm glad they're going to take it a bit serious.

Last edited:

Active Now

• theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
  • westy316
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.