18 PATRICK AH VAN
20 RUSSELL PACKER

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/268/ropa ... ane-clash/

the player that concerns me most is the bloke in the #10 jumper eusa_think

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Some people on this thread need to take a really good look at themselves and their negativity if they think this is our worst pack. Apart from Kenny being out I actually really like that pack and particularly like the look of Glenn in the backrow where he belongs and Maguire up front where he belongs. The rest of the pack are our first starters for the majority of the season, and the backline if they all play is our first choice backline.

The bench though I do agree is a worry.

Also interesting to note that Michael Luck is named as vice-captain, is that usual, or is it an indication that Price is actually in doubt and unlikely to play as I reckoned in SOO2 he was carrying an injury in the game.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Our side isn't too bad. Bench is crap though.

I'd rather have Gorrell, Tunza, Sweeney and Williams.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I believe it's common as Price doesn't last the 80.

U

uji

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
I'm not re-sold on signing Carroll either... Like, at all.
Don't get me wrong, he is one of my all-time fav broncos...But.
Has he trained all year? Has he been around the team much at all this year or selling houses to that guy on this forum?
It reminds me of when we bought back Darren Smith from east tigers a few years back, a desperate move from a desperate team. Even then Darren Smith was tearing up Q-Cup (as was the Pearl). They look to an old-school player to bring old-school discipline. It's not a long-term solution... Chances are it won't even be a short-term one.
Once again, nothing but respect to TC, but if he wanted to go around one more time I'm sure he would have made that decision last year. Even up until last year I thought he was one of our best performers...
I just don't see what is good about this move.

H

HITMAN82

BRL Player
Jun 4, 2008
Big Pete said:
I believe it's common as Price doesn't last the 80.
Correct... not for lack of fitness though; Price just wants to give the mortal props a chance to play some football too. God is gracious.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I thought Darren Smith got at least a try a game when he came back?

Warriors 38 - Broncos 12

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
HITMAN82 said:
Fact: We can't score more than 14 points.
This is true, it was painful watching you guys play the Knights a few weeks back. [icon_non

U

uji

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
What's your point Nashy?
I said Darren Smith was in great form in the Q-Cup, which he had been playing in all year (and maybe even the year before that?) before getting the call-up to help the broncs out in second-row/centre...
There's a big difference between that, and someone who hasn't played all year, and likely hasn't trained that much either...
Anyway, we will see, i'm sure TC will play great when he does play, he is a champion, but its a backwards step.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
uji has a point.

When Darren Smith received the call up he was playing some great football in the Queensland Cup and helped restore the East Tigers as title contenders. Bennett saw this and brought him into the Broncos where his attitude helped his players to perform at a consistent level and I believe he outplayed a number of our forwards especially in the back end of 05 when he developed a superb combination with Brent Tate. The point is Darren Smith never left the game, he wasn't past playing first grade either and still had something to give and I believe his natural leadership helped the Broncos develop.

Tonie Carroll on the other hand was well past it in 2008. All that wear and tear had finally caught up to Tunza who languished in the role of a workhorse. He started showing some signs of improvement, especially against the Sharks (in a match Eastwood absolutely rocked in) but unfortunately consistensy was an issue and by the grand final, Tonie's time was well and truly up.

That's not to say I hate the bloke, hell he seem's like a hell of a character and I loved it when he took that kick against Newcastle in Round 26 and still have that plastic cut-out of his face, I just don't believe Henjack should subject Carroll to anymore game time and instead of resorting to knee jerk reactions, should actually find an adequate solution to his problems either with a shake up similar to that in 06 where Bennett began to tinker with the side or blood talent who have been performing in the Queensland Cup.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
It seems to me you guys are missing the point.

I don't think Henjak wants Tonie to go out and play hard and win us matches, I think he wants him in the team to lend some footy experience to the young guys. Look at our pack, Clinton, Parker & Thaiday are the experienced guys and they wouldn't be considered "old heads" of the game. Someone like Tonie Carroll will show the guys how to muscle up and withstand those hard periods in the game. Just having him in the team will help the young guys' confidence just by being on the bench.

I don't think he's being brought into save the club and get us to the grand final. That is Darren Lockyer's job.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Depends. If he can come on and put on some big hits and instill a great attitude in defence, he'd be handy. I just get the feeling he's going to be an also-ran and add next to nothing.

B

Beale

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2008
Put it this way. Carroll will only be playing 25-30 minutes - which is all that Setu/Taylor/Sims have been offering us. Im sure Carroll will bring a little bit of sting, experience & passion - which will be more than what those other 3 players have been doing.
Im all for it. Id rather TC playing 30 mins rather than those 3.
Remember TC played 75-80 mins every game last year, its only 6 months later and if he's only playing 30 minutes im sure he'll do a great job.
Not to mention the confidence he will bring to the team by just having him around, and im sure locky will feel a bit of ease knowing TC will be out there at some point to lend him a hand

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I fail to see how having TC on the bench is going to make the 13 on the park tackle any better or make better decisions in D. Is he a really good cheerer?
This is such a desperate move by all concerned, its not like they're bringing him into to fix a problem relating to 1 position, the whole pack gets bitch slapped every game.
Maybe they are trying to humiliate our forwards into stepping up.

B

blox_party

BRL Player
May 3, 2009
Dexter said:
I fail to see how having TC on the bench is going to make the 13 on the park tackle any better or make better decisions in D. Is he a really good cheerer?
This is such a desperate move by all concerned, its not like they're bringing him into to fix a problem relating to 1 position, the whole pack gets bitch slapped every game.
Maybe they are trying to humiliate our forwards into stepping up.

The 30 odd minutes that TC will be on the field his presence will lift the other forwards and his experience will help the boys to lift. He'll also be able to give pointers/encouragement/forward experience at training each day (im assuming and hoping he will anyway)

Active Now

• whykickamoocow
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • DMZ
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • Mister Wright
  • Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.