NEWS Broncos won't match massive Oates offer

I could understand if he went to the Storm or a team right up there, but it's only loser clubs interested. Parra, NQ, Bulldogs. He'd want to earn big cash if he takes the money cause the contract after is going to be pretty average imo.

Who said anything about not having the cash? No-one said that. We aren't paying 700K for a winger and he won't be playing in the forwards here so cash is irrelevant.

Ah...actually Wayne and many other people and this idea of a winger isn't worth as much as a forward is stupid. A player has worth and contributes which factors into more wins or losses or they don't. That was my point anyways. I could care less what position someone plays if they positively impact the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah...actually Wayne and many other people and this idea of a winger isn't worth as much as a forward is stupid. A player has worth and contributes which factors into more wins or losses or they don't. That was my point anyways. I could care less what position someone plays if they positively impact the side.
Like Radrardra

Last edited by a moderator:
Oates has been one of my favourite players of recent years and I understand his desire to want to play his preferred position.

That being said, the longer this drags on the less I care. No player should be at the club if they don’t truly want to.

It’s like knowing when the spark is gone in your relationship, and you have to man up and call it a day.

Oates has been one of my favourite players of recent years and I understand his desire to want to play his preferred position.

That being said, the longer this drags on the less I care. No player should be at the club if they don’t truly want to.

It’s like knowing when the spark is gone in your relationship, and you have to man up and call it a day.
So have you lost your spark for him now then?

Paying big money for a winger is how shit teams get themselves into cap trouble. I love Oates as much as the next guy but you just can't do it.

He could earn at least 40% more elsewhere and he would be crazy to knock that back. He would be an astronomical loss but he has to chase the [emoji383] because before he knows it, his career will be over. He may even get a shot in the second row at his new club. There are too many positives for him career wise to ignore and that is why he won't be a Bronco in 2019.

Potentially, yeah, but it's not all cut and dried

No matter how much money the Dogs offer him, I don't think it's a positive career move (just as an example)

People often think that more money is always better, but those people are usually earning 60 or 80 grand a year

But when you are earning NRL money, assuming you have a reasonably long career, the difference between earning 400 a year and 700 a year might be a million dollars or so (depending how many years you earned the top rate)

So maybe you retire with 3 million dollars in the bank and a premiership, or you retire with 4-5 mill in the bank and maybe no premiership

Once you have more than 2 mill in the bank it really doesn't matter if you have more, or how much more

A couple of very simple investments and you are set for life

Oates is easily one of the Broncos most consistent players. Will be sad to see him go.

Paying big money for a winger is how shit teams get themselves into cap trouble. I love Oates as much as the next guy but you just can't do it.

Depends on the definition of big money tbh. A player like Semi, for example had such a massive impact for that side, I'd say he was worth every cent.

Potentially, yeah, but it's not all cut and dried

No matter how much money the Dogs offer him, I don't think it's a positive career move (just as an example)

People often think that more money is always better, but those people are usually earning 60 or 80 grand a year

But when you are earning NRL money, assuming you have a reasonably long career, the difference between earning 400 a year and 700 a year might be a million dollars or so (depending how many years you earned the top rate)

So maybe you retire with 3 million dollars in the bank and a premiership, or you retire with 4-5 mill in the bank and maybe no premiership

Once you have more than 2 mill in the bank it really doesn't matter if you have more, or how much more

A couple of very simple investments and you are set for life
All very good points. You also invested in real estate before the boom early in the millennium. Well played, my man.

Look I love Oates as a player, I really do, what he brings to the team will be invaluable going forward with the ever shrinking interchange bench, but I'm starting to get a tad sick of this as well.

He swears black and blue that he is a second rower and wants to play there to prove it. That's fine, but just completely dismissing the quality talent he has as a winger isn't exactly a wise decision either. We already KNOW he's a great winger, he's proven it already and he can make his entire career there. 2nd row is the opposite, unproven, would need to go to a gypsy club in order to play there, risks complete obscurity if the experiment fails OR gets moved back to the wing with his new club and the whole saga officially becomes laughable and especially frustrating for the Broncos and their supporters.

In short, Oates should seriously reconsider how important playing 2nd row is to him, as the risks far outweigh the possible rewards. As a Broncs supporter who very much wants to keep him, if he goes to a flog club like the Dogs or Parra, plays 2nd row for a few months then is permanently shifted back to the wing anyway, I will be massively pissed off.

The bloke just wants to play in the position he prefers. I don't see the issue. Wayne simply doesn't want to play him there to prove himself so I don't see why he would want to hang around. I can see him ending up as part of the cowboys rebuild.

Look I love Oates as a player, I really do, what he brings to the team will be invaluable going forward with the ever shrinking interchange bench, but I'm starting to get a tad sick of this as well.

He swears black and blue that he is a second rower and wants to play there to prove it. That's fine, but just completely dismissing the quality talent he has as a winger isn't exactly a wise decision either. We already KNOW he's a great winger, he's proven it already and he can make his entire career there. 2nd row is the opposite, unproven, would need to go to a gypsy club in order to play there, risks complete obscurity if the experiment fails OR gets moved back to the wing with his new club and the whole saga officially becomes laughable and especially frustrating for the Broncos and their supporters.

In short, Oates should seriously reconsider how important playing 2nd row is to him, as the risks far outweigh the possible rewards. As a Broncs supporter who very much wants to keep him, if he goes to a flog club like the Dogs or Parra, plays 2nd row for a few months then is permanently shifted back to the wing anyway, I will be massively pissed off.
Looking at from his perspective, if he was to end up on the wing at some flog club he would at least be another couple of hundred dollars better off than if he stayed at the Broncos. I'm hoping his father-in-law is able to balaance getting what's best for Corey with what's best for his career. Not many Sydeny clubs can offer him a life after football surrounded by his loved ones.

Why can’t we just bring Staggs on and move Oates to second row for a stint to see how he goes.

The bloke just wants to play in the position he prefers. I don't see the issue. Wayne simply doesn't want to play him there to prove himself so I don't see why he would want to hang around. I can see him ending up as part of the cowboys rebuild.

Hasn't Wayne said it's an ongoing joke and that he knows hus position is wing . He also played fullback and wing in hus juniors, only 20's he played backrow.

Hasn't Wayne said it's an ongoing joke and that he knows hus position is wing . He also played fullback and wing in hus juniors, only 20's he played backrow.

I actually think Wayne means he knows Wayne sees him as a winger with Brisbane. I know for a fact Corey sees himself as a forward. Havent ever seen much about him playing fullback and wing, but it depends what age you are talking about. From what i know most of his football from his mid teens onwards the majority have been in the forwards until we stuck him on the wing.

Hey I'm looking for the sewing circle.....am I in the right place?????

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • spanky
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • Mr Fourex
  • marw
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • kman
  • Culhwch
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.