Broncos Youth Players and Young Guns coming through.

Remember though, it took the Panthers 5+ years and 2 coaches to get where they are today by going down the pure development route.

Broncos fans don't have that patience.
When you say that "Broncos fans don't have that patience" I think that's a pretty bland and subjective opinion to state.

Even if the supporter base gets seriously agitated it seldom materializes as anything tangible that directly impinges on the clubs ability to move forward.

Sure, we'll get an inundation of whingers from time to time, but I think your average supporter just wants to see the club do well, and if it takes a number of years to realise a particular goal then so be it.

Sure, some fans may stop attending games and it will marginally effect the club's bottom line however, the salary handout form he NRL is not impacted regardless of crowd numbers. If it did almost all Sydney clubs would already be wound up.

The little numbers that we do lose from re-building soon come pouring back through the gates when the club starts to play decent footy again.

With DD, Ikin and Kevvie at the helm we have the makings of a great collaborative team. Kevvie may be seen as the club jester, but there is a big difference between a jester and a fool. In short, I think we have patience. We do however, not suffer fools gladly.

I think we were just simply poor in our retention and with our salary cap management. We also let too many experienced players go that led to these young guys getting their spot before they earned it.
I think we just put our faith in the wrong experienced players and didnt move them on early enough. It got to the point where the guys with 100+ first grade games weren't up to standard or weren't leaders (Knik, Offa, Roberts, Macca, etc.).

I'm not putting Boyd in there, because he was good until doing his hammy in 2016/17 just before the finals series. From then on his body was broken and couldn't recover... but prior to that he was actually a player who had achieved something and had standing within the game amongst his teammates.

Gillett was similar where he was an automatic origin pick, playing for Australia and nominated as best second rower in the game.

These guys had credibility in the game and are players that the young guys had to look up to.

Pretty much everyone else in the group had achieved nothing... the transition should've occurred years before, but when they decided to do it, it was callous and cold, like a company takeover where they put a machete through the company.... at that point the players treated them like a company/business creating a horrendous team culture and costing us ones we wanted to keep, like DFifi

i think it was more we weren't developing them that got us in trouble
Not at all… that was Tom Dearden. The likes of Kotoni, Haas, Flegler, Carrigan, Fifita, Coates all emerged throughout that time not bad at all. Our issue was instead of putting an experienced spine around them they chucked Tom Dearden in. Albert Kelly and Tyson Gamble of all people showed us that was where we got it VERY wrong. 1 player not the whole bunch. We also did have some toxic characters and a shit coach but that’s another story and it definitely does not take away from the fact that most of these players were developed and developed well. Just the overall approach of dump experience and throw the youth in the deep end didn’t work.

Not at all… that was Tom Dearden. The likes of Kotoni, Haas, Flegler, Carrigan, Fifita, Coates all emerged throughout that time not bad at all. Our issue was instead of putting an experienced spine around them they chucked Tom Dearden in. Albert Kelly and Tyson Gamble of all people showed us that was where we got it VERY wrong. 1 player not the whole bunch. We also did have some toxic characters and a shit coach but that’s another story and it definitely does not take away from the fact that most of these players were developed and developed well. Just the overall approach of dump experience and throw the youth in the deep end didn’t work.
that is what I meant, we did them injuctice with not having the right people around them. development doesn't stop when you break into first grade, most of them were brought into the starting side to early. the only ones that could be exceptions are Haas and Staggs.

that is what I meant, we did them injuctice with not having the right people around them. development doesn't stop when you break into first grade, most of them were brought into the starting side to early. the only ones that could be exceptions are Haas and Staggs.
Yeah that is true but I don’t know if you noticed that 4 have played for their state and 2 of them are definitely of the standard and one of them have captained our club. Didn’t stop at first grade for ANY of them. Not to mention one of them is the highest paid player in the comp. Undeservedly but he obviously accomplished something to warrant being in that bracket. Everyone on that list have been developed very well and efficiently considering there age, ability and accomplishments in such short time.

Yeah that is true but I don’t know if you noticed that 4 have played for their state and 2 of them are definitely of the standard and one of them have captained our club. Didn’t stop at first grade for ANY of them. Not to mention one of them is the highest paid player in the comp. Undeservedly but he obviously accomplished something to warrant being in that bracket. Everyone on that list have been developed very well and efficiently considering there age, ability and accomplishments in such short time.
true but most have come about from circumstance, no way should flegler or coates should have played origin even Fifita gor in on potential. as for Carrigan as captain im not even going to go there.
it's not a matter of not being developed but being developed properly most of them wouldn't have started if it wasn't from our fall from grace , certain players retiring early and having a lack of quality.
we've had a great deal of quality juniors come through at one time and we've dropped the ball by trying to keep them all , instead of building around them . only now I think we will start to see them flurish.

true but most have come about from circumstance, no way should flegler or coates should have played origin even Fifita gor in on potential. as for Carrigan as captain im not even going to go there.
it's not a matter of not being developed but being developed properly most of them wouldn't have started if it wasn't from our fall from grace , certain players retiring early and having a lack of quality.
we've had a great deal of quality juniors come through at one time and we've dropped the ball by trying to keep them all , instead of building around them . only now I think we will start to see them flurish.
Every single one of them would start at 90% of other clubs. Coates is starting at Storm. Fifita starts at Titans until they choose to use his impact off the bench. Carrigan is a great leader and no matter what club he is at would be regarded as a future captain. Kotoni Staggs is the most destructive centre in the comp by the size of Tom Hanks Forehead. Not a single centre in the comp I would take over Staggs (maybe Olam). Tom Flegler whilst probably didn’t deserve to play Origin the reality is he did and would be a valued member at any team. You wouldn’t see the Storm or Roosters think twice about signing him. As for saying Fifita shouldn’t have played Origin is just ludicrous. The man is so destructive and it just so happens he was out of form when he last played Origin this year. Finally, Payne Haas I don’t even need to speak another word.

Whilst some of them are overvalued monetarily every single one of them would be vital to any team in there own way. Only player on that list you would have any case for is Flegler and still to this day the man has shown he has great impact and ability however has no discipline. It’s not even like you can stand there and fault his effort, he has so many features to his game that are the makings of a great player we just choose to judge him as a result of his discipline which has very little to do with overall player development during that period.

Just look at there age and compare them to all the players in that age bracket and there in the conversation for the best of the best. As for in the entire nrl you have Payne Haas who is by a country mile the best forward and Kotoni is the most destructive outside back and in my opinion the best centre. They got developed fucken well, just sadly we lost 2 of them to over paying scum bags.

I think we all view that development group as a failure due to the fact that recruitment and retention failed to provide consistent, experienced and valuable members to construct a squad. Apart from the construction of our squad being a total failure through that period and retention of other young players being poor to have developed some of the best players in the comp during that period and come out of it with 4 of 6 of them (and keeping the best one possibly 2) is pretty impressive.

I completely get where your coming from but your viewing that development group of players as far more incompetent than it actually is when really I don’t think any team apart from the Panthers rival us in youth development over those years and we came last and third last and they had a Premiership and Minor Premiership next to there names. We have a great squad and we are probably another good spine player (whether that be Cobbo, Mam or Mozer in a few years) away from really shaking up the comp with the squad we have. Seibold and co may have been unwise with some of there decisions but at least now we are in a good position. After our numerous years of failings up the top of the ladder it was almost time for a shake up of our squad and sadly it got stuffed up through poor choices and we suffered for 2 years but in the long run it might be worth it. You never know.

Every single one of them would start at 90% of other clubs. Coates is starting at Storm. Fifita starts at Titans until they choose to use his impact off the bench. Carrigan is a great leader and no matter what club he is at would be regarded as a future captain. Kotoni Staggs is the most destructive centre in the comp by the size of Tom Hanks Forehead. Not a single centre in the comp I would take over Staggs (maybe Olam). Tom Flegler whilst probably didn’t deserve to play Origin the reality is he did and would be a valued member at any team. You wouldn’t see the Storm or Roosters think twice about signing him. As for saying Fifita shouldn’t have played Origin is just ludicrous. The man is so destructive and it just so happens he was out of form when he last played Origin this year. Finally, Payne Haas I don’t even need to speak another word.

Whilst some of them are overvalued monetarily every single one of them would be vital to any team in there own way. Only player on that list you would have any case for is Flegler and still to this day the man has shown he has great impact and ability however has no discipline. It’s not even like you can stand there and fault his effort, he has so many features to his game that are the makings of a great player we just choose to judge him as a result of his discipline which has very little to do with overall player development during that period.

Just look at there age and compare them to all the players in that age bracket and there in the conversation for the best of the best. As for in the entire nrl you have Payne Haas who is by a country mile the best forward and Kotoni is the most destructive outside back and in my opinion the best centre. They got developed fucken well, just sadly we lost 2 of them to over paying scum bags.

I think we all view that development group as a failure due to the fact that recruitment and retention failed to provide consistent, experienced and valuable members to construct a squad. Apart from the construction of our squad being a total failure through that period and retention of other young players being poor to have developed some of the best players in the comp during that period and come out of it with 4 of 6 of them (and keeping the best one possibly 2) is pretty impressive.

I completely get where your coming from but your viewing that development group of players as far more incompetent than it actually is when really I don’t think any team apart from the Panthers rival us in youth development over those years and we came last and third last and they had a Premiership and Minor Premiership next to there names. We have a great squad and we are probably another good spine player (whether that be Cobbo, Mam or Mozer in a few years) away from really shaking up the comp with the squad we have. Seibold and co may have been unwise with some of there decisions but at least now we are in a good position. After our numerous years of failings up the top of the ladder it was almost time for a shake up of our squad and sadly it got stuffed up through poor choices and we suffered for 2 years but in the long run it might be worth it. You never know.
never said that they are incompetent or not quality, i think you're taking my negative feedback as bagging them but I'm not.
my point is that they should have been prepared better for the rigours of the NRL, not just being thrown in the deep end and physically and emotionally beat down. that is imo part of your development as a player, I'm definitely not doubting any of their abilities.

I believe it came down to the fact we backed the wrong horses. We chose players like Boyd, McCullough,Milford and Glenn to be our experienced leaders. Obviously they all failed once Bennett left us.

Particularly Milford and Macca turning out to be duds hurt us. They were meant to be our strong spine into the future. Both ended up being released due to poor form.

Fullback/five eight Jye Gray who is from the Gold Coast is going to play for Souths Logan U18 MM Cup this season.

Fullback/five eight Jye Gray who is from the Gold Coast is going to play for Souths Logan U18 MM Cup this season.
Is he that little guy that tore it up in the city vs country match?

Bronco's U19's are playing Titans U19's on the Gold Coast late this month, should be an interesting clash.
Bit of buzz around this kid Alofi'ana Khan-Pereira, reportedly broke the Titan's speed record at 36.5km/h. Think he's turned 20, and newly a father, so probably not in this match.

ScreenugpvXMUYdg 7xaIaxEWou1 CJYtNPTgAntMWEol2gD8

Yes Jye Gray was a stand out in the City/Country and also dominated a number of matches in the GPS school boy rugby competition.

Ethan Quai-Ward was signed to the Broncos late last year, but I cannot see him named in either as a 2022 Broncos Development Player nor in the top 30. I am aware that he had a wrist injury and had surgery in late 21. Is anyone able to give an update on this player?

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.