Mar 12, 2008
Nominees
Kerrod Walters - 1988-1996, 2000
Andrew McCullough - 2008-Present
Luke Priddis - 1999-2001
Shaun Berrigan - 1999-2007
John Plath - 1990-1999
Michael Ennis - 2006-2008

If you select other, please identify the player in this thread.

Other.

Aaron Gorrell.

Voted for Kerrod.

A safe choice in a fairly competitive field. Kerrod was a big part of the early years for the Broncos, nudging Greg Conescu from his spot at dummy half before going onto represent Australia. His work around the dummy half kept the opposition on their toes and he added plenty of spark in the middle of the ruck which during those times was considered the Broncos biggest weakness.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Berrigan, but Shaun was the victim of his own talent and versatility. If Shaun had have put his head down and made a play for the hooking role in let's say 2003, I think he wins this poll. However, he didn't really become a recognised dummy half until 2006, even though his dummy half running was arguably his strongest attribute.

Priddis was in the same ball-park as Kerrod and would go onto do bigger and better things but as a Bronco, I don't think he did enough to unseat Kerrod. Very similar players.

Ennis represents the new breed of hookers where most of them now are like extra playmakers where as before that was a fairly rare attribute. On talent, you could make the argument he was better than Kerrod but really, he only had one really good season here and even then, we were bundled out in the second week of the finals all things considered even.

McCullough has played the second most amount of games as a hooker and has more strings to his bow, but his running game isn't as strong as Kerrod's and his time at dummy half has been through a low period. I considered leaving him off since I don't think he'll receive that many votes to begin with but kept him because I still think he's got a future at the club and I'll be interested to see a comparison down the track. Whether he did win the faithful on here or not.

Plath was a fan favourite and a really handy utility. I think it's pretty clear he was inferior to Kerrod in their time but there's a crowd out there that likes players of his ilk and I think somebody who had such longevity at the club, even off the bench deserved recognition.

Couple of notable omissions:

Barry Berrigan - Is ranked fifth as far as appearances go. Barry is a case of what could have been. A very solid all-round centre who had his moments, particularly against the Roosters in 2005.

Greg Conescu - The Broncos first ever hooker and one of their first ever reps. Conescu would be right up there as far as 'Best Queensland Hookers' are concerned but his time at the club was limited.

Casey McGuire - Like Plath, a very handy utility player who managed to play Origin and of course had a role in our match-winning try in the GF. Just didn't get the game-time the others did.

Phillip Lee - Won a premiership there and was a handy fill-in but that's all he was. Lee was a ball-playing lock with very little luck.

PJ Marsh - If only because he represented Queensland while playing for us. Marsh was an odd signing in the sense that he was more or less treated like a replacement for Berrigan. That's why I think he was selected in 08 despite missing games through injury - they just wanted a player who could fill Berro's role. Unfortunately, Marsh was past it by then, which is true about his Broncos career. Still, I'll remember him for his big hit in a Dragons game in 08.

Last edited:
Kerrod and let's not forget without him we couldn't enjoy hey hey we're the Broncos

Last edited:
I voted for Walters too. Berrigan should be the first picked for the bench though.

I voted for Priddis purely because I think he is the best Hooker we ever had. Might not have been here long, but damn he was fantastic. Probably should've given it to Walters, but I love Priddis as a player.

I probably would have considered Priddis or Berrigan's vote chance better personally if both played longer terms there which makes it much more clear cut to go with Kerrod because he showed consistency there over a longer period.

You know, I just remembered something - Shaun Berrigan played centre for Australia in 2004. What does that have to do with this thread? Not much, but damn, I'd almost completely forgotten!

I went with Priddis. Supremely talented hooker, and it's a damn shame he was only here for a short while.

Walters was before my time. Berrigan would definitely be my first pick on the bench for his utility value.

And to think, Priddis being at the club cost us Smith..

I went with Kerrod. Mainly because of success reasons, but because I don't think Priddis did quite enough in his short time at the club to get the spot over Kerrod.

I too selected Walters but Priddis and Ennis were excellent players as well. McCullough is not in the same class as any of those three.

I voted for Priddis with Walters a very close second with a bit of daylight before Berrigan at third.

Walters was an excellent player but as someone old enough to have watched his career with us i felt like he really dipped in form towards the end of his first stint with us before going to play for Adelaide, that probably clouds my judgement of him.

I thought Priddis was just excellent for us and was one of the few players i was genuinely upset about losing.

Voted for Walters

Ennis and Priddis were also both good hookers although i was happy when Ennis left as i hated seeing him trying to milk penalties, unfortunately the practise is prevalent now.

Willing to give Macca the benefit of the doubt until i see whether his style changes slightly under different coaching

For me it came down to a choice between either Walters or Priddis, IMO the 2 best hookers we have had at the club.

I voted for Walters, his longevity as Broncos hooker gives him the nod over Priddis.

Last edited:
Plath will be my first choice for #14.

Priddis was in my opinion the most talented, but I can't go past K. Walters.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • mrslong
  • Bish
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.