RUMOUR Bulldogs' fire sale

JFH? OMG don't you mean RFM? LOL.

Would take Faitala Mariner, seems a real goer, though our back row stocks are pretty flush.

Brenko would definitely be worth a shot, has great potential as a centre, probably would flourish in a good system. Montoya seems solid too, though as a rookie I suspect he's not worth them offloading.
Haha yep no idea why I said Fisher-Harris... fail

Still too early on a Monday morning

Big YES to Fualalo. But I don't offloading him is gonna fix their cap mess.

I heard on 360 that Eastwood is on 800k next year :ihatethosestormplayers:

I heard that too. How the hell does that happen? Take the best game Eastwood has ever played in his life and he still wouldn't look like an 800k player. They must've been budgeting for a 50 million dollar cap.

I heard that too. How the hell does that happen? Take the best game Eastwood has ever played in his life and he still wouldn't look like an 800k player. They must've been budgeting for a 50 million dollar cap.

absolute cap mismanagement

Des seems to be good at some things, but he has done this before I think at Manly?

Des has become a rubbish coach but do coaches have much say when it comes to the salary cap? I mean, they aren't the accountants, would they know what all their players are on?

absolute cap mismanagement

Des seems to be good at some things, but he has done this before I think at Manly?

Wasn't there a bunch of back ended deals at Manly that caused them grief. Or was that Tooveys watch?

Wasn't there a bunch of back ended deals at Manly that caused them grief. Or was that Tooveys watch?

pretty sure they were Hasler's deals that caused Toovey grief .... because Hasler had gotten out by then

I would happily take Brenkon Lee, he's a player with great talent. I also think we chased him before he went to bulldogs.

Obviously another back-ended deal. The exact same drama that tore Manly apart. I thought the NRL was cracking down on them but apparently only selectively so.

It's a fair enough tactic to sign a young player who will improve, or to keep talent when a few big-dollar players are known to be retiring in a year or two. But neither of them apply to Eastwood's situation, just as it didn't apply to the Manly players. Des used back-ended deals on just about all the big-name players and it was spruiked as "staying for less money". In reality it was nothing but a cap-avoiding exercise.

Obviously another back-ended deal. The exact same drama that tore Manly apart. I thought the NRL was cracking down on them but apparently only selectively so.

It's a fair enough tactic to sign a young player who will improve, or to keep talent when a few big-dollar players are known to be retiring in a year or two. But neither of them apply to Eastwood's situation, just as it didn't apply to the Manly players. Des used back-ended deals on just about all the big-name players and it was spruiked as "staying for less money". In reality it was nothing but a cap-avoiding exercise.

I think it's more a case of buying that premiership window open a little longer, which of course comes back to bite you down the road and a clean out is the only real option.

Funnily enough, had Des got his chocolates in 12 or 14 I am sure he may have moved on again and the media would be asking if he's the next Jack Gibson.

I actually don't think Des's coaching style is overly different to Bennett's, the difference is his roster management. The media has been obsessed with the 'attacking shackles' Des has on his team, but really I think he's always coached a simplistic safe style, built on solid defence and getting the players into position that they can use their natural attacking instincts. Like Bennett, man management is a strength; I don't recall hearing much out of Manly re the ego's / divisions in the team until he left, and say what you will about the dogs for the last 18 months, but until a couple of weeks ago their defence could not be questiones. That's the sign of a team playing for the coach more so than any other in my opinion. It looks like he just lucked out into having the cattle for that game plan to work at Manly, whereas his weaknesses in recruitment etc have come to the fore at the Doggies.

I personally haven't been a fan of American style set ups with a general manager above the coach coming into the NRL, but I actually think Des would be great under that style system with someone of similar recruitment nouse as Bellamy or Bennett or Millward advice him.

pretty sure they were Hasler's deals that caused Toovey grief .... because Hasler had gotten out by then

I think Des gave Watmough and Glenn Stewart heavily backended deals which caused problems with the cap when Toovey took over and he got rid of them which caused the rift between the players and Toovey.

I could remembering it wrong.

I think Des gave Watmough and Glenn Stewart heavily backended deals which caused problems with the cap when Toovey took over and he got rid of them which caused the rift between the players and Toovey.

I could be remembering it wrong.

Sounds like we need an investigation ......

I tell you what though, he might be just what the Titans need, an angry nut who won't take rubbish from his players, no matter how good they think they might be.

The bulldogs need the spruker from the chaser to make another appearance for them

Active Now

• Browny
  • Xzei
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.