Bulls 2014/2015

A record bowing performance by my FootDr Queensland Bulls rookie allrounder Michael Philipson has been a highlight of the third day of play in the Bupa Sheffield Shield match against the Victorian Bushrangers at Traeger Park in Alice Springs.
Playing in just his third first class game for Queensland, Philipson became the first off-spinner to take seven wickets in an innings for Queensland, with his haul of 7-107 from 30 overs breaking a record that was set in Queensland’s inaugural first class match more than a century ago.
According to cricket historian and statistician Charlie Wat, the haul in the first ever Shield game to be staged in Alice Springs also delivered a number of other talking points:

• • The previous best in a Sheffield Shield match for Queensland was 6-65 by Graham Whyte against Western Australia at ‘the Gabba’ in 1976-77.
  • • And the first off spinner to take a five wicket haul for Queensland since Nathan Hauritz with 5-135 against Victoria at Melbourne in 2012-13.
  • • The first off spinner to take seven wickets in an innings in a Sheffield Shield match since Colin Miller took 7-49 for Tasmania against Victoria at Melbourne in 1997-98 – although he took some of those wickets bowling medium pace.
  • • The last to take seven bowling just off spin was Greg Matthews 7-99 NSW v Tasmania at Sydney in 1993-94.
Philipson, 28, is currently batting in the Bulls second innings with Peter Forrest in the final session of the third day after Victoria batted through to make 389 today.

Victoria 389 (Quiney 111, Stoinis 71, Philipson 7-106) beat Queensland 207 (Burns 86, Fawad 5-50) and 168 (Forrest 82, Siddle 3-28, Fawad 2-44) by an innings and 14 runs

Disappointing finish. Really should have performed better this match.

Rookie Valley allrounder Jack Wildermuth is set to become the ninth Queensland debutant this season following his inclusion today in the my FootDr Queensland Bulls side for this week’s must-win game against BUPA Sheffield Shield competition leaders WA at Allan Border Field.
Wildermuth, 21, could follow the path to a baggy maroon cap blazed by his late grandfather, Graham Bizzell, who played 30 matches for Queensland between 1961-62 and 1965-66.
A right-handed middle order batsman and right-arm medium-fast bowler, he comes into the Bulls squad in place of the injured Simon Milenko who broke his thumb in the outright loss to Victoria in Alice Springs last week.
Wildermuth’s Valley teammate Luke Feldman also returns to the Bulls squad after shaking off a minor groin complaint, replacing Jason Floros who was 12[SUP]th[/SUP] man against the Bushrangers.
Wildermuth played alongside Bulls squad members Mark Steketee, James Peirson and Nick Stevens in the Australian U-19 squad that played in the ICC U-19 World Cup two years ago.
If he plays against the Warriors, he will be the ninth player to make his first class debut this summer for the Bulls, the most since six players did so in 2001-02 when the newcomers included Nathan Hauritz, current captain James Hopes and Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson.
Wildermuth has scored 150 and taken a 7-wicket haul in an innings for Valley in the past two seasons and also scored a Toyota Futures League century for the Queensland Academy of Sport last summer.
The fourth-placed Bulls must win their remaining two home games, against WA and SA, outright if they are to feature in this season’s Shield season Final.
Bupa Sheffield Shield
Queensland v WA, Allan Border Field, Thurs – Sun, 10am start daily:
my FootDr Queensland Bulls: James Hopes (c), Cameron Boyce, Joe Burns, Luke Feldman, Peter Forrest, Peter George, Chris Hartley, Charlie Hemphrey, Chris Lynn, Michael Phillipson, Mark Steketee, Jack Wildermuth (12[SUP]th[/SUP] man to be named).

Blooded plenty of players this season. Hopefully it builds some depth for next season.

[h=2]Khawaja on the Comeback Trail[/h]
  • March 9, 2015
  • in The Bulls .

To say season 2014-15 has been a trying one for Usman Khawaja would be an understatement.
The stylish batsman’s quest to capitalise on his endless potential hit a significant roadblock in December after a torn anterior cruciate ligament cruelly ruled him out for the remainder of the summer on the eve of the KFC T20 Big Bash League.
It was Khawaja’s second major injury of the season, and by far the most serious he has suffered in his seven-year first-class career.
Things started relatively smoothly for the 28-year old early in the season after he flew out of the blocks in the Matador Cup, smashing 523 runs at an average of 74.41 to top the competition’s run scorers list.
His seven innings in the tournament included two centuries, with the highlight a superb 166 from 110 balls to help the my Foot Dr Queensland Bulls chase down a mammoth total of 399 against Tasmania at North Sydney Oval.
It was the type of form that had him in the frame to add to his three One-Day International caps and ultimately push for a World Cup berth.
His campaign however came to an abrupt end after sustaining a broken thumb that kept him out of the Bulls’ preliminary final loss to the New South Wales Blues and the start of the Sheffield Shield season.
Instead of winning matches for the Bulls and pushing for a national recall, he has had to spend most of the season on the sidelines, and admits struggling at times to watch his teammates play while knowing he can’t contribute.
“It’s disappointing that I can’t be a part of this, but the injury is coming along well. I’m at 10-weeks now since surgery and everything is going as planned. It’s a long process. I’m not even a quarter of the way through now, so there is still a lot of work to do,” Khawaja said while watching the Bulls play Western Australia at Allan Border Field last week.
“It’s been a bit up and down. I’ve never been out of the game for this long. As a cricketer you never hope to be out of the game, but this is the longest rehab injury you can get. It’s tough but I just try and stay really busy,” he continued.
While some cricketers love spending time watching the game, Khawaja admits to being a frustrated spectator which has often added to his pain of sitting on the sidelines.
“I’m a horrible cricket watcher. I’ve got no patience for watching cricket, but I force myself to come in and have some banter with the boys. It’s really hard for me to stay still when I’m watching.”
The next couple of months for Khawaja will be spent getting back to full fitness in the gym and pool before picking up the bat again in the off-season in an attempt to return bigger and better in 2015-16.
With such a long way back from injury he is unable to look as far forward as re-capturing his baggy green cap, however playing for Australia is definitely something he aspires to do again.
“It’s too far to think of (playing for Australia) but it’s obviously in the back of my mind. It’s something I wanted to do this season but unfortunately I can’t.
“I think everyone should be striving to reach that level no matter who you are, but first and foremost I need to stay fit, stay on the park then get some confidence back. Hopefully things take care of themselves from there.”
- See more at: Khawaja on the Comeback TrailQueensland Cricket

Teenage opening batsman Matthew Renshaw will become the season’s tenth debutant for the my FootDr Queensland Bulls in this week’s final Bupa Sheffield Shield match of the season.
The Toombul tyro comes into the squad in place of allrounder Michael Philipson for the match against South Australia starting on Friday at the Gabba.
Renshaw, 18, is coming off scores of 150 for Toombul and 175 for the Queensland Academy of Sport last week against Victoria in Melbourne.
The tall left-hander is a current member of the Australian Under-19 squad.
He will become the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] player to make his initial first class appearance this season for Queensland, and the fifth player under the age of 21 to debut.
Renshaw will be 18 years and 350 days old on Friday, making him the youngest player to make his first class debut for the State since Alister McDermott (18 years and five months) played for Queensland against the West Indies in November 2009 and the youngest batsman since Martin Love made his first class debut in the Shield Final against NSW in March 1993.
Born in Middlesbrough in England, Renshaw came to Australia with his family as a child. He spent last winter in England as part of the MCC’s Young Cricketer program and was included as a rookie contracted player in the Bulls squad this season.
Interim Bulls coach Justin Sternes said Renshaw had been rewarded for his late season form.
“He’s scored three centuries in the past month and a bit, at differing levels, with two of them being scores of 150 or above,’’ he said.
“There’s an eye to the future certainly, but his selection is well deserved and gives him the opportunity to bat at the Gabba as part of his development. For the team balance, it is also good to have a left hander in our top order as well.”
Pace bowler Ben Cutting retains his place in the twelve after being a late replacement for Luke Feldman who tore a groin muscle during training prior to last week’s game against WA.
South Australia are in sixth spot on the Shield ladder while Queensland remain in fourth after missing out on a final day run chase against the Warriors.
The squad will train tomorrow from 10am at the Gabba.
Wicket-keeper Chris Hartley will be keen to complete a strong summer in the last game of the season after scoring his 5000th first class run and taking his 500th first class dismissal during the game against the Warriors.
Bupa Sheffield Shield
Queensland v South Australia, Fri – Mon, 10am start daily:
my FootDr Queensland Bulls: James Hopes (c), Cameron Boyce, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Peter Forrest, Peter George, Chris Hartley, Charlie Hemphrey, Chris Lynn, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Jack Wildermuth (12[SUP]th[/SUP] man to be named).

SA 230

Hopes 4
George 3
Cutting 1
Wildermuth 2

Qld 2/50

2014-15 Queensland Cricket Awards Ian Healy Trophy Bulls Player of the Year: Joe Burns
Konica Minolta Queensland Fire Player of the Year: Jessica Jonassen
Brisbane Heat MVP: Peter Forrest Bulls Players’ Player: James Hopes
Brisbane Heat Best Team Man: James Peirson
Bupa Sheffield Shield Player of the Year: Joe Burns
Matador Cup Player of the Year: Usman Khawaja
Bulls Fielding Award: Peter Forrest
Queensland Academy of Sport Player of the Year: James Peirson
State Government Queensland Country Player of the Year: Ben O’Connell
Queensland Thunder Indoor Player of the Year: Adam Toussaint
Queensland Lightning Indoor Player of the Year: Peta Maloney
Queensland Youth Player of the Year: Sam Heazlett
Konica Minolta Queensland Fire Youth Player of the Year: Abigail Godfrey

Last edited:

Active Now

• ostin86
  • Broncosgirl
  • Kev_Guz
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • BroncosAlways
  • simplythebest
  • Strop
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.