NEWS Cameron Smith announces retirement

My impression is that Cam knew 2020 was his last season but he was playing such good football he didn't want to admit it. I think he was so focused on winning the premiership, he didn't want to pay any thought to 2021 and he just wanted to savour that moment as long as he could. I'm sure there were some second thoughts along the way but the sooner the season approached the more he realised he couldn't do his career justice and he had the perfect ending.

He's the best competitor I've seen in Rugby League, nobody had his will to win and he made the game look so easy. I've never seen a more reviled player in my whole life, reading through some Wally Lewis books, it sounds like he's in great company.
Best competitor? I don’t think he showed anywhere near the passion of Thurston, or even Lockyer for that matter. Great player no doubt, but I’m off him.

While I don’t think the Melbourne are going to crash badly without Smith, I am interested in how many more penalties they’ll get pinged with now they’ve lost the “master negotiator”.
Hopefully the days of them getting away with murder are numbered?

Imagine the level of narcissism needed to wait till the day before the season kicks off to announce your retirement.
Good riddance to the merkin. Outstanding footballer permanently tarnished by cheating and dodgy Melbourne tactics.

I think it would’ve been pretty epic if he just never announced it and just got on with life. Never offficially retiring.

I assume he’s got some coaching role lined up that he’s had to declare his retirement in order to commence due to cap policies.

Last edited:
Imagine the level of narcissism needed to wait till the day before the season kicks off to announce your retirement.
Good riddance to the merkin. Outstanding footballer permanently tarnished by cheating and dodgy Melbourne tactics.
It’s not narcissism. He’s a troll. The fact so many are so pissed off about it proves one thing: cam wins again.

12972B34 3235 4FF3 BBEC 147234D50873

I'd prefer to be in the Storms position than ours. Losing Smith isn't the end of the world. The guys coming through seem to have far better attitudes than anyone wearing a Broncos jersey and the ones arriving with expetations on them are actually performing.
Stick around for what I'm going to be calling the Dearden dynasty. 22+ is going to be lit AF.

Cam Smith a troll? hahaha ok. 100% he wouldn't have a clue what a "troll" is.
No I’m sure he’s never been slandered by a troll. a bloke as dumb as him would be clueless 🙄

No I’m sure he’s never been slandered by a troll. a bloke as dumb as him would be clueless 🙄
Im sure he spends hours and hours on internet forums checking out the slanderous trolls.
Dude would barely have time to check twitter let alone pay attention to any online media criticizing him.

How is he the Tom Brady? He only played for one team. Cronk is the Tom Brady
Lazo would be winning a stack of premierships at three different clubs. Including an expansion side that had just entered the competition.

Last edited:
I lost 30 bucks!

Hate him as much as you want, but he was a brilliant footballer. Nothing wrong with pushing the rules in game, in some ways was smarter than a lot of others!
Nothing wrong with pushing the rules no. But when you are captain of a club that had a premiership stripped due to cheating, captain of the club that pioneered chicken wing, crusher and cannonball tackles, and turned the game into 50% footy, 50% wrestling, well then, the hate is 100% warranted.

Im sure he spends hours and hours on internet forums checking out the slanderous trolls.
Dude would barely have time to check twitter let alone pay attention to any online media criticizing him.
The guy is only 37 and he has spent the majority of his time around millennial team mates. He knows what a troll is. My mum knows what a troll is.

The guy is only 37 and he has spent the majority of his time around millennial team mates. He knows what a troll is. My mum knows what a troll is.
That's true enough, still don't think Cam is a "troll" though.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • Harry Sack
  • Morkel
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • mrslong
  • Wolfie
  • Broncs1459
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Waynesaurus
  • Scorchie
  • Sproj
  • whykickamoocow
  • broncos4life
  • Wendall Taylor
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.